Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
268 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

Pandemic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Common mistakes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: strategy [+] common_errors [+] Rules [+] ZMan [+] Pandemic [+] [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems many people are saying the game is too difficult with 4 epidemics or too easy with 6. Here's a list of common mistakes players might make so you can check it against your understanding of the rules:

Setup

- There should be 18 cubes on the board: 3 from 3 infection cards each, 2 from 3 infection cards each, 1 from 3 infection cards each.

- All pawns and a research station start in Atlanta (CDC).

- With 2/3/4 players, the starting hands are 4/3/2 cards.

- The epidemic cards (4 to 6) are shuffled into separate piles (4 to 6) of player cards then stacked. This is done after dealing player hands.

General

- It costs 1 action to move your pawn, remove a cube, give/receive a card, or build a research station.

- You may move adjacent to your current location (as an action), or to/from a location for which you have a card (as an action, discarding card), or from research station to research station (as an action).

- You may pass a card to or receive a card from another player who is on the same location as you if the card matches your location.

- When treating a disease, remove only a single cube (per action) at your current location. If the disease is cured, remove all cubes of a single cured color (per action).

- Building a research station costs an action and a card matching your current location.

- Curing a disease costs 5 cards of the matching color, and must be done at a research station (of any color).

- You must immediately discard the excess if your hand exceeds 7 cards. However, the "draw 2 cards" phase happens all at once. You can decide which cards to discard after drawing, and if the first card is an epidemic, you still draw the second card before executing the epidemic.

- Every turn, the current player takes 4 actions, draws 2 cards, executes any epidemics that occur, then draws the 2-4 required infection cards. Don't forget the last step after executing an epidemic.

- Epidemic procedure: Draw bottom infection card, add 3 cubes to that city (handling any outbreaks), discard that card, shuffle only the infection discard pile, put it on top of the infection draw pile, and increase the infection rate. You do not draw new Player cards to replace any drawn epidemic cards. You do continue with the Infection Phase after handling any epidemic(s).

- There can be up to 3 cubes of each color on any city.

Outbreaks

- Any time you need to add a 4th cube of any given color (infection or epidemic), there is an outbreak.

- If an outbreak is caused by an epidemic, discard any extra cubes. In other words, adding 3 cubes to a city that already has 3 cubes does not cause 3 outbreaks in succession.

- To execute an outbreak, add a cube of the same color as the outbreak to each adjacent city. If any of these cubes would be the 4th cube of that color, that city has an outbreak as well. This can cause a chain reation of many outbreaks. Increase the outbreak count for each city this occurs in. A city may only outbreak once in any chain reaction.

- Say you have a triangle of 3 red cities, A/B/C. A and B have 3 red cubes, and C has 2 red cubes. You draw an epidemic card, and the bottom card of the infection deck is for city A (rare but possible). This causes a single outbreak in A. Add a red cube to each city adjacent to A. B gets an outbreak. C gets its 3rd cube. Add a red cube to each city adjacent to B. C gets an outbreak. Add a red cube to each city adjacent to C. A, B, and C only had a single outbreak each. Advance the outbreak count by 3.

Role: Dispatcher

- As an action, may move other players' pawns as if they were his own (with permission), playing cards as necessary. As an action, may also move any pawn to any other pawn without playing a card.

Role: Operations Expert

- Builds a research station without playing a card. This still costs an action.

Role: Scientist

- Cures a disease with only 4 matching cards. This still requires an action and a research station.

Role: Medic

- When treating a disease, removes all cubes of a single color.

- All cubes of cured diseases in the same city as the Medic, including newly placed cubes, are immediately removed. This does not require an action and occurs at all times, not just on the Medic's turn.

Role: Researcher

- May give any cards to other players in the same city on his turn or theirs for 1 action each.

Eradication

- If there are no more cubes of a given cured disease on the board, then it is eradicated.

- All matching cards no longer cause cubes to be added.

- Eradication is not a condition for winning. It simply removes a threat, but usually costs extra actions to bring about.

Game End

- You win immediately if you cure all 4 diseases, even if the board if full of cubes.

- You lose immediately if you cannot add a required cube to the board, if 8 outbreaks occur, or if you cannot draw a player card (the deck is not reshuffled).
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
How do you get 24 cubes on the board?

3x3 + 2*3 + 1*3 = 18

Researcher can *give* any card, but must *receive* only the card of the city they are in.

Right?

Strangely, the illustration in the rules shows the starting board with 19(!) cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Childers
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Setup

- There should be 24 cubes on the board: 3/2/1 of each color.

There should be 18 cubes, but they will not necessarily be evenly distributed by color. The rules clearly state that all the Infection cards are shuffled together (Step 10) and then nine are drawn (Step 11). The colors are not segregated during setup, so there is no way to enforce an even distribution of colors in the initial infection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrections made. Seems I typed it too quickly. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I'd also missed the rule that says a Dispatcher can move a pawn to any other pawn as an action without playing a card. That makes him MUCH more useful now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Role: Researcher

- May give any cards to other players on his turn or theirs for 1 action each.

They must be in the same city, though, but it doesn't need to be the city of the card, which is usually the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Childers
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- All cured diseases are immediately removed if the Medic moves or is moved onto them. This does not require an action.

Please consider this rewording that makes clear that this ability happens all the time and that it also affects sown cubes.

- All cubes of cured diseases in the same city as the Medic, including newly sown infections, are immediately removed. This does not require an action and occurs at all times, not just on the Medic's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great overview.

All new players should be required to take a quiz on these points until they get them down. I know I should have because I missed two or three points that made the game seem easy, but,once corrected, turned the game into the hellish experience it should've been all along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be incredibly dense, but the first time we played, we played that if an outbreak caused a chain reaction we still only moved the Outbreak counter one space.

After we started playing correctly, we lost the next 5 games to outbreaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
If you expand on how to count chain outbreaks, then be clear that a single city cannot outbreak twice during the play of one infection/epidemic card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Spånga
flag msg tools
Quote:
- You must immediately discard the excess if your hand exceeds 7 cards.

Suppose I have completed my 4 actions and I have 7 cards in my hand. Do I draw my 2 cards together and then discard 2, or do I draw them one at a time and discard 1 after each draw?

Incidentally, kudos to Josh Cappel on the excellent graphic design and rule book. He set the standard very high with 1960 and didn't disappoint here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So one thing that wasn't very clear to me is what happens when a city of one color outbreaks into another city of a different color when then outbreaks.

For example say Sydney outbreaks into LA and then it outbreaks. Do I exchange one of the three yellows in LA with a red one from the outbreak or do I just leave it all yellow. This is important because say I later move to LA, and I have a cure for yellow. Now if it was still all three yellows, I could completely clean it off in one action, but if it was one red and two yellows, it would require two turns.

This actually has come up a couple of times, and I usually just switched out one of the blocks so it would have both diseases and required two actions to clean it off if there was a cure for the original color as described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
You can have up to twelve cubes in a city (three of each color).

This is highly theoretical, but the three cube max. is per color, not total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that scenario you leave all the yellows and add the red. A simpler way to put it is that cubes never get taken from the board unless that city is being treated or from the Medic's automatic curing ability.

There is no reason to remove cubes from the board except for those two reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Clemson 40 Oklahoma 6
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
Quote:

Suppose I have completed my 4 actions and I have 7 cards in my hand. Do I draw my 2 cards together and then discard 2, or do I draw them one at a time and discard 1 after each draw?

Incidentally, kudos to Josh Cappel on the excellent graphic design and rule book. He set the standard very high with 1960 and didn't disappoint here.

My understanding is that you draw 1 card, discard, then draw a 2nd card and discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great FAQ.

Larry Welborn wrote:
Jonny5 wrote:
Quote:

My understanding is that you draw 1 card, discard, then draw a 2nd card and discard.

See, I always saw the "drawing" part of the turn as one discrete phase that happens simultaneously. Matt said exactly that in another thread:

Quote:
The rules aren't specific about whether the cards are drawn and resolved one at a time or not. I've observed *a lot* of people play the game and most folks draw both of the cards together (rather than resolving them one-at-a-time) so I'm going to rule that this is the natural (and correct) way to play.

Also, don't forget to add "move the infection counter one" for the Epidemic resolution. I always forget to do that, although I usually remember by the time it's time to play the infecter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Welborn wrote:
Jonny5 wrote:
Quote:

I was under the impression you draw 2 and then discard. The rules say that the player draws 2 cards and then it talks about how the special events can be played immediately and finally mentions hand size limit. So you draw to, play special events if you want and make sure you have no more then 7 cards, if you do, you discard down to 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added outbreaks, and other clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
To execute an outbreak, add a cube to each adjacent city of the same color as the outbreak

this sentence is confusing and misleading... it should read "To execute an outbreak, add a cube of the same color as the outbreak to each adjacent city"

good summary of the issue. my verdict is still out on this game. we've played several times (in easy mode), and still never won. we're playing all the rule correctly apparently. maybe we're just getting bad shuffles, but it's fairly annoying. there's a lot to like about the game, but if you get a bad shuffle, you cannot win, no matter what. reminds me of Lord of the Rings coop game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yegods wrote:
Quote:
To execute an outbreak, add a cube to each adjacent city of the same color as the outbreak

this sentence is confusing and misleading... it should read "To execute an outbreak, add a cube of the same color as the outbreak to each adjacent city"

Wow! Haha! It's amazing how word order completely changes the meaning of that sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
yegods wrote:
my verdict is still out on this game. we've played several times (in easy mode), and still never won. we're playing all the rule correctly apparently. maybe we're just getting bad shuffles, but it's fairly annoying. there's a lot to like about the game, but if you get a bad shuffle, you cannot win, no matter what. reminds me of Lord of the Rings coop game.

Keep at it and don't give up. I'm winning at higher than 50% now on the Normal level, and that is only after going about 0-12 to begin with. I've been learning how to make the best use of some of the particular cards and special abilities. There is sometimes a very particular timing combination that needs to be worked out in order to win (and often that can only happen on the last possible turn). But it definitely can be done. Yes, sometimes the cards will just hose you, but you can't necessarily blame the cards all the time, as victory can sometimes be achieved regardless of the cards if things are done right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yegods wrote:
my verdict is still out on this game. we've played several times (in easy mode), and still never won.

I'm my 2nd game we thought we had lost. We knew we were going to get a specific infection card in the next 2 draws that was going to end the game, and could figure out a way to stop the outbreaks. It wasn't from lack of undertanding, just lack of experience. We didn't realize how many cool combinations you could execute. We finally figured out that the current player could move to a specific location with a card, then the Dispatcher could move the Medic to that player and walk him across the nasty areas cleaning up the already-cured disease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Keep at it and don't give up.

i don't think i have a choice. everyone else in the group seems to love it. or at least they're more stubborn than i am, and need to keep playing until they beat it.

Quote:
- You may pass a card to or receive a card from another player who is on the same location as you if the card matches your location.

because of someone elses post in another thread, i noticed this... we've been playing that only the current player can give cards. i'll bring this up the next time we play, and maybe it'll help us out. i knew there must be SOMETHING we were doing wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading (in this thread and the other similar one that spawned this one) about lots of attempts at 6-epidemic games. However, no one but me has logged any of them in my geek list -- http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/29800 .

So far there's data on 79 games I've pulled from that list and the introductory games are doing well (26 victories against 15 defeats). Normal games have gone 18-18 and my two Heroic games are 1-1. So, if you know the configurations and results of your games, I beg you to post your results there so I can make a whiz bang analysis thread soon. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
If you expand on how to count chain outbreaks, then be clear that a single city cannot outbreak twice during the play of one infection/epidemic card.

Oddly this tends to get misinterpreted that a city can only outbreak once per turn, when in reality it can outbreak once per infection card (or 2-4 times in a turn).

-Munch "especially nasty when two 3 cube cities that are next to each other are both drawn at once" Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.