Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
380 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Inkscape Extensions for Boardgame Development rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Inkscape [+] diy [+] gamedesign [+] graphics_programs [+] [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Inkscape Extensions for Boardgame Developlemt
the webpage works for me, perhaps try again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

Hm, still gives me an error message...

Could you probably sent them to my mail? (or anyone?)

joeyeti (at) gmail (dottie) com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Hm, still gives me an error message...

Could you probably sent them to my mail? (or anyone?)

Sent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Domo arigato!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like some useful extensions! Thanks for posting this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guy

Snohomish
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running Ubuntu and for those that are getting the "inkex module not found error", you can modify the *.py files to include this:

import sys
sys.path.append('/usr/share/inkscape/extensions')

right after the comment section of the files. This should only be needed if you installed the files under ~/.inkscape/extensions (I think).

Edit: Just a quick edit to say I like this extension ^_^... thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's strange Marc. I also run Ubuntu (and Xubuntu) when testing these extensions, and I never had to do that, nor can I see why you would need to. But I'm happy it works for you now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to upload version 1.0 now. Changes since last release are too many for me to remember (most things are just fixing bugs for the countersheet and hexmap generator effects). The biggest change is the ability to specify colors and other SVG attribute values in the spreadsheet file (for advanced users only, and nothing you really ever have to use).

There is a big new countersheet example aiming to be useful as a template to do NATO style wargame countersheets, including status markers. It includes some flag symbols for ww1/ww2 games, most of the commonly used NATO unit symbols,and two small example spreadsheet (CSV) files to show how they can be used.

There is a new effect that can export a point-to-point map to a JSON file. If you have no idea what that means you probably don't have any use for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Peters
Canada
Vanderhoof
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a tutorial for using the countersheet extension? I have spent several hours on it today with no luck. I just can't quite relate everything in the csv to the layout. I can fiddle with the existing samples but can't seem to do anything from scratch. I'm pretty frustrated as I know this will do what I want it to if only I knew how to ask it nicely.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to hear several hours were wasted without any progress. That the examples work is a very good start though. At least you got past the first hurdle of figuring out how to correctly speficy the path to the CSV file.

There are some documentation included in a txt file. It should mention what all the weird symbols and magic words in the CSV example files are for, although it might still be somewhat short and cryptic.

I think the first example (countersheet1.svg or something like that) has the best description so far on how to make templates. But the CSV file used with that file is very old and does not use any of the latest features that makes CSV files much easier to work with, you should look at the latest CSV files to get better examples of that.

Other than that: Start with something really simple, make sure you figure out how to set the id on the rectangle for each template part, and that each part is in a group (ctrl-g). Slowly add more parts, and remember undo (ctrl-z) is very helpful for quickly testing out a new SVG/CSV file and then get back to editing again after looking at the results.

My most common mistake is forgetting to group each part, especially when editing, having to remember to first ungroup (ctrl-shift-g) then edit, then group (ctrl-g) again.

I also use the shortcut in Inkscape to turn a set of objects into a hires bitmap a lot. Having pre-rendered some parts like that makes everything run faster, use less memory, and is much less likely to run into any bugs that may remain (for instance when using some types of gradients or patterns that the effect is not very good at handling, or very complex drawings in templates). Of course the pre-rendered parts still need to be grouped with a rectangle with the proper id or the effect will not have any idea how to lay it out relative other parts it is combined with.

Probably wait with the more advanced stuff like the fill-colors in the CSV file until you have the rest working as you want. It's usually better to do things like that using templates instead, having different colored parts to chose from, unless you need like 25+ different color combinations on something.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here or by mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And, yes, a real tutorial would be nice. I have thought of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Peters
Canada
Vanderhoof
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I did manage to figure out most of it. I'm sure it will do more than I need, but I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing with it now. I didn't see a text file to explain the symbols but after playing around for a while the next day I did figure out what most of them do.

Very nice utility overall.

I'm glad people like you allow everyone to use your hard work and creativity for their own projects.

Rod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rod!

The text file is called countersheet_csv_format_reference.txt. It was written by Eric Hanuise, but then I made various additions and modifications to it (blame me for all bad things in it, and thank Eric for the rest). If it is not in the zip file with the extensions there is something broken in my distribution script.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Peters
Canada
Vanderhoof
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see that file anywhere. Pretty sure it wasn't in the archive.

Rod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Patricolo
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Sorry to bother with a maybe dumb question... but... how do you install the extension on a mac computer? I had no problem in installing inkscape and the required X11, but no way... I can't understand how to let the software "see" the boardgame extension package... sigh...

Can someone help me? :-P

Thanks!

Fabio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope there is some MacOS user around that can answer that. Otherwise you can always ask in the friendly Inkscape forums for help.

You probably only need to figure out were the inkscape extensions directory/folder is located in MacOS, copy the inx and py files there, then (re)start inkscape. Maybe search your computer for the file inkext.py (it should be in the extensions directory)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
spugnoid wrote:
I don't see that file anywhere. Pretty sure it wasn't in the archive.

Rod.

Oops. You're right. I put a copy of it here for now, until some time in the future when I might remember to include it in the release archives:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fabpat wrote:
Sorry to bother with a maybe dumb question... but... how do you install the extension on a mac computer? I had no problem in installing inkscape and the required X11, but no way... I can't understand how to let the software "see" the boardgame extension package... sigh...

Right-click (or control-click... then go buy a three button mouse) on the Inkscape icon and select "Show Package Contents". Drag all of the boardgame extension files to "Contents/Resources/extensions/". I set a colour label on mine first in case I needed to find them easily for removal or upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilcox
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a feature that allows the insert of a carriage return into text fields in version 1.0?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Patricolo
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your help!

I did as you suggested (step by step) but the extension still does not appear on the effects menu in Inkscape. There's any other settings I could need to tweak?

Thanks again! :-)

Bye,
Fabio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
er... only things I can think of checking would be:
- restart Inkscape (you've probably already done that)
- make sure the files are loose in that extensions folder and not in their own directory inside of it
- check you're running the latest version of Inkscape?
...and I've run out of ideas.

Ooh. I've just tried it with v.46 -- it installs in the menu OK, but I think there may be something wrong with my Python (hey! this isn't chit chat!). I tried using the Create Hexmap item. It brings up the effect window, but on the OK just gives a bunch of errors including a lot of "sem_init: Function not implemented" and "sem_wait: Bad file descriptor" ending in "Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)". The method I've listed above might not be the best or most complete way

I'll post back if I have any luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_lunch wrote:
er... only things I can think of checking would be:
- restart Inkscape (you've probably already done that)
- make sure the files are loose in that extensions folder and not in their own directory inside of it
- check you're running the latest version of Inkscape?
...and I've run out of ideas.

Ooh. I've just tried it with v.46 -- it installs in the menu OK, but I think there may be something wrong with my Python (hey! this isn't chit chat!). I tried using the Create Hexmap item. It brings up the effect window, but on the OK just gives a bunch of errors including a lot of "sem_init: Function not implemented" and "sem_wait: Bad file descriptor" ending in "Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)". The method I've listed above might not be the best or most complete way

I'll post back if I have any luck.

The same happened here...

Though I used the Portable Inkscape (italian release...)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Patricolo
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried again donwloading anew the file. It worked.

Maybe some of the files I had were corrupted in someway.
Now I need to learn to use the software :-)

Thanks again to you all!!!

Bye,
Fabio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new at this, so please forgive me if these are stupid comments/questions. I have to use the CSV format file referenced to layout what I want the counters to look like, correct?

As it is, when I attempt to use the Create Counter effect, it doesn't appear to do anything (when I use one of the supplied countersheet#.csv files). Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The SVG file decides how each counter will look. You open that SVG file in Inkscape, then run the effect and select what CSV to use. The CSV decides how many counters to make, what values to put on each one, etc.

You can for instance open countersheet1.svg in Inkscape, then run the effect and tell it to use countersheet1.csv. In the drawing you will also see some text explaining what is going on (more info are in other included svg files, and in txt file I linked to above). If everything works as it should (ie path to the csv file is correct) you will get a new layer containing the countersheet (or two layers, if there is a backside as well; more layers if you generate more counters than there is room for in one sheet).

To experiment, use undo to get rid of the generated countersheet(s), then change some csv values or the template svg drawing and re-run the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.