Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You each get some more legoesque bricks, a catapult, some dudes and ammo.

Then you get The Tower.

The tower allows you to start the game with a captured guy in the cage that hangs from it. One of your guys stands on top (the guard).

The prisoner is freed by either hitting the target flag on the tower, physically opening the cage (it ain't gonna happen) OR by knocking the guard off. Three turns after the guard is off, the prisoner escapes, with no apparent way of setting a new guard to keep him there.

If anyone actually opens the tower by hitting it, they should give up their job and tour the B:C&C pro circuit. I mean, its suspended in the air, maybe 1" square, and hitting it (which will be purely by accident, I assure you) will simply shift the tower rather than open the cage.

As long as you have a prisoner, you are apparently torturing him for information, because you gain a third action for each turn.

Not that anyone will free that prisoner by hitting the target...

To make up for the fact that the game just sped up tremendously by upping actions from 2 to 3, you have 4 more dudes on each team that must be wiped out.

Now... SOMETHING is wrong with the math here.

This 20 minute game ballooned to well over an hour every time we had the towers. Taking three actions really increases the speed at which you can know over flags and get reinforcements. The number of guys on the field for each team simply hovers. If you're behind, take a fwe flag shots and even up the score.

The prisoner rule is great. Really. OK, so the tower is impossible to actually hit to open the cage, but its a lot of fun.

But I think you need some of those mass damage type weapons in the smaller expansion packs to up the possible casualty per turn number to exceed the number of flags you can down. Unfortunately, that also kind of raises the chance of hitting flags as well...

The tower truly adds an important objective to the game. Take out that prisoner, then target the opposing leader. If you get a few turns taking 3 actions and the other guy gets 1 ... ouch.

When it all comes down to it, its a stupid toy game expansion to a stupid toy game (and I mean that as a positive, really) and it does add some fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
If anyone actually opens the tower by hitting it, they should give up their job and tour the B:C&C pro circuit. I mean, its suspended in the air, maybe 1" square, and hitting it (which will be purely by accident, I assure you) will simply shift the tower rather than open the cage.

I have had no such problems as you describe, in the games i have played. Apart from one time when the "arm" and cage simply flew off, the cage has always opened.
But maybe adding some weight to the base of the castle would solve the problem?

We might be missing something, but why would you want to shoot for the flags? In our games the flags are only hit by stray shots, as we find it more valuable to shoot and remove figures!

I find this game tremendous fun, in a childish kind of way. So I actually ended up buying two sets of everything. laugh laugh
Hopefully I'll get a 4-player session going this weekend. With a bit of luck, someone has a camera and I'll be able to post some pictures of the carnage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
We might be missing something, but why would you want to shoot for the flags? In our games the flags are only hit by stray shots, as we find it more valuable to shoot and remove figures!

Sometimes flags are easier shots and getting back a guy to man a weapon rather than shooting with bad weapons or moving someone into position is a better deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but you need to hit all five flags, or three in one shot, to get men back (Unless there's an error in translation). It just feels like a lot of shots to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my mates is a Catapult diva...

"see that guy..."...WHAM

"see that flag..."...WHAM

I always try and have him on my team

And by the way - I'm not talking about simply being able to hit the guys he's aiming at - every kill is a head-shot! Getting clean head-shots with a catapult...it's nice to watch if your not on the other team.

Having said that - I find the catapults that come with the base game are remarkably accurate when you get used the trajectories. And the Ballista is a mean weapon on a smooth playing surface.

Of course - I do what you probably shouldn't do - each catapult and weapon has at least 2 elastic bands on it...

Cheers, and good review Geo!

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
My cage works fine.

You've been able to hit the target from 3' away for release?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
...it's nice to watch if your not on the other team.

How do you guys play in teams?
I am curios, since I'll hopefully be playing with some other people in the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T M
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Paul,

I played with my girlfriend for about an hour tonight and both cages opened multiple times from 4 feet away. She was using the trebuchet and I actually opened her cage once with a bouncing mortar hit (save the remarks, kiddies). I suggest doubling the rubber bands if you have not already. And on the advice of Chevy Chase, "Be the carom, Danny".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doubling the bands, while common elsewhere, is kind of cheating in our house.

We just have the base set weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Social interaction will cease!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
OverText is totally worth 100 units of imaginary, worthless currency
badge
What the Hell else am I supposed to do with GeekGold?
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, have had no problem. The cages open right up on any solid hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, well, all you guys hitting the target are... are...

You know what you are. You know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Doubling the bands, while common elsewhere, is kind of cheating in our house.

If both players have doubled-up bands, it's not cheating. There's no advantage or disadvantage on either side. It simply makes the game more exciting for all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solo Prisoner
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
I'll agree that the cage's flags are difficult targets to hit (unless you're a 5 year old shooting recklessly, the cage is usually the first thing to go!). But, once it's hit, it's open.

My buggery is after spending 20+ rounds aiming at that flag, I'll accidentally hit the cage, which then springs open. Now I'm looking at another long stretch trying to pluck the guard off the cage tower!

The optimal solution? Be 5 years old, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Χρήστος Gamerman
Greece
flag msg tools
I can't find it. If someone sells it, please contact me by GeekMail. I'm from Greece. ANYTIME. Even if my post is old. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.