Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Hoylman
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
I've found four rule changes between the Ravensburger and Rio Grande editions:

1. Red & yellow action card (a):
Zirkus: If another action card is turned up, it supersedes the red/yellow card.
Circus: If another action card is turned up, it is ignored and discarded.

2. Red & yellow action card (b):
Zirkus: When a card in the same suit as a previous card is turned up, it is discarded; the active player may not take it.
Circus: The active player may take the matching card. Otherwise, it is discarded.

3. Yellow action card
Zirkus: Active player chooses another player. The latter chooses a card from his hand and gives it to the former.
Circus: Active player chooses a color and goes around the table asking for a card of that color.

4. Gala show
Zirkus: 10-point bonus for ending the game by displaying a hand containing all 10 colors.
Circus: This still ends the game, but there is no bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Zirkus to Circus: Rule Changes
Wow, getting rid of the 10-point gala bonus seems like a pretty major change. Any idea why this was removed? Is ending the game really enough of an incentive for anyone to try for all 10 colors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dhoylman (#65802),

Interesting, but I think I prefer the original rules. However, we did modify the points for a gala. When playing with five people or more, it's not easy to get a gala, so we decided it's worth 15 points. Seems to work well for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
The key to the treasure is the treasure.
dhoylman (#65802),

I like rule changes 1 and 3. The former lessens the boon of the "keep turning up cards" card. The latter lessens the "pick on someone" factor and rewards paying attention to what others are doing.

But I really dislike rule changes 2 and 4. The former runs contrary to the whole "push your luck" element of the game. And the latter takes away one of the multiple competing goals that adds decision-making to the game.

Although I'd be curious to hear how these rules work in practice, I'm not eager to try them. At first glance, they would seem to sap the game of much of what makes it fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to write up the differences when I saw this message.

1. It doesn't seem like a big change.

2. When I was taught the game, I thought this would have worked better so I think it is a good change.

3. This makes the action card a lot more powerful, though I don't mid the change.

4. I really don't like this one. The ten-point bonus made it worthwhile to collect the zeroes and ones and not play them out as triplets. Now the zeroes are especially worthless to collect unless you are trying to score the triplets.

Since I have a Rio Grande copy I will be going by the rules printed in them when I teach the game, however I will let people know about the Gala Show rule and will recommend we use it. I'll also make sure that people who have played before are on the same rules page as I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hoylman
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
jm100 (#66061),

I think you're misunderstanding rule change #2. It applies only when the red & yellow action card is in operation, so "pushing your luck" isn't involved. On a normal turn without an action card, a repeated-color card, as always, is discarded and the active player doesn't get a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cantin
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We just got our copy of CF this week. I taught my family by the new, included rules. Something felt wrong. I looked up the old rules on this site and felt a wave of relief. The old rules (by which I was taught) are much cleaner and make for a better ( read: more FUN ) game. I am tosssing out the Rio Grande rules page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhoylman (#65802),

Rules change #3 is perhaps to make the card more different, and not just a (strictly) weaker version of the "draw a card from opponent's hand" action card.

I like change #4. With the original rules, it is too important to make a gala show, and claiming a triplet is often not worth it even with low value cards (such as 1's and 2's), because that may just slow your way to the gala show, allowing your opponents more time to get more points, and also the 10 point gala bonus to doubly offset your triplet bonus. The strategy was simply to get high point cards, and then fill in the few remaining gaps at the end to score the gala bonus and win the game. It was difficult to beat a player who plays such strategy and luckily wins the gala, because he not only scores the gala bonus, but also he scores his cards in all 10 colors. But with the RGG rules, deliberately collecting low value cards to make triplets is a valid strategy, because they score as well as 3's when you make a triplet. The gala player wins less often, and I feel that the game achieves a better balance between "get high point cards towards gala" and "make triplets".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim K.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also interesting that in the Rio Grande version, while the included English and German rules have the changes noted above, the included French rules do not - the French rules include the 10 point gala bonus and the original action card effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more rule change which applies to both the "take an attraction from another player" and "request an attraction from another player" cards.

Zirkus: When the card passed from the old owner to the new owner, it is displayed so that all players see what it is.
Circus: When the card changes hands, it is not displayed.

So the difference is in whether third parties get to know which card has moved. I'm in favor of the old rule, I think, because it retains the full information quality of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet another.

"New attraction" card (the draw-til-you bust action card)

Zirkus: Player must keep turning over cards until a color is duplicated.

Circus: Player may keep turning over cards until a color is duplicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Jackson
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules change #3. I'm not sure why a combination of the two versions of this rule wouldn't be the best. The person who drew the action card declares the color he wants and the player from whom he believes he can get one. The selected player then must give a card of that color to the other person, if he has one, and if not, he can select any other card to give.

With this rule, the card is powerful only if the person who selected the action card has been paying attention. Plus it adds a bit of drama when the selected player reveals the card he is giving up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Neher
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And two more:
1) The original rules permitted you to play trios after you completed your action. Although unclear, the new rules seem not to allow that.
2) Under the original rules, the game ended immediately upon drawing the final card during the r/y action. The player could not complete the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.