Subject: My EuroQuest recap, and a question.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thank everyone who made EuroQuest successful. It was a blast. I missed out on a few euros I wanted to play (Brass and Cuba are the two that come to mind), but I got to play a ton of stuff, including Amyitis, Age of Empires III and Agricola (ask Rokkr how to pronounce the game). My adept use of luck helped me win a bunch of the quicker wildcard games (mostly Can't Stop and Lost Cities), which got me 24th place in the wildcard! WOOHOO (lol). I did get to meet, talk to, and game with a bunch of new gamers; this is lways something I hope to do at a con. The light stuff included Antler Island (a hoot with the right crowd, cuz it's about deer doin the deed, and could definitely be a party game).

I gamed a ton, and the low point was when I started to really not feel well, probably because of lack of sleep. I AM glad I stayed to game some on the last day, because dweeb (the drunken bean avatar guy) showed me Kaching. I didn't know combit was rethemed and reprinted. I LOVE this little game, so much so I'll probably get a copy of Kaching.

I don't know if this was the action of one person, but I was happy to see games like Descent, StarCraft, and a few other American style games at Euroquest. I didn't get to play them, but I was glad they were available to play.

Even though I had a great time, I noticed a possible trend over the past two EQ events I have attended. There are a rather large number of gamers that tend to game with the same people repeatedly. I can only assume these people are from each other's game groups. I understand that Euroquest provides an excellent opportunity to preview games just shown at Essen; obviously this could be a very attractive part of EuroQuest to some gamers. I also understand the importance of social compatibility for many people. My question is: if you are going to game with the same people, why wouldn't you just save the thirty bucks, and each of you buy one of the new games with the money you saved? I absolutely do NOT want to detract people from coming to this con, but I'm just curious. If the reason is to support the convention and GCOM, I thank you all very much for supporting the convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
daveroswell wrote:
My question is: if you are going to game with the same people, why wouldn't you just save the thirty bucks, and each of you buy one of the new games with the money you saved?

I don't attend conventions for the opportunity to play new games. I don't mind who I play games with at conventions as long as they're a reasonable player and not overtly offensive. The gaming comes first. I only attend conventions in order to get concentrated gaming for an extended period. I know that at a convention I'll be pretty much able to play the games I wish to play non-stop for the entire period of the convention and that's worth the price of entrance (to a local convention) for me. (I will not travel/fly/etc to a distant gaming convention just for gaming: I get enough gaming locally)

Quote:
If the reason is to support the convention and GCOM, I thank you all very much for supporting the convention.

I'll often end up playing games at local conventions with the same people I play with locally. Why? They're there to play games just like I am and it is simply easier to play with people you know (who probably also already know the game) than strangers. Yes, we could have all stayed away and played together and saved the money bought new games etc, except that would have required a level of organisation and schedule commitment that is more difficult and time expensive than it is worth to me. It is cheaper for me to simply pay the entrance fee and grab players from the pool who are already there (and thus interested and willing to play games) than it is to try an organise anything. The fact that some of the people I grab might be locals I already play with is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
Even though I had a great time, I noticed a possible trend over the past two EQ events I have attended. There are a rather large number of gamers that tend to game with the same people repeatedly. I can only assume these people are from each other's game groups. I understand that Euroquest provides an excellent opportunity to preview games just shown at Essen; obviously this could be a very attractive part of EuroQuest to some gamers. I also understand the importance of social compatibility for many people. My question is: if you are going to game with the same people, why wouldn't you just save the thirty bucks, and each of you buy one of the new games with the money you saved? I absolutely do NOT want to detract people from coming to this con, but I'm just curious. If the reason is to support the convention and GCOM, I thank you all very much for supporting the convention.

Personally, I come for the tournament action. More generally, a con like this (or the WBC) gives me an opportunity to see how I stack up against some of the top players around. That I happen to know so many others (who also happen to come) is, for me, happy coincidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United States
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again, Dave! It was nice meeting you even though we didn't end up gaming together.

I guess I did game with a few people multiple times, though I don't think I ever played two games with the exact same opponents. Rarely were fellow players from my game group. I did know many of them from previous gaming experiences, but most of the people I gamed with were people whom I only get to see a couple times a year. I also got to play with many fun new gamers I met this weekend (Zalasta, bfoy, Alex, and a dozen or so others whose names escape me at the moment -- sorry). So there may have been some people just sticking with their own game group, but there also may be a little more to the story than first meets the eye.

BTW, thanks to Keith, JP, and all the rest of the EuroQuest guys. What an awesome con! No hassles, just lots of games and a fabulous selection of free snacks and soda. Woo hoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
I gamed a ton, and the low point was when I started to really not feel well, probably because of lack of sleep.]

Sorry to have missed you this year, Dave. I'd thought about making a last minute appearance, but was feeling run down most of the weekend.
Quote:
Even though I had a great time, I noticed a possible trend over the past two EQ events I have attended. There are a rather large number of gamers that tend to game with the same people repeatedly.

As caesarmom notes, things are not always as they seem. For example, a few years ago at EQ I played three straight games with the same group of people -- none of whom I knew from outside the convention. Sometimes it's just easier to move straight into another game with a group that's already together than for everyone to try to find a new group that's also wrapping up a game around that same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
Even though I had a great time, I noticed a possible trend over the past two EQ events I have attended. There are a rather large number of gamers that tend to game with the same people repeatedly. I can only assume these people are from each other's game groups. I understand that Euroquest provides an excellent opportunity to preview games just shown at Essen; obviously this could be a very attractive part of EuroQuest to some gamers. I also understand the importance of social compatibility for many people. My question is: if you are going to game with the same people, why wouldn't you just save the thirty bucks, and each of you buy one of the new games with the money you saved?

In my case, I guess the truth is, I'm a bit shy. I'm just not the type of guy to hold a game over my head and shout "WHO WANTS TO PLAY?" at the top of my lungs. Sure, you can get in some games by circling the room and waiting for a game to start that has openings (and I did get a few in this way), as a veteran of this practice, you end up spending as much time circling as gaming.

That said, the people I did end up playing multiple games with were often people who I only get to see a few times a year anyway (hi Michelle!). And when a good friend like Jeff Kahan is interested in teaching me lots of new games, and I'm really interested in learning new games, it seems like a good fit, really.

In any case, I had a blast at EuroQuest. On the other hand, I'll now be experiencing Agricola withdrawal for the next 6 months...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Dave, for coming this year. It was good to see you.

I think your question is a good one. I live in the MD area so the convention isn't far for me although I do rent a room just because there's very little downtime for me as it's a non-stop, four day gaming event which is enough of an attraction. Like Mike K, I enjoy the tournaments (where you are going to be paired randomly with whomever) but also for the opportunity to meet and play with old friends but also new people from different parts of the country; for example, this year, enjoyed playing PR with Sam Atabaki from CA, who won the PR tournament, and also Rob Kirchner, who was a tough opponent for me in the Imperial final (Rob went on to succeed four-time HLS winner Arthur Field in an incredibly close contest after he managed to work his way to four final tables).

The one kind of event that we have at EQ that kind of bridges the gap between tournaments and open gaming is the Wild Card event, where you have 15 games to choose from and you fill out a scoresheet that is entered in on a computer at the front desk, and the results are updated constantly sort of like a leaderboard in a golf tournament. You can choose the opponents and the game based on the amount of time available. When I play in a Wild Card game, it's really kind of hit-or-miss who I play with, but generally when I have a choice it's got to be a game I really enjoy (because when I play that game I know I am voting for its inclusion next year) and generally I try to play with people who are at or near the top of the leaderboard, as that is likely to guarantee a game that will be as competitive as possible.

Since there are a few rules governing the Wild Card event (such as you can't start a game after midnight), I save the late-night gaming and last day of the Con for open gaming and learning new games like I did this year, for games like Agricola and Race for the Galaxy (thanks to Jerry Hagen and Kevin Walsh for walking me through these new games). We also have scheduled demos for all new games in the Wild Card event and for all the main event tourneys, and I should note that one of the new tournaments (Imperial) was won by a player (Pete Eirich) who was new to the game (I taught him everything he knows about the game except for that move where Austria shut down those three Italian factories!).

As a side-note, Dave (the lead poster) managed to defeat me in a quick game of Can't Stop for 7 Wild Card points to take a very short-lived lead in the Wild Card competition, as we were the first ones to turn in a scoresheet for a completed game.

(Hope to post something here at BGG in the form of a personal Geek list of games played once I have more time to recover from the Con.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
daveroswell wrote:
Even though I had a great time, I noticed a possible trend over the past two EQ events I have attended. There are a rather large number of gamers that tend to game with the same people repeatedly.

I guess I can be guilty of this. I am a really shy person honestly (it's a lot better now that I'm older), it's just not as easy to go up to people and ask if they have a spot available or even to initiate a game. However, during this past weekend, I actually played with more people that I met at the convention than those that I've known from my GCOM group (Dave only invited me like twice, but Bob was nicer to me ).

I was especially thankful for Michelle and Kevin who took the time to teach me new games and to put up with me, I hope we can play a few more games together later this week at BGG.con!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
My question is: if you are going to game with the same people, why wouldn't you just save the thirty bucks, and each of you buy one of the new games with the money you saved?

In my case, I only do open gaming (I'm hyper-non-competitive) and I tend to play with the same people most times. Since we're not local to the Baltimore area, we only get to see our GCOM friends a few times a year, so we tend to maximize our playing time together. The other main group of people I gamed with is also not from the Baltimore area, and not from my area; they're from DC, so we get to see them even fewer times a year. Consequently those were the groups I hung out with the most.

There were two people from my regular group that were there. The one I hung out with all weekend, but that's because he's my best friend, and I only get to see him a couple of times a month. It was great hanging and talking -- there were several multi-hour stretches where we didn't play anything, just sat around to shoot the bull (or was it a big blue ox?). The other guy I don't think I played any games with, but that's just because our schedules were out of wack.

For some people, it's all about the gaming. For others, it's all about the people. Neither is better than the other, in general, but most people I know fall towards one end of the spectrum or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thought on the subject of why people go to Cons and the tournament play versus open gaming dichotomy ...

You often read posts here on BGG about the uber-competitive, pain in the a** super-competitive people you meet playing in tournaments, but frankly I think there's another side of the coin as well. By playing in tournaments where you get randomly paired with people, you may well meet someone who winds up being a long-term gaming friend whom you would not have ordinarily met had you simply stuck to open gaming with friends. I think back on many of the folks I enjoyed playing with at this year's EQ, particularly folks from other parts of the country, and most of them are people I met through tournaments at WBC, PrezCon or elsewhere, where I happened to be paired with them in a tournament or where I was the tournament GM and that person was one of the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Jones
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding your question, I gave it some thought after you posted. This weekend, I played with 14 people from my regular gaming groups and 11 people that are not. This seems pretty reasonable until I consider the fact that I played many games with the people from my own group, and only 1 or 2 with each of the others. 12 of the 17 games I played included my husband. I realize that may be a bothersome thought to some of you, but we have been married for 20 years, so I can put up with that much Bob.cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dunning
United States
Kenmore
New York
flag msg tools
mb
daveroswell wrote:
Even though I had a great time, I noticed a possible trend over the past two EQ events I have attended. There are a rather large number of gamers that tend to game with the same people repeatedly. I can only assume these people are from each other's game groups. I understand that Euroquest provides an excellent opportunity to preview games just shown at Essen; obviously this could be a very attractive part of EuroQuest to some gamers. I also understand the importance of social compatibility for many people. My question is: if you are going to game with the same people, why wouldn't you just save the thirty bucks, and each of you buy one of the new games with the money you saved? I absolutely do NOT want to detract people from coming to this con, but I'm just curious.

I'll try to answer your question Dave. The Gaming Community is a subculture made of subcultures. Different subculture members are likely to find each other and hang out together.

The first cultural split of this Con goes back to it's origins: this Con was founded by and is supported by two different organizations: GCOM and the BPA. GCOM is a [large and well organized] local Gaming Club. The BPA exits to support the World Boardgaming Championships and other tournament gaming. The attendees of this Con largely come from the memberships of these two organizations. For the most part the BPA attendees travel long distances to attend EQ and are there for Wood, Laurels and most importantly the competition. The GCOM folks are largely local social gamers out for an extended weekend of extended gaming. For the most part the BPA folks are spending most of thier time in tournaments and for the most part the GCOM folks are in open gaming.

I spent most of my Con time in Tournament games. You spent most of your Con time in open gaming. Even though we were rommates I never did play a single game with you during the length of the Con.

Your question has more relevance to open gaming though. I think the main split among open gamers at this Con was folks looking to play new games and folks just looking for social gaming, not particularly interested in learning new games. I think both of these groups at EQ were there to get in a lot of concentrated gaming. They're going to get in more games if they can 'stay seated' with like minded players and just start another game. Finding new dance partners takes time that could be spent playing. Learning new games takes time that could be spent playing already learned games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't go to game, just for the free snacks.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to those who put this in perspective.

I have to say, there are a few people I only see at conventions also, so I can understand the "I only get to see them twice a year" reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
New Freedom
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:

I don't know if this was the action of one person, but I was happy to see games like Descent, StarCraft, and a few other American style games at Euroquest. I didn't get to play them, but I was glad they were available to play.

Great feedback Dave. We love to hear suggestions. One way we're looking to include American style games and to facilitate players to play games outside their small group of friends is by holding TrashFest 2008. TrashFest 2008 will be held at Game Days, May 1 – 4 at the Days Inn in Timonium, Maryland. http://gamedays.gamesclubofmd.org/. We’ll have a separate TrashFest 2008 flyer soon but here are some of the early details.

This will be a wildcard format similar to the wildcard at Euroquest. The games to be included are: Twilight Imperium, Arkham Horror, Prophecy, Fury of Dracula, Battlelore, Return of Heroes, Nexus Ops, Roborally, any version of Risk, Last night on Earth and Cash$Guns.
There may also be some demos or individual games set up for things like StarCraft or Descent.

Let me know if anyone is interested in helping out with this event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.