Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

A plastic figurine of mine (from Midnight Party) has broken of off its footing. I want to glue it back on. I've never had much luck, though, gluing plastic onto plastic in a long-lasting way -- not even with so-called super glue. Does anyone have any advice?

Maybe some kinds of super-glue work better than others? Or maybe there is a special glue for plastic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you want "superglue" specially formulated for plastic. I think it is called PVA glue, as opposed to CA or cyanoacetylate. Superglue pretty much requires a porous surface to work right, which is why it glues fingers together so well. The plastic version heats up, essentially "melting" the plastic together.

cdunc123 wrote:
Hi

A plastic figurine of mine (from Midnight Party) has broken of off its footing. I want to glue it back on. I've never had much luck, though, gluing plastic onto plastic in a long-lasting way -- not even with so-called super glue. Does anyone have any advice?

Maybe some kinds of super-glue work better than others? Or maybe there is a special glue for plastic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the Games Workshop plastic glue works very well on plastic figs (that is what it's made for). I use it now to glue plastic to plastic. If you're having trouble you might also try pinning it with a small piece of metal pin inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres a whole web site dedicated to this...

http://www.thistothat.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ignorant
Norway
flag msg tools
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
you want "superglue" specially formulated for plastic. I think it is called PVA glue, as opposed to CA or cyanoacetylate. Superglue pretty much requires a porous surface to work right, which is why it glues fingers together so well. The plastic version heats up, essentially "melting" the plastic together.

cdunc123 wrote:
Hi

Hi.
PVA (polyvinyl acetate) wont work. PVA is woodworking glue.

Super glue should work well but it's very important not too use to much. A very small amount should be enough. Many modelbuilders and miniature hobbyists use only CA glue to glue their plastics.

I prefer polystyrene cement. You should be able to get it from all hobby stores or on the net. Testors is a well known and recomended brand.

The trick is to hold the parts together and then add a small amount of the cement to the join. The glue will spread itself round the join and begin to melt the plastic allowing it to fuse together. As the solvent in the glue evaporates the strength returns to the plastic. Note that the plastic has to be polysterene (which it probably is.)
This method would require some training as the result can end up quite messy if you get glue other places on the figure or you have to reposition the parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If have some spare plastic -preferably a bit of a leftover spruce of your game/kit you can make your own strong glue.

Soak the plastic with acetone or similar strong solvent. Add more acetone or plastic to make the mix creamy. Use a small brush to add your glue to the figurine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ignorant
Norway
flag msg tools
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
If have some spare plastic -preferably a bit of a leftover spruce of your game/kit you can make your own strong glue.

Soak the plastic with acetone or similar strong solvent. Add more acetone or plastic to make the mix creamy. Use a small brush to add your glue to the figurine.

Great tip! Can't wait to try this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Baton Rouge
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingFury wrote:
Bagherra wrote:

cdunc123 wrote:
Hi

Hi.
PVA (polyvinyl acetate) wont work. PVA is woodworking glue.

Super glue should work well but it's very important not too use to much. A very small amount should be enough. Many modelbuilders and miniature hobbyists use only CA glue to glue their plastics.

I prefer polystyrene cement. You should be able to get it from all hobby stores or on the net. Testors is a well known and recomended brand.

What he said. PVA (wood or white glue) won't work, but plastic cement will give you an almost unbreakable bond. When properly used, the plastic is often more likely to break elsewhere than along the glue seam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JB Weld works well as long as you don't use too much (it's black in color). I've used it on several pieces successfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polystyrene cement (a.k.a. plastic cement) is the best thing I've ever used to glue plastic to plastic. It melts the plastic and then fuses the two pieces together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
Insert witty meta-joke here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two different glues I keep around for plastics. For polystyrene & ABS plastics, I have Testor's plastic cement. For other plastics, I use Loctite's Super Glue for Plastics (it comes with an activator chemical that prepares the plastic surface before gluing).

So if your game pieces are made of a stiff plastic, try the plastic cement. If they're made of softer, flexible plastic or the plastic cement doesn't work, try the Loctite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
Theres a whole web site dedicated to this...

http://www.thistothat.com/

Nice. Thanks for the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.