Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul B.
United States
Frostburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GF and I played the old copy of FiF which I picked up at a thrift store a few weeks ago. We've never played before, I hadn't even opened the box except to confirm that the components appeared to basically all were intact. She read through the rules quickly and made sense of them while I sorted out the components, tossing the used and residual from the previous owners.

We immediately recognized the strategic element (which I like a lot) of picking favorable categories. The rules are vague about how to handle the fact of an advantage to getting to pick from more than one card. So, we made an on the spot rule that the first round is randomly determined who would get the most cards. After that, the person who was behind in the game would get the most cards for that round.

For first timers we did well the first 2 rounds with scores between 102 and 134. First round class/categories were: Queens, Aircraft Military Designations, Mixed Drinks, Port Cities, Olympic Sports. Letters: 2 Wild, A, W, T. GF ran Mixed Drinks, I ran Military Aircraft. I opened a 32 point lead. By the way, is Tijuana a port city?

Second Round class/categories were: American Athletes, Foreign Words over 3 letters, Female Biblical Figures, Hand Tools, Authors of Children's stories. Letters: B, A, L, Y, Wild. I was horrid in that last one. Cleaned up in Athletes. GF did well with the Bible and authors. My lead lengthened, but not by much.

Third Round was agony, and it needn't have been. We did have some fun answers, though. Classes/Categories: Living Foreign Politicians, Public Corporations, Nobel Prize Scientists, Foreign Writers, Academy Award Winning Actors/Actresses. Letters: M, L, F, Y, I. We stunk up the joint big time. 23 and 28 points, me enlarging my lead by only 5 points. Best Foreign Writer pick was Karl Marx. Best public corporation: Martha Stewart Omnimedia. Best Foreign Leader: Yeltzin.

Fourth Round was after a lengthy phone call, we were getting tired as it was getting late. It was the Music Round! Categories/Classes: American Song Titles, Living Religious Leaders, (Wild) Songs by Madonna (GF's fave), Living Musicians, American Historical Monuments/sites. Letters: P, S, M, A, L. GF cuts into my lead a bit. Funny, GF loves Madonna, picked that category strategically. I got more songs!

Last Round, I'm carrying a 38 point lead. Actors/Actresses (GF former theater major), Camera Product Names, Colleges and Universities in Idaho (GF from Idaho), Card Playing Experts (I'm a bridge nerd), Comic Strip Characters. Letters: S, P, L, H, Wild. GF runs Actors, we both run comic characters. I run Cameras and get 4 of 5 card players. We tie Idaho Colleges. Yes! I prevail!

Paul 481
Stacey 397

We will play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.