Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carol Carpenter
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the game Zooloretto; unfortunately I think zoos are morally wrong (please don't debate me on this here - that's not what this post is about). So, I would like to create a new game with a different theme, and am looking for ideas. I would like to keep the animal theme - I first thought of maybe it's a wildlife preserve - but it's hard to find something where you as a player aren't "collecting" animals and taking them out of their natural habitat and away from their families.
So, if you change the animals to objects, for example, you are building a carnival theme park, then how would you handle the reproduction/offspring issue?
Brainstorming ideas welcome....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be offline for most of today, but I am predicting 48 responses to this thread. Gentlemen, start your engines.

Also, I like a post-apocalypic theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could always make it about slave trading instead.

I know, I know, there's just this evil thing inside me, is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Carol,

Like the new avatar.

How about Botanetto? You are a botanist trying to collect different species of rare plants. Each enclosure can be a bed where you are trying to raise the plants. Occasionally, you'll get them to reproduce under the right circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kvn299 wrote:

How about Botanetto? You are a botanist trying to collect different species of rare plants. Each enclosure can be a bed where you are trying to raise the plants. Occasionally, you'll get them to reproduce under the right circumstances.

This would be called Garden Competition, except the weeds do the reproducing instead of the flowers. hmm.

How about RoboZooloretto? Just say they are future robot animals. Reproduction happens automatically if two are put together (the factory makes another of the same) they breed to make it "look right" to bystanders who are wanting to feel how zoos used to be before they were banned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, your wildlife preserve idea sounds fine. If you don't like collecting animals from the wild, well, there are groups that take "domestic" animals and retrain them to live in the wild. Maybe the players can be doing that?

Edit: PS - That's a great album cover on your avatar. Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

Mapplethorpe shot that photo, IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvn299 wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Mapplethorpe shot that photo, IIRC.
Yes, I remember that the liner notes had a short essay about him taking her photos and the controversy when some of his homoerotic photos were shown in a museum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't think of the "reproduction aspect" as "reproduction", but rather two special unique items make a third item... then your options open up a bit.

Here's one that popped into my head:

Treasuretto

Perhaps you are an archaeologist or a pirate going around collecting antiquities or treasures. Perhaps some of them are locked containers (special-1) and other items are keys (special-2) when put together, release a third item of value. Maybe you are putting them into museums, so the visitors theme and cart functionality would essentially be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! Treasuretto makes sense! And made me think of "art museum curator-etto"

Each player has an art museum. Each room in the museum must be dedicated to a single artist. Groups of paintings come up for purchase/donation.

If you get the left+right parts of a triptych into the same room, then an anonymous donor will automatically donate third part to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
starspangledgirl wrote:
I first thought of maybe it's a wildlife preserve - but it's hard to find something where you as a player aren't "collecting" animals and taking them out of their natural habitat and away from their families.

(To be serious for a moment...)

Since you were intentionally somewhat vague on your objection to zoos (and I agree, better not to get into it here) it's hard to be sure, but certainly there are people who take animals out of their natural habitat and such simply to provide them with medical attention. Whether animals in such a shelter would or should mate is a point of realism that might be hand-waved. So it might be Animal Rescueloretto.

I think I like some of the other ideas better, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
starspangledgirl wrote:
I first thought of maybe it's a wildlife preserve - but it's hard to find something where you as a player aren't "collecting" animals and taking them out of their natural habitat and away from their families.

(To be serious for a moment...)

Since you were intentionally somewhat vague on your objection to zoos (and I agree, better not to get into it here) it's hard to be sure, but certainly there are people who take animals out of their natural habitat and such simply to provide them with medical attention. Whether animals in such a shelter would or should mate is a point of realism that might be hand-waved. So it might be Animal Rescueloretto.

I think I like some of the other ideas better, though.

All that really needs to be done is to convert the current Zooloretto to competing free-range animal parks without bars and cages.

After all, I myself also don't gravitate toward the old bars-and-cages notions of zoo enclosures for animals. In the future, I predict the notion of zoos or free-range animal parks will be more like attending an IMAX film experience where you would appear to be able to view up close and move among different herds or groups of animals all around you but they wouldn't be the least bit bothered since they'd only be 3-D holographic transmissions from footage shot on location in their natural native environs.

The free-range animal park theme would also be applicable to Jurassic Park, although it could also present something more of a balancing act carnivores-versus-herbivores-wise.

Or how about Dinosaurtopiaoretto?

(Let face it: It's either that or Alcatrezoretto, where the cages become prison cells, and the animals become top mobsters, criminals, hit men and killers. Only, players would be prison wardens, each trying to best the others bragging-rightswise to collect the most notorious criminals for his own prison! yuk )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you could make it where an SPCA shelter picks up different kinds of abandoned animals that are shipped in on trucks for them to care for.

Different dog/cat breeds, mainly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
museum wings collecting exhibits is a theme I'm working on in a game that would also fit Zooloretto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmb
Laurie Anderson is one of the few people I've seen multiple times (I've seen her live 4 times now).

How about making the trucks brown.

Making the chits Euro games, AT games, card games, dice games, etc.

And then the board can be different size gaming shelves.

You can buy and extra shelf if you need room. If you don't put a game on the shelf you can put it on the gaming table, but watch out if it's on the table some might walk off with it and put it on their shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
So it might be Animal Rescueloretto.

I don't know much about Zooloretto, but that seems like the easiest and best idea here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would use vampires sirering followers. I make everything into a vampire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I make every game into post-apocalyptic auto combat.

However, on Antelope Island on Utah the wild Bison are rounded up for innoculation and occasionally transport to other areas to provide genetic diversity. Maybe there's something there you could work with.

Also, I am not joking, but I like the theme of mental health. The game would be a contest of getting the right blends of adenosine, dopamine, and other neurochemicals in order to keep from getting depressed, and getting the right mix of drugs with the fewest side effects. Nobody would play that game unless they had too, but it could be fun *and* educational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In a post-apocalyptic auto combat world how much does a gallon of gasoline cost? Will there be post-apocalyptic Sheetz gas stations where I can still get my combination French Vanilla/Creme Brulee coffee?
I hope so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know! The players are medieval courtesans who are trying to gather as many cubes as possible in 3 colors to impress the king. The king likes things in threes.

Now, if you can throw a Mediterranean map in there somehow, we'd be in business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Herman
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr.Baggins wrote:
I know! The players are medieval courtesans who are trying to gather as many cubes as possible in 3 colors to impress the king. The king likes things in threes.

Now, if you can throw a Mediterranean map in there somehow, we'd be in business.

I don't get it. Where's the cathedral fit in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading anecdotal accounts of the collapse of the Argentinian economy and the resulting chaos. There's a game in there but one that is too scary for me to ever play.

I think that in terms of retheming it helps to look at the mechanics. Basically, you are collecting sets. I think there is a re-themed Coloretto out there too.

Homeless pet rehabilitation is the obvious winner, but there are other possibilities:

1. Something like Enemy Chocolatier, with candy recipes and collecting ingredients

2. Grocery shopping

3. collecting furniture for a doll house/shopping at Ikea

4. building up a small country with industrial, agricultural and other components

5. Pyrotechnics: trying to get the best blend of ingredients without blowing yourself up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Collecting engineers for a secret project. Get the right two engineers and POW(!) bonus developments.

Could be industrial technology, or even weapons tech. Or I suppose GM based research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started weight watchers. So collecting foods worth different points would work as a theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Making the chits Euro games, AT games, card games, dice games, etc.

And then the board can be different size gaming shelves.

You can buy an extra shelf if you need room. If you don't put a game on the shelf you can put it on the gaming table, but watch out if it's on the table some might walk off with it and put it on their shelf.

I like this (also liked the museum/triptych idea). The reproduction can come in here because some of the games in each category will be specially marked ones that, when combined, give you an idea for a new variant or game design. Think about how often we try to describe new games as "known game A meets known game B." If you put both Pictionary and Charades on your party game shelf/enclosure, they will spawn a copy of Cranium. Or you could just look at it as the latest discount deal from your game vendor--buy A and B and they throw in C for free!

If you think of the whole thing as a game night, the vending stalls could represent snackage. There are only three different games on the Ameritrash table in your game room, but people are still gravitating to that table because it has pizza, so you get to score those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.