Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
380 Posts
[1]  Prev «  8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12  Next »  [16] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Inkscape Extensions for Boardgame Development rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Inkscape [+] diy [+] gamedesign [+] graphics_programs [+] [View All]
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The interesting thing is this: When I print as vector, my laser handles it wonderfully. When I print vector graphics to my HP photo printer, it prints large blobs.

It'll work as bielie states (to PDF first) or as pelni does things (to PNG then out).

I print from my color laser anyway. it was just funny that my HP didn't handle the vector graphics at all.

Though, I've had something happen where my laser went through the same issue. And Inkscape is FAR from a stable program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chirgwin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Pelli,
As a super-Inkscape Noob. Could you produce a Step-by-Step For Dummies version of using this script? I can do the "make the graphics part" and I can easily tinker with the "making layers for bits" part... but seriously the rest confuzzles (it's like confusing AND puzzling at the same time) me greatly and Inkscape's error outputs are equally cryptic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nelson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I have a few comments about the "Create Countersheet" module.

My first question is, what do you (Pelle) think about the idea of having a whole forum for your modules, instead of just a forum thread?

The rest of my comments relate to what I'm attempting to do with this. I'm attempting to create a standard deck of playing cards. So I created a template. I put it in a group. All good so far. But some of the cards have to be red. So I tried to set the fill and stroke properties to blank (ie. inherit from parent), and set the fill on the group to #ff0000 (red). Didn't work. So I tried to do the same thing, except putting a group inside a group, with the only children of the outer group being the inner group, and the rectangle that I was using to identify the template. Then I tried to set the fill on the inner group to red. Got this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/wayland/.config/inkscape/extensions/countersheet.py", line 1011, in
effect.affect()
File "/usr/share/inkscape/extensions/inkex.py", line 207, in affect
self.effect()
File "/home/wayland/.config/inkscape/extensions/countersheet.py", line 607, in effect
positions[box]['y']+rowy)
File "/home/wayland/.config/inkscape/extensions/countersheet.py", line 383, in generatecounter
self.replaceattrs(clone.iterdescendants(), c.attrs)
File "/home/wayland/.config/inkscape/extensions/countersheet.py", line 202, in replaceattrs
v = stylereplace(n.get(a), pname, v)
File "/home/wayland/.config/inkscape/extensions/countersheet.py", line 1001, in stylereplace
for part in oldv.split(";"):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'

Having done all this, I have to say that one feature that would be really useful was if there was a way, in the column headings, to list more than one attribute to be set to the same value. Because either way, I'm setting the stroke and fill on four or so objects, which is 8 columns which are identical except the heading.

Having made these complaints and suggestions, let me add that I think this is a really great module that will save me a lot of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reporting that error, and the suggestion.

One thing you can do to set the background on several objects is to rely on the automatic matching of partial ids. If you can name all the objects starting with the same string, like "possiblyred-" and just use "possiblyred" in the column header, that should work. Does that solve this particular problem?

(A few pages back in this thread we discussed doing something about that btw so that you instead have to explicitly use globs, so in some future version you will probably have to change that heading to say "possiblyred-*" instead.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew, did you find the video tutorials Daniel posted? They are in this thread somewhere. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to link to them from the homepage or anywhere else they would be easy to find.

Are there any specific error messages you see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim, I thought of creating a forum, but I'm not sure in what form. One option I think would be to create a generic Inkscape Guild here on the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nelson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your responses Pelle. Partial ID matching doesn't work, because some matching has to be done on a per-suit, and others on a per-number basis. Unless I can do something like "Colourme-Suit-Small", "Colourme-Number-Small", "Colourme-Suit-Large", and sometimes match "Colourme", and other times match "Suit".

As for the guild, it sounds like the right idea. Shall I create one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wayland wrote:
Partial ID matching doesn't work, because some matching has to be done on a per-suit, and others on a per-number basis. Unless I can do something like "Colourme-Suit-Small", "Colourme-Number-Small", "Colourme-Suit-Large", and sometimes match "Colourme", and other times match "Suit".

And that is exactly we we need to change to use the slightly more complex headers, so you can use "Colourme-*" for one column and "*-Suite-*" for another column. Great example!

Maybe need to do some thinking about the exact syntax for select/multiselect though or there will still be room for confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chirgwin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Either I'm terrible with the csv and basically need a CSVs for dummies... Or Excel won't produce CSVs that this extension can read. I tried the examples and got them to work, just not my own. I'm clearly much worse at this than I hoped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extension is rather intolerant of mistakes, if you refer to something it cant find it bombs. My advice is to check the integrity of your data.

Delete the cell content one by one till you find the culprit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nelson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I don't have the 10 GeekGold required to create a Guild.

Also, another traceback. This one was created because I had an image in Inkscape, and tried to have it change the "xlink:href" attribute. No, I don't know where the "u" outside the quotes in the last line of the traceback comes from.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/wayland/.config/inkscape/extensions/countersheet.py", line 1011, in
effect.affect()
File "/usr/share/inkscape/extensions/inkex.py", line 207, in affect
self.effect()
File "/home/wayland/.config/inkscape/extensions/countersheet.py", line 607, in effect
positions[box]['y']+rowy)
File "/home/wayland/.config/inkscape/extensions/countersheet.py", line 383, in generatecounter
self.replaceattrs(clone.iterdescendants(), c.attrs)
File "/home/wayland/.config/inkscape/extensions/countersheet.py", line 203, in replaceattrs
n.set(a, v)
File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 634, in lxml.etree._Element.set (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:31899)
File "apihelpers.pxi", line 483, in lxml.etree._setAttributeValue (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:13858)
File "apihelpers.pxi", line 1470, in lxml.etree._attributeValidOrRaise (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:22024)
ValueError: Invalid attribute name u'xlink:href'

HTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Juggernaut1981 wrote:
Either I'm terrible with the csv and basically need a CSVs for dummies... Or Excel won't produce CSVs that this extension can read. I tried the examples and got them to work, just not my own. I'm clearly much worse at this than I hoped.

What error message(s) do you get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim, if you just use the image id as header (without mentioning an attribute name) it will change the xlink:href attribute (but that stack trace indicates there might be another problem with namespaces not handled properly that ought to be fixed anyway).

The u just means it is a unicode string. Nothing to worry about.

I can set up a guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chirgwin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
It doesn't provide an error message. It loads up, flashes a couple of black command-line-type windows on my Vista screen and then ends up with nothing. I'd suggest you don't assume its an issue with your system and more of my own inept-ness, seriously. I think I'll need to get a real "For Dummies" type tutorial for all of this. And generally I'm best with text instructions rather than those videos, thanks for doing those, but I'm one of those who is best with step-by-step instructions and screenshots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew

I used Excel XP before with no problems. But try OpenOffice. Its free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nelson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Pelle! I gave you all my GeekGold (all 0.25) for writing such a great program, and for being so helpful. Hopefully it will also be useful in creating the guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, we have a guild!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/950

Feel free to join and start guild forum threads on anythint related to these extensions or Inkscape in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Erulisse wrote:

New installation video in 1080p!

Very nice, but this still doesn't help with the problem that Inkscape cannot find "countersheet.cvs".

I've tried giving it the correct absolute path. I've tried editing the .py file as suggested. I tried putting the .cvs files in ~/.config/inkscape/extensions and still get that stupid error message.

Can someone in plain english explain step-by-step how to fix this problem for someone with a Mac?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting the files in the extensions directory is not likely to help as that is not searched for csv files. It will look only in current directory"which is probably somewhere in /Applications/Inkscape, unless you start Inkscape from the Terminal. So giving the full absolute path is most likely the way to go.

By stupid message, do you mean the message about csv file not being found?

I used to do all development in Linux, but I have been using OSX as my main platform for around 10 months now, and have had no big problems, except for some issues getting any Inkscape extensions to run at all (wrong version of lxml or something... don't remember the details).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Putting the files in the extensions directory is not likely to help as that is not searched for csv files. It will look only in current directory"which is probably somewhere in /Applications/Inkscape, unless you start Inkscape from the Terminal. So giving the full absolute path is most likely the way to go.

By stupid message, do you mean the message about csv file not being found?

I used to do all development in Linux, but I have been using OSX as my main platform for around 10 months now, and have had no big problems, except for some issues getting any Inkscape extensions to run at all (wrong version of lxml or something... don't remember the details).

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried moving the csv to a simpler path and that worked! I think I was making a typo in the very long and complicated original path.

I also tried your advance tip, but since I have downloaded Inkscape over my MacPorts version, it didn't work. So I'm selfupdating MacPorts as I type, in prep for reinstalling the ports version.

Now I'll study the cvs's and see about making some spaceship chits. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great!

I just realized that after upgrading Inkscape I can't run extensions at all again, so I have to remember how to copy lxml properly into /Applications/Inkscape again. I really hope they can fix that for the mac version... It still works in the MacPorts version I have though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross-linking a bit: Uploaded the SVG and CSV files I used to create a sheet of dice labels for a little solitaire dice game I made for the recent BGG Solitaire Print and Play Competition:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7471212#7471212

I don't think the game got any votes (or not enough to show up in the top-10 of the competition), but maybe useful as an example. Not sure there were any example on making dice labels. Not that it is different from making a countersheet or sheet of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, going to have to print that out and give it a shot. BTW, the upcoming microgame competition sounds like it may be your cup of tea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I am a bit of a luddite.
Firstly, this looks like a terrific tool. I however, seem to not be getting the format, probably of the csv file. I did read Eric & Pelle's file reference notes. So if someone would look over my csv and svg files an point out mu mistakes, I would appreciate it.

What I want to do is make some counters like this:

My csv file looks like this:

My result is squares of green.

I've tried the eagle and banner separately. Not much luck there either.
Right now there are 4 elements: background, the eagle, banner and the name. The last 3 are grouped in my svg under USldr.

So where did I mess up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can have a look if you send me the files (or some slightly cut down versions if you don't trust me with all your data ). It's difficult to tell just looking at the pictures.

ibe@pelle-n.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.