Subject: High resolution 15x15 hex terrain map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: map [+] large_printing [+] interesting(Gdes) [+] [View All]
Geir Aalberg
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extremely beautiful maps indeed. I should like to know the ground scale though. Looks to me like the first map is about 100m per hex. If so, an airplane doing 150 km/h would use about 2.5 seconds from one hex to another. As I'm not familiar with Blue Max I don't know the time scale, but it seems to me that for most aerial games a somewhat larger scale (ie from a higher viewpoint) would be more appropriate. Obviously it's only estetics, but it might give a slightly more realistic "feel" to the game.

On the other hand they should be perfect for playing Panzer Leader or MBT with miniatures though. For ASL the hexes should be about half the current size. Maybe it would be better to distribute the map and hex patterns in separate files? It should be easy enough to combine them in the better image editors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domjan Svilkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
geira wrote:
Extremely beautifil maps indeed. I should like to know the ground scale though. Looks to me like the first map is about 100m per hex. If so, an airplane doing 150 km/h would use about 2.5 seconds from one hex to another. As I'm not familiar with Blue Max I don't know the time scale, but it seems to me that for most aerial games a somewhat larger scale (ie from a higher viewpoint) would be more appropriate. Obviously it's only estetics, but it might give a slightly more realistic "feel" to the game.

On the other hand they should be perfect for playing Panzer Leader or MBT with miniatures though. For ASL the hexes should be about half the current size. Maybe it would be better to distribute the map and hex patterns in separate files? It should be easy enough to combine them in the better image editors.

Sorry, don't know the exact scale but I think your estimate is more or less correct. I think Canvas Eagle and Blue Max have a 4s/turn timescale with a 3hex/turn maximal speed. Fokker Dr1, doing 185km/h will travel 200m in one turn with each hex about 70 meters (if I am not mistaken). So, I was not that far off. The problem is that most of the really attractive Google Earth territory is not available in such a fine scale .
Central England is more or less realistic but the other maps are better suited for the faster WWII planes or naval battles.

I don't know it there already are such an alternative rules but I think it would be cool if the in-game terrain was not flat but if each hex had it's own altitude (thinking of Canvas Eagle/Blue Max). If your plane is not above that altitude, it crashed. Think extreme terrain like in the Alps The photorealistic map would make navigating such a terrain much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work! Thumbs UP!

(And have some GG, too!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very creative idea! Maybe I'll make a war game based on my home town that way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domjan Svilkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
XanderF wrote:
Amazing work! Thumbs UP!
(And have some GG, too!)

Thanks!
I am still waiting for any custom map requests. Some people are interested in a Pacific map, so go and find a nice spot. It's a start of a new month so I've got some bandwidth to burn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domjan Svilkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
I have make a few more maps.
Take a look at:
http://student.fizika.org/~dsvilko/maps.html
I will upload the actual maps when someone shown an interest in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Aalberg
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like some maps of Normandy in scale 1:20,000 (i.e. 1 cm = 200 m), but I'm not sure how to calculate the required altitude for this. Let me think loudly:

Given the previous images of 1992 pixels width, which printed with a small border could make a 20 cm print. That means each image file would represent 4 x 5.6km using the scale above. Now, I can use the ruler in Google Maps to draw a line 1 km long. That should be roughly 500 pixels on the map. Should I then zoom in so it measures 500 pixels on my screen? If so, an altitude of 2.57 km should be about right.

Btw, here is a map of Normandy, using a map of 1 hex = 1 mile, or 1cm = 800 m. Obviously the area would be impractical to play at once, but in a campaign system where one would play out divisional or corps-level battles it would be perfect. Sure, it has a lot more built-up areas today than in 1945, but I'm sure some creative Photoshopping could fix that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domjan Svilkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
geira wrote:
I would really like some maps of Normandy in scale 1:20,000 (i.e. 1 cm = 200 m), but I'm not sure how to calculate the required altitude for this. Let me think loudly:

Given the previous images of 1992 pixels width, which printed with a small border could make a 20 cm print. That means each image file would represent 4 x 5.6km using the scale above. Now, I can use the ruler in Google Maps to draw a line 1 km long. That should be roughly 500 pixels on the map. Should I then zoom in so it measures 500 pixels on my screen? If so, an altitude of 2.57 km should be about right.

Btw, here is a map of Normandy, using a map of 1 hex = 1 mile, or 1cm = 800 m. Obviously the area would be impractical to play at once, but in a campaign system where one would play out divisional or corps-level battles it would be perfect. Sure, it has a lot more built-up areas today than in 1945, but I'm sure some creative Photoshopping could fix that.

Yes, let's think aloud...
The area on the linked map is 135km high!
So, it would take about 1000 A4 sheets of paper to cover the said area. If you are nuts enough to print that, I am certainly not nuts enough to download it
It would take about 40 hours to build that map!

I have calculated the necessary altitude for that scale (note to self: 1290m) but the area is just too freaking large! Also, you _did_ check it out in the GE? You've got no problem with it not being uniform, image-wise?

If you can reduce it to 64 sheets max(!), or 32x45km then I may be willing to build it but otherwise, no way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T. Edwards
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is excellent -- thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Aalberg
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsvilko wrote:
The area on the linked map is 135km high!
So, it would take about 1000 A4 sheets of paper to cover the said area. If you are nuts enough to print that, I am certainly not nuts enough to download it
It would take about 40 hours to build that map!

No, that's for the whole Normandy campaign of WW2. I'm certainly not planning to game out that on battalion/company level (for one, I don't have that many miniatures). What I meant to say that anywhere in the area would be interesting to use for a map. Exactly which part of the area one needs would depend on the scenario, but if we were to take the British/Canadian invasion sectors (Gold, Juno, Sword) down to beyond Caen that would be an area of 40 x 24 km. That should in my calculation translate to 7 x 6 landscape images in A4. Take a look at my gallery to see what I mean.

Quote:
I have calculated the necessary altitude for that scale (note to self: 1290m) but the area is just too freaking large! Also, you _did_ check it out in the GE? You've got no problem with it not being uniform, image-wise?

Yeah, I notice that there are some coloration differences, but I should think that would be possible to fix in Photoshop. Same goes for the clouds in the western part of the beach.

Btw, here in the student dorm I actually have a 10 MB line and two computers, one running Linux. If you would like to share the details on how to generate the maps, I might just be nuts enough to download the whole of Normandy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hayter

Metuchen
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The maps look great! I wish I had a use for them although I'd like to try wargaming at some point. How do you download the google earth images in the first place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dsvilko wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Amazing work! Thumbs UP!
(And have some GG, too!)

Thanks!
I am still waiting for any custom map requests. Some people are interested in a Pacific map, so go and find a nice spot. It's a start of a new month so I've got some bandwidth to burn.

The Solomon Islands seems a good candidate.

This is a fairly nice section, too

And here is another choice and another
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Schwick
Germany
flag msg tools
I have make a few more maps.
Take a look at:

Both are excellent ore better phantastic. I want them with hexes like the 15 X 15 map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are cool maps. I like the Swiss one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Schwick
Germany
flag msg tools
The English Fields with hexes please please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
The City - Arthur's apartment
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
...wearing nothing but a robe made from a floral printed cotton sheet.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Swiss map but it gives a "Not Found" error when I click on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Merighi
Argentina
Mar del Plata
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent -- thanks for sharing!
England 2 looks nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, these are great. Is it possible to get the Tropical Island one with no lines whatsoever, IE completely seamless?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Merighi
Argentina
Mar del Plata
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

grat job,
I like this one, excellent !!!
http://student.fizika.org/~dsvilko/England4x4-nogrid.zip [19MB]

thanks for sharing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ling

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few shots of the map in action with Wings of War Miniatures

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/376331

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/376332

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/376333
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
How big is the map, printed 'as is'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ling

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that map in it's 16 parts is A4 sized paper. Roughly 35x55 inches. A decent size for skirmishing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
het masteen
France
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great maps ! great job !

about wings of war and WWI wargames, an historical location in France could be great ?
perhaps, someone knows where all famous airplanes combats took place, and then , we could give you all necessary informations to create one without hex.

around Verdun ?
around Amiens ?
around Bertangles ?....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ling

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to the whole map in one piece that you can print at a print shop...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D73ZRRBN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
lingster wrote:
Here's a link to the whole map in one piece that you can print at a print shop...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D73ZRRBN
Warning: this link sent me to a lot of info about how cool megaupload is, not to the pic itself. Probably should first register, yadayada. I didn't. You may.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.