Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bodrero
United States
Tremonton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only two plays on this so far, and they obviously didn't spend TONS of time on the rulebook, so my question concerns legal cubes and cube extensions.

Perhaps this is more a question of the artwork intent, but there are hallway looking white stripes between all of the floor areas. However, thess are ignored to my understanding when determining walking distances. Are they also ignored when determining legal cubes? On some of the cards, there may be an empty floor space, but on two (or three) sides across the "hallway" there are walls which could be used as cube walls for a legal cube if the "hallways" are ignored completely.

Another example: consider a two space cube of one row and two columns and card borders splitting the cube. The right top of the cubicle is open, as is the bottom left (table border in this case). The right side was claimed first, does it expand into the left side when the next card is played? Is it ever a legal grab for a two space cube?

Hope that makes sense. Any help would be great.

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Trimmer
United States
West Jefferson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good afternoon Ben!

benbodrero wrote:
Perhaps this is more a question of the artwork intent, but there are hallway looking white stripes between all of the floor areas. However, these are ignored to my understanding when determining walking distances.

The white areas on the cards just serve as dividers between all of the valid cube and walkway spaces (which includes the fax, printer, etc.). As you mentioned, they are indeed ignored when determining walking distances for bonuses and penalties.

benbodrero wrote:
Are they also ignored when determining legal cubes? On some of the cards, there may be an empty floor space, but on two (or three) sides across the "hallway" there are walls which could be used as cube walls for a legal cube if the "hallways" are ignored completely.

If I understand correctly, you're asking if new cubes can be formed by using the walls from other cubes on a card. The answer to that is 'no'.

On the card pictured below, the areas marked in red do not form a new cube where the red X is. That space is only to be used as a walkway.

benbodrero wrote:
Another example: consider a two space cube of one row and two columns and card borders splitting the cube. The right top of the cubicle is open, as is the bottom left (table border in this case). The right side was claimed first, does it expand into the left side when the next card is played?

I believe you're referring to a cube like the one shown below.

You're right that the rules are a bit ambiguous on what constitutes a legal cube. This is one of those forms that I've never been totally sure how to handle. If used as a two, it could provide an unfair scoring advantage due to the pair of exits. My wife and I currently treat this as two single cubes. Anyone else care to shed light on this?

benbodrero wrote:
Is it ever a legal grab for a two space cube?

I would say 'yes' to this question. In first example below, we're three turns into a two player game. Player 1 (using green) claims the cube marked "A" after placing a card (which is partially cut off) above the elevator. Player 2 (using red) then places his card on the lower right side of the elevator and claims the cube marked "B". Player 1 continues by placing a card above the one just placed by player 2. The cube marked "C" is claimed and has a 2 point bonus.

Example 1

In example two, the game continues and player 2 places the elevator card marked in red. The double cube "A" can now be legally claimed.

Example 2

Well, I hope some of that helps to answer your questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bodrero
United States
Tremonton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I wasn't sure how fast I would get an answer on this game. That does help a lot.

You were correct on the two-space cube that I asked about except that in our game it happened so that the lower left edge opend to the table, so it wasn't technically open until another card closed off that table space and converted it into open floor space.

Also, on having a cube with two openings: many of the single cubes only have two walls and therefore two openings if you look at it that way. It seems conceivable to make some sort of hallway cube which would certainly be something to argue about how to score. In the mean time I think I like looking at those kind of scenarios as two separate cubes as you do for simplicity.

Another question with that two (separate but neighboring) cube scenario: Say the left one had access to the elevator and someone claimed the right one. Someone could later claim the left one thereby blocking access to the elevator. Does the right cube still get scored at the end of the round without access to an elevator?

BTW, how did you make your pictures that you inserted? Pictures like that would certainly make any more of my questions more clear.

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Trimmer
United States
West Jefferson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again!

benbodrero wrote:
Thanks! I wasn't sure how fast I would get an answer on this game. That does help a lot.

No problem. I'm glad I could help!

benbodrero wrote:
Also, on having a cube with two openings: many of the single cubes only have two walls and therefore two openings if you look at it that way. It seems conceivable to make some sort of hallway cube which would certainly be something to argue about how to score.

I hadn't really thought about that before, but you're absolutely right. Can I smack my forehead and let out a loud "duh"? shake

In the image below, the player using the green stone gets access to thee bonuses thanks to the pair of exits

But if you had a standard U-shaped cube, your scoring bonuses change.

You know, in the end there's not much of a difference between the first example above and this...

I might have to reconsider how to deal with cubes like that. blush

benbodrero wrote:
Another question with that two (separate but neighboring) cube scenario: Say the left one had access to the elevator and someone claimed the right one. Someone could later claim the left one thereby blocking access to the elevator. Does the right cube still get scored at the end of the round without access to an elevator?

The scenario above couldn't actually happen according to the rules. Under "Playing Stones", the instructions state that "employees can walk through open spaces and through bonus squares, but not through cubicles or walls". So, the player couldn't legally claim the right cube if the pair is treated as separate. Access to the elevator through walkways would have to be provided before claiming the right cube.

benbodrero wrote:
BTW, how did you make your pictures that you inserted? Pictures like that would certainly make any more of my questions more clear.

All of the images are digital photos that I've cropped and manipulated for the examples. The work was all done in Photoshop and uploaded to my personal image gallery here on BGG. Then I simply called up the images using their imageID number. If you don't have access to Photoshop, you might want to give the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) a try.

Link: www.gimp.org

-Nate

edit: correcting a typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bodrero
United States
Tremonton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Under "Playing Stones", the instructions state that "employees can walk through open spaces and through bonus squares, but not through cubicles or walls". So, the player couldn't legally claim the right cube if the pair is treated as separate. Access to the elevator through walkways would have to be provided before claiming the right cube.

Indeed. I had conveniently remembered that as not being able to walk through occupied cubes, but I guess the rules aren't quite worded that way.

Thanks again. Your first reply has been printed and made into an official appendix to my copy of the rules. You will have to let me know about the double exit cube thing when you get a chance to play again and opinions of your group. Anybody else got an opinion on that?

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Trimmer
United States
West Jefferson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benbodrero wrote:
You will have to let me know about the double exit cube thing when you get a chance to play again and opinions of your group.

Will do! It unfortunately might be a little while until I can present any further thoughts. My friends and family are all currently hung up on "Wyatt Earp" and "Quicksand". shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benbodrero wrote:
You will have to let me know about the double exit cube thing when you get a chance to play again and opinions of your group. Anybody else got an opinion on that?

Ben

We just played for the first time, and our interpretation was that the 'hallway cube' counts as a double.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.