Subject: High resolution 15x15 hex terrain map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: map [+] large_printing [+] interesting(Gdes) [+] [View All]
Domjan Svilkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
If anyone is interested, I have built an extremely high resolution (10,000x10,000 pixel!) 15x15 hex map using Google Earth images extracted by a custom written program. It is meant to be printed on 12 A4 sheets of paper for the use in aerial combat games such as Canvas Eagles and Blue Max but maybe you can find some other use for it.
Overview of the whole board can be seen at:
http://student.fizika.org/~dsvilko/board.jpg

You can download the whole set (12MB) at:
http://student.fizika.org/~dsvilko/board15x15.zip

Any feedback is more then welcome!

SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE MAPS!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That positively ROCKS! Nice job, man!

Wonder about adapting this to something like Memoir '44 or Tide of Iron??? Hummm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Modocus
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome.

Have you considered doing one for oceanic aerial combat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"HEX"-cellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very, very nice... Very interesting map, colourful ( you found realy good place ) and it has "in the air" feeling. Perfect for WWI planes.

(edit)
It seams that there is an error with the ZIP file. It' only 4.6MB and it can't be opened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice.

One method of printing would be a poster photo. I know you can upload to Walmart and print a 20" x 30" print for $15, and have it delivered for free to a local Walmart.

How big is this image supposed to be?

(I also am getting an error getting the zip file.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Jirowetz
United States
East Hampton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep... the zip file is corrupted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domjan Svilkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
I am so sorry. The file is really corrupted. I am currently reuploading so it should, hopefully, be ok in a few minutes.

As for the possible other maps... The scripts that make this possible are quite system-specific (Linux, imagemagick, monitor resolution and GE window size) so it would probably be easiest if I made a few more maps.

If you are interested, open your Google Earth and find a nice spot for your map. I will need the geographical coordinates of the map center and the altitude (my map was taken from the 200m altitude). The script works by dumping A4-sized map segments with either a 5x4 (my map) or 10x8 hex grid per A4 segment. You can have any number of A4 map segments (my map has 12 segments). So, you also have to decide from how many A4 sheets do you want to build your map. The segments are landscape oriented (I-W oi the longer sheet dimension and N-S is the shorter). I need the number of A4 rows and columns.

Let me know is anyone needs such a custom map. As it takes maybe an hour for me to build the map I would rather get just a few requests that would be most useful to a lot of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Granvold
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great map your making available.

Would it be possible to make the same map without
the hexes. I'd like to use it with Wings of War
which does not use hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domjan Svilkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
Hm... I don't have the raw images but I'll try to recreate the map, tomorrow, without the hexes. The same dimensions? 4 rows of 3 sheets each?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
[..]I know you can upload to Walmart and print a 20" x 30" print for $15, and have it delivered for free to a local Walmart.[..]
Neat.
I'll now go on my quest and see if/which shop has this service available over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
One method of printing would be a poster photo. I know you can upload to Walmart and print a 20" x 30" print for $15, and have it delivered for free to a local Walmart.

Walgreens appears to have this as well. Now I just need to figure out which map(s) I want printed and off I go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domjan Svilkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I have made 4(!) new maps. All four are now closer to a 'poster aspect ratio' and consist of 4x4 A4 sheets of paper. If you would like a single image you will have to merge the images yourself as my poor computer just can't handle 100 megapixel image. Such a merge is trivial to do in Linux but I have got no idea how to o it in Windows.

I haven't yet actually uploaded the maps as they are large and my monthly bandwidth is rather limited. I have put the overview merged images so you can decide which ones you actually want. Three maps are without any grid (I could possibly add either a 20x15 or 40x30 hex grid) and one is with a 20x15 grid. The locations of the separate A4 sheets are marked on each overview (there are no lines on the original maps!).

Central England fields:
http://student.fizika.org/~dsvilko/England4x4-nogrid.jpg

Adriatic (Italy) - land/sea 20x15 hex map
http://student.fizika.org/~dsvilko/Italy4x4-20x15hex.jpg

Adriatic (Croatia) - mostly sea
http://student.fizika.org/~dsvilko/Croatia4x4-nogrid.jpg
My country

Adriatic (Croatia) - land/sea
http://student.fizika.org/~dsvilko/Istra4x4-nogrid.jpg
Premantura peninsula, Istra, Croatia. I have a house here This whole peninsula was actually a military training ground during the Yugoslavia. Now, it's a protected natural reserve with beautiful 'wild' beaches so go easy with the bombing

Which maps are you interested in?

For those curious, the only way to extract images from Google Eath is through a screenshot. I have automated the whole process (there are a lot of calculations involved) and for every map, 256 actual screenshots ware taken and merged together!
It takes my computer about 2 hours to build a map.
I hope you like the result
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hanickel
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! Your maps do really look fantastic. The first one (Central England fields) without a grid would be great for the Wings of War series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsvilko wrote:
As for the possible other maps... The scripts that make this possible are quite system-specific (Linux, imagemagick, monitor resolution and GE window size) so it would probably be easiest if I made a few more maps.

Some of us do have Linux and imagemagick, though, so your scripts could make for a handy starting point to play around with similar ideas...

Very nice work, BTW. That definitely made a cool map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Pettersson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
dsvilko wrote:

Some of us do have Linux and imagemagick, though, so your scripts could make for a handy starting point to play around with similar ideas...

Seconded!

Sweet maps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Excellent! I like the English farmland the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Granvold
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The results are great!!!

The central England map without the grid
is the one I can use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Nobles
United States
Hackett
Arkansas
flag msg tools
how big are the hexes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Abramowitz
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love too see a couple with hex maps...this would be perfect for Canvas Eagles and Check Your 6. Aside from the wonderful maps you've already done, a Pacific Island map would be great for WWII...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Knight
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
Need help. I have never printed anything like this. How do I print this out page by page so I can spray with adhesive and stick to foamboard. I want to print out the no-hex English farm map. It will not let me print one tile at a time, and when I go to print the map it only shows it on one page, like the size of a 4x6 picture. So please, someone school me on the procedure.

Regards,

Komi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domjan Svilkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
komichido wrote:
Need help. I have never printed anything like this. How do I print this out page by page so I can spray with adhesive and stick to foamboard. I want to print out the no-hex English farm map. It will not let me print one tile at a time, and when I go to print the map it only shows it on one page, like the size of a 4x6 picture. So please, someone school me on the procedure.

I really do not understand what exactly is the problem. What do you mean that it won't let you print one tile at the time? Each tile is a plain jpeg image. Are you saying that you can't print an image on one normal sheet of paper?
'Go to print the map' puzzles me even more. There is no merged (full) map other then the extremely low resolution 'overview' map that is certainly not meant to be printed.
It is best to open a software you got with your printer for printing of photographs, open each tile and print it. Avoid borderless printing unless you really know what you are doing (it will probably crop a part of the image). After printing, cut the white borders with a scalpel and glue the tiles together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domjan Svilkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
tomg wrote:
The results are great!!!

The central England map without the grid
is the one I can use.

Ok, two votes... uploading now.
http://student.fizika.org/~dsvilko/England4x4-nogrid.zip [19MB]
(should be on server in a few minutes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domjan Svilkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
ssgnobles wrote:
how big are the hexes

How big are you going to print it?
If you are printing on a separate A4 sheets then 20x15hex map has about 5.5cm hexes and 30x20hex map has 2.75 cm hexes. The whole map would be A0 size or 1.19x0.84 meters. If you want larger hexes, you can cut each tile in half and print it on two sheets of paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domjan Svilkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
Lawn Dart wrote:
I would love too see a couple with hex maps...this would be perfect for Canvas Eagles and Check Your 6. Aside from the wonderful maps you've already done, a Pacific Island map would be great for WWII...

1. make the Google Earth window (with the map) approximately square
2. find a nice spot and mark the center coordinates
3. mark the altitude (in SI units, please!) from which you can see the whole map
5. decide which grid you want (20x15 -> 5.5cm hexes)
4. send me the said info

I'll try to build the map but I can't guarantee that it will be the _exact_ area you specified (allow +- 15% slide in any direction)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.