BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Homemade Sequence game board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessica Hinck
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Help! I am looking for instructions on how to make a homemade Sequence board game. My grandparents made one years ago but don't have the instructions any more. They used wood on the first one they made, but they discovered plexi-glass is lighter. They used one deck of cards to make the board. The cards were cut a certain size and layed out. Then they covered it with contact paper. We spent Thanksgiving with them and my daughters fell in love with the game. I would like to be able to make a board with them so we can play at home! I know you can buy the board game at a store, but I like the idea of a homemade game that my girls and I can do together.
If anyone can help me, I would greatly apprecitate it.
Thanks, Mamajes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you're looking for card layout, there are at least a couple different versions pictured in the gallery. See Sequence.

My grandfather made one just by overlapping cards (no cutting), gluing to plywood, and covering with plexiglass. A large plexiglass-paned poster frame could do the same job with a little less effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
badge
"No matter how low your opinion of Washington DC, it's nothing compared to Washington DC's low opinion of you."
mb
While, of course, it doesn't really matter where the cards go, the sequence/spiral pattern of the layout does make it easier to find the cards on the board while keeping things a bit mixed-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great project to do with your kids! If you want something easier to cut and work with than plywood, I'd suggest matte board. You can buy it inexpensively (and in just about any color you want) at a craft store (and big chain stores have 40% off coupons available in weekly fliers). You could even use posterboard (large sheets of colored card stock).

I'd suggest taking the finished board (base with cards glued to it) and having it laminated for long term durability. Won't cost more than a few dollars and will really add a nice finish to your project.

Be sure to post a picture of your results!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
United States
California
flag msg tools
Greetings! This is a project that I'm about to complete. Tradition in our family is to make gifts for eachother at Christmas, and this year I decided to make a couple of Sequence boards based on one a friend of mine had. Here is an image of my friend's board on plywood and decko tape striping:

http://www.networkstar.net/images/Sequence1.jpg

And here is an image of one of my boards. I have not yet completed it. I need to install some pin stripeing between the cards and on the edges, add varnish over the top and felt on the bottom to finish it off:

http://www.networkstar.net/images/Sequence2.jpg

Specifics for my board:
The board is a precut 18" round pine laminate that I found at Home Depot. I stained it with rosewood stain. One deck of cards is used for the placeholders.. two corners of each card cut out about 1 and 1/8" wide and tall. I used one of the extra instruction cards that comes with the deck as a cut out template to mark the back of each card before cutting allowing uniformity. With about 1/16" to 1/8" spacing between each placeholder, each side (10 spaces) is 12" wide. As you can see it fits well on the 18" round board. I marked off a 12"x12" square on the board, then started glueing each placeholder row by row. To finish off (not shown in the picture), I'll add 1/8" pin stripeing between all the placeholders, and either 1/4" or 1/2" pinstripe on the outter edges. Pinstripe can be found at your local autoparts store. I may even adorn the half moon spaces with extra cutouts of the different suits, or the middle bodies sections of the extra jacks not used as placeholders. Haven't decided yet. Finish it off with black felt applied with 3M General Trim Adhesive (also found at autoparts store).

One difference in these boards as opposed to the standard sequence board is that the four corners use jokers, which are kept in the two decks of cards used during play.

For the marker chips, I will be using decorative colored glass pebbles found at Michaels craft supply. These are the type used in floral arrangements, candles, fountans and aquariums. They come in a net bag with two to three colors in each bag.. about 150 pieces per bag (perfect!).

That's about all I can say. Pretty easy and fun project. I will post pictures of the finished product.

Enjoy and happy holidays!
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janet St. Clair
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
If you haven't received the information you needed to make a homemade sequence board game, then email me to let me know and I will get you the information for the one I made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.