Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Schultz
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running into the same issues for which others are criticizing this game. There seems to be a problem with perpetually "chasing" pieces, especially after several pieces have been removed from the board. Now, let me clarify...I have only played Oshi 6 times, but in EVERY game we reach a point where it is an exercise in running around the board. After the first 5 or so points are won by both players, there doesn't seem to be enough options left on the board to accomplish anything. So, a typical game is fun for about the first 20 minutes and the next hour-and-a-half is spent maneuvering to no real effect.

I suppose my intention in posting this is to fish for suggestions to remedying this dilemma. Has anyone out there played with variant rules that work better? Would diminishing the VPs to 5 solve the problem? I really want to like this game, but 2 hours is just way too long to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Any shorter and those pieces would be chits.

Thank you, I'm here all week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
many plays and never encountered that problem. just institute a rule where after 'X' moves without a capture the player with most points already captured wins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely should have replied to this thread earlier.
Here is a perfect, practical example of the endgame futility described by the OP that can sometimes occur :
http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/Oshi/Oshi.php?archive-125

Giving this issue some thought after replaying the above game many months after originally playing it, I've come up with the following solution that I think is much better than the two suggestions made earlier. Those suggestions were:
1) Simply reduce the total VP count to 5, or
2) Use some variation of the "50 move rule" (without a capture) in order to trigger an adjudicated ending.

I think the winning condition should be:
The first player to capture (i.e., push off the board) 7 points (as in the original condition) *or* the first player to capture a total of 5 pieces.

Without this change, as demonstrated in the game played above by two experienced abstract strategy gamers, you can leave your opponent with only 3 pieces (out of 8) and still not achieve victory! As far as I can tell, the only configuration of captured pieces that seem to pose this problem is: Four of the 1-story pieces and one 2-story piece (1-1-1-1-2) for a total of 6 points.

In my online and OTB experience, I figure that having four sides of the board will make it difficult for all four remaining pieces to allude capture, whereas having only 3 pieces left (e.g., the three most powerful) it was actually quite easy as the sample game demostrates. Thankfully my opponent mercifully just threw in the towel, otherwise I don't know what would have happened to the game ... likely more endless cycles of chasing and evading with no way of forcing the last point.

I hope the designer considers this as an official change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.