Popular Tags: [View All]
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:
Robert Graves issued a two volume set on the Greek Myths which should still be in print...always handy...you never know when the thorny subject of Greek Mythology might rear it's ugly head..it's suprising how often it happens when watching the Footy, or turning snags on the BBQ.

It surprises me that it's Greek Mythology Steve. When we are watching footy we often devolve from talking ruckmen and forwards into what we think of the issue of resolving the age old divide between classical physics and quantum mechanics.

We Aussies, holding up the intellectual baton in the relay of life.

Seriously though - The Oddyssey is the one you want, if indeed you want to base the game off the 'issues' surrounding the sack of Troy and the subsequent trip home.

Otherwise, I think cosine's suggestion above was a sage one.

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Deligiannidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mb
Steve one piece of advice from a Greek....

DO NOT watch TROY the movie...or to be more precise wait for the sequel. With the historical mistakes that will be included you shall have the perfect match for your game theme....hahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Copple
United States
New Ipswich
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want/need to scrap the Greek theme, you could switch it to say trying to get the spanish armada to England. Or the Mongolian/Russian navies to Japan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Papadopoulos
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
cosine wrote:

I think I too would recommend removing the Iliad connection from your "sail home" game, but that doesn't mean you have to remove the mythological connection. Instead, consider that all Greeks were sailors and traders and, being dependent on the sea, held Poseidon in high esteem. Failure to make proper sacrifice made for an impossible journey... that's the real "mythology" angle for your game. A good title my be something like "Poseidon's Favor" - your sailors must have the good favor of the sea god to make it home. Poseidon granted safe sea journeys... or cursed sailors with unfavorable winds, storms, or monsters. The key mythology link for an ancient Greek sea travel game is definitely Poseidon.

I like this proposed title "Poseidon's Favor". It still gives a flavor of Greek Myth without taking away from the sea concept of the game. This helps in not focusing on any one particular Hero/Captain or which particular Gods or Goddesses were involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, the game has been cancelled by JKLM...

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Make it Hercules trying to get anywhere. The gods were always messing with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.