Subject: Painted miniatures anyone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Andersson
Sweden
Eksjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have anyone tried painting any of the Starcraft miniatures yet? Imo they're bound be cool, even though I probably would never have the patience to paint 'em all. I got an extra archon in my bag so sometime I'll give it a go.

A practical problem though would be how to know which team the respective unit belongs to. Even if you can leave the base unpainted on the ground troops there's always a risk you'll get some paint on it and want to paint it over. Therefore you'd probably need colors similar to each team. I don't know about flying units either. Maybe leave some areas in respective color just like they look like in the pc game?

If anyone has given it a try already please post some pictures!

/Pada
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, in the PC game the units had certain areas that would be team colored, but the rest default. For example Marines' shoulder pads were team colored, and the rest dark black/grey.

It's too much work for me right now, I'm still working on Battlelore! You'd better believe I've been looking at these SC figs seriously though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
When I painted some War of the Ring figures, I used masking tape and nail polish remover to keep the paint off the bases. It worked fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All My Hits Are Crits
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Its on my list of things do do... just way down it. Of coarse if someone puts up photo of ones they've done that may get me more motivated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Andersson
Sweden
Eksjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the interest is there anyway. Hope someone of you does it soon enough and post a picture of it. It was quite a while since I painted now so I don't know when my next painting run will kick in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Mancini
Australia
flag msg tools
Indeed I am.
I haven't actually played a game yet, but I've got friends coming over on Thursday and I'm two thirds of the way through so I've got an intense few days ahead . . .

But here we go so far, anyway.

Terran . . . (without the ghosts; I'm currently negotiating a replacement of a blue marine with no arms for the actual third Raynor Ghost... though I will have to paint them between now and thursday anyway)

And the Protoss...

and some other close ups . . .

Obviously I just went for the Faction Colours as per the original game; the flying bases are currently covered in tape which was there to stop them getting covered in undercoat . . . so I'm looking forwards to seeing them all done (I've got to give the whole lot an overcoat before I take it off, so . . . )...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work. The terrans look the easiest as it's only about 3 colours per model. I'm tempted to do the same, but firebats could be confusing and orange/yellow could get confused too. If I do paint them I'll definately make sure the bases are brightly painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Mancini
Australia
flag msg tools
Well like I said, I haven't played a game yet, so I'm not sure how important a factor the faction colour will be; as long as it's somewhat noticeable it shouldn't be too difficult not to forget which pieces are yours and which aren't...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Andersson
Sweden
Eksjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my god! They're really awesome!

Brilliant usage of the faction colors. Beautiful painting scheme, especially for the protoss faction. The reavers looks just perfect!

I really look forward to see what you'll do with the zergs. When you're done, have played with your friends and get some spare time over it would be a blast if you wrote and described "how" you painted them. Colors, methods, multi unit painting or painting them one at a time etc. etc. I really want to know what metal color you're using, because mine never looks that shiny.

Keep up the brilliant work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to town on those figs!
We play the game quite a bit but I just wouldn't have the time to paint them even though it would look so much better and add lots to the game. But I paint mini's for Warhammer, 40K, and lots of other mini games so any board games that come with miniatures usally don't get painted, like Battlelore, Memior 44, War of the Ring, Tide of Iron. Although I have painted a bunch of the Descent and Doom mini's.
Anyways it's inspiring to see this effort and it may drive me to try and one day get around to painting the Starcraft mini's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Mancini
Australia
flag msg tools
Okay, I've finished all of the units, (except for that extra ghost that'll probably arrive next week, now), though I might at some point re-touch the bases, because the overcoat was a little uneven on some of them...

but without further ado -

Actually, I've posted all of the progress shots (and more finished ones) here> http://www.starcraft-source.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1..., and will probably update it soonish on technique and whatnot if you're interested in more of it.

But simply - I used citadel paints on all of them; the Terran were the easiest because of the metallics, since you can get away with drybrushing most of the detail, and then they had only a little team colour each... (So the firebats were the longest to do, since they're fully red...).
It took me pretty precisely a week to paint them, with an extra day or so to do all the finishing up and whatnot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark VanKempen
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow! Those all look incredible! They really capture the look of the computer game units. Details like the stripes on the arbiter make it clear you studied the units in the game pretty well.

I've never painted a mini in my life, but now I have a driving urge to do so, (with all my free time.... yay student teaching!) Do you think I could get the same effect having never painted a mini before? (with a lot more time and effort obviously).

Also, if I have none of the supplies, how much would a project like this cost? Do you have a guide you like to use?

Thanks for your help and thanks for the pictures, they are inspirational!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Mancini
Australia
flag msg tools
Alright!

First of all I have to say sorry to those people who PMed me about the painted miniatures, I don't think I've checked this forum since I posted those images last year, and sorry that the article's down on sc-source...

I don't have the article either at the moment but I'll see if I can dig it up again. I returned here since I've just recently gotten the BW expansion and have been playing a bit more regularly than I was last year (and will hopefully continue to do so).

So I've painted up the new units as well, now.
Hopefully the article'll get posted again and I can link to it but as a runthrough now I painted them pretty much exactly the way I paint warhammer figures—undercoated with black spray (so much easier with the BW models since the air units don't come already attached to their flying stands, so no annoying masking to worry about, then mostly do a drybrushing with the base colour—a dark metal (I'm using citadel paints) so perhaps a mix of boltgun and black for Terran, a dark brown for Zerg and one of the 'foundation' paints, a yellow of some sort, for the Protoss. I worked on each set of units at a time, so after that I'd just go through each other colour on each of the units. The Terran units (aside from the medic) were easiest, I think, since you have a bit better leeway with detail on metallic things and there weren't too many other colours; the dark templar were probably the most complicated of the BW units since they've got so much precise detail (the infested Terrans are awesomely detailed models as well but again since they're supposed to be, well, infested, they can be dirtier-looking and there's slightly more drybrushing than actual fine detailing on them. (I think they're my favourite of the new units, looks-wise). Finally all the units were overcoated with a gloss spray (I used a citadel spray for the original units but apparently they don't make it anymore so I used a Testors spray for the latest ones; it seems slightly less over-the-top glossy but the old ones seem to be very slightly tacky, not sure if that's the heat here or what...
As to references I just took screenshots in-game after cheating and building everything from all three races in one team colour and then printed it out to look at as I went. Some of the units have other art or 3d renders that is available but a lot of the time the original units are closer to what the models look like. (one exception though are the zealots, which are pretty much exactly based on a piece of art for the SC2 zealot (far too many jewely bits for my liking)).

I'll post a link again when I've got the article back in hand.

UPDATE.
Article's back up in the forum

http://gamer-source.com/forum/?cmd=topic&act=view&id=670

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johnathan caaaaaaaaaaarlos
msg tools
So.... StarCraft miniatures.

Are these incredibly rare? I have been trying to find these for a LONG time, but have had absolutely no success. Does anyone have, perhaps, a direction to point me in to find some?

On a very related note, I am absolutely atrocious with painting models. I just don't have very good motor/artistic skills, I guess. I would be extremely interested, therefore, in paying someone to paint my models for me just like the ones posted in this topic have been.

Is there anyone who might be interested in helping either A) me find these models or B) help me find AND paint these models?? Please let me know. Once again, I will be willing to pay!!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way I know of to get the miniatures is to buy the board game - the game is chock full of 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Preferrably the game and the expansion

StarCraft: The Board Game
StarCraft: The Board Game – Brood War Expansion

Keep in mind that the board game covers the first computer game iteration, not the second one, so you won't find Banelings and the likes. The minis are strange when it comes to scale, too, but not stranger than the computer game is. Tiny battlecruisers compared to the marines and whatnot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Cool cool. And $52 isn't too bad... Hm! Interesting.

What kinds of reviews has this game gotten? A couple friends and I have regular game nights where we play really good/complex/obscure board games, but we have definitely noticed that complex does not necessarily equate to good. Some of our favorites are Formula D, Power Grid, Iron Dragon, Settlers of Catan with multiple expansion packs at once, and the like.

How complicated is StarCraft, exactly? and how GOOD is it? What kind of a learning curve is there? How long does the average game take?

.... annnnnnnd, if I were to buy the game, is there anyone who I could ship the miniatures to who would be willing to paint them for me? >_>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Any takers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
captainteft wrote:
What kinds of reviews has this game gotten? A couple friends and I have regular game nights where we play really good/complex/obscure board games, but we have definitely noticed that complex does not necessarily equate to good. Some of our favorites are Formula D, Power Grid, Iron Dragon, Settlers of Catan with multiple expansion packs at once, and the like.

Have a look at the reviews forum, there's plenty of varying opinions on the subject StarCraft seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it kind of game. Personally, I really like it.

captainteft wrote:
How complicated is StarCraft, exactly? and how GOOD is it? What kind of a learning curve is there? How long does the average game take?

There is quite some learning curve for people who don't know the first computer game incarnation, because many units were translated into board gamish rules and thus it makes sense to know their general strengths and weaknesses beforehand. The game rules themselves are somewhat complex as well, but for experienced gamers, it's no problem to pick them up, and they all are pretty coherent and make sense within the game world.

Actually playing the game makes you mess up order tokens even after repeat plays, which is part of the fun

Shameless commercial break: If you want an overview over what's possible within the game, have a look at my strategy blog posts.

captainteft wrote:
.... annnnnnnd, if I were to buy the game, is there anyone who I could ship the miniatures to who would be willing to paint them for me? >_>

Not me If I find the time to paint any minis at all, I have plenty from my own games waiting for some color

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loo Albert
Malaysia
Cyberjaya, Seremban, Kota Kemuning
flag msg tools
omg! mr jack made me wanna paint for my sc miniature too! Where do you learn or how do i practise to paint it?? any basic knowledge requirement ?lolololol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.