Subject: So you have the game, but not an 8-bit computer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries! Not everyone still has their trusty Commodore 64 and 1541 set-up in the den. Thanks to the power of today's computers and emulation, you too can experience the joy of playing this game--and not have to suffer through an agonizing 1541 load!!

This game appeared on the Commodore 64 and Apple II. I prefer the c64 version, because that's what I played on as a kid. However, the Apple version may be easier to use for some because it can be played online via the Virtual Apple (please note: I could not get keyboard input to work):

http://www.virtualapple.org/oilbaronsdisk.html

To run the C64 version:

Step 1: Get an emulator.

There are lots out there. My favorite is VICE, which is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Go here:

http://www.viceteam.org/

Step 2: Get a disk image of the game.

This game came on one 5.25" floppy. However, since both sides were used, there are actually two disk images. Please note that using a disk image is a "gray area" in terms of IP--many consider it to be as bad as pirating. HOWEVER, the Oil Barons disk image is useless without the board and physical pieces. I think it is safe to assume that anyone using the image actually owns the game. Here's where I found the image:

http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/zips/oilbaron.zip

Step 3: Install Vice and unzip the disk image.

Just follow the prompts. Pretty easy.

Step 4: Mount the image to device 8

Start Vice. Vice comes with different executables, depending on the type of Commodore you want to emulate. Use the "x64" executable. The C64's primary disk drive is device 8. Hit "ALT 8" or Select FILE -- ATTACH DISK IMAGE -- DRIVE 8. From the drop down select the disk image for Side A.

Step 5: Load the game.

At the ready prompt, type the following:

LOAD"*",8,1 [hit enter]

NOTE: the C64's keyboard is mapped differently than a PCs. This is a little annoying. The " symbol is mapped to "shift 2" (i.e. the @ on a modern keyboard) and the "*" symbol is mapped to the "}]" -- that's where they physically were on a real C64.

When the READY prompt returns, type:

RUN [hit enter]

The game will now load. SLOWLY. The C64 disk drive (1541) was SLOW. As you get more familiar with Vice, you may want to download and mount a fastload cartridge image.

Eventually you will need to switch disks. Too bad the game doesn't support multiple drives. Hit "ALT 8" or follow the directions above to mount the new image to drive 8. Select side B.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link! I have the Apple II version in the back of my closet somewhere. It's one of the few Apple II games I kept. The others are Starcross and Suspended (because of the vacuum formed boxes) and Wilderness. Can't wait to get home and try this tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! The game can run long, but it's fun to play every now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.