Subject: Strange scoring example in the manual... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've received this game last Friday and I am seriously puzzled about the scoring : here it goes :

The rules state that any scientist (even when covered) will count towards defining the majority. The highest number will receive the highest points and the 2nd highest, the lower amount of points. If present with an equal number of scientists, the points will be split...

Having a look at the example included :
- red and green are both present with 2 (green includes 1 covered scientist) : 6+3 divided by 2 is 4.5 > makes 4 each (as per the rules?)
- red receiving 4 for the grave : ok
- blue receiving 2 for the stone road : also ok but why the mentioning of the green player? That he doesn't count as he's covered??? What about the points for the yellow player on the stone road?
- wooden road : yellow and green will be sharing 2 points? So that's one for each???

And what's the point of scoring those elements in a specific order (cities / graves / etc...) > as far as I can see it, it doesn't really matter I think?

thanks!!!
/dimi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Dietrich
Germany
Troisdorf
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
echdareez wrote:
I've received this game last Friday and I am seriously puzzled about the scoring : here it goes :

The rules state that any scientist (even when covered) will count towards defining the majority. The highest number will receive the highest points and the 2nd highest, the lower amount of points. If present with an equal number of scientists, the points will be split...

Having a look at the example included :
- red and green are both present with 2 (green includes 1 covered scientist) : 6+3 divided by 2 is 4.5 > makes 4 each (as per the rules?)

Yes, fractions rounded down as per the rules.

echdareez wrote:
- red receiving 4 for the grave : ok
- blue receiving 2 for the stone road : also ok but why the mentioning of the green player? That he doesn't count as he's covered???

(By the way, the example shows the blue and the yellow player not on stone roads but on two seperate city walls)
The green player is mentioned just to clearify the fact, that covered figures do not count on city walls.(… and other places. Covered figures only count on cities.).

echdareez wrote:
What about the points for the yellow player on the stone road?

The yellow playing figure is placed on another (again city wall and will be awarded seperately.

echdareez wrote:
- wooden road : yellow and green will be sharing 2 points? So that's one for each???

That's a total of 2 points for the wooden road. Split in this example into 2 (2 players with the same number of scientists on the road).

echdareez wrote:
And what's the point of scoring those elements in a specific order (cities / graves / etc...) > as far as I can see it, it doesn't really matter I think?

That's only for better overview.

Hope that helps and all the best from germany.
Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there Bernd,

Superb! I didn't notice that the scoring for the cities was different > it's only now that I noticed it's marked in a different coloured box ;-)
So to resume : covered pieces don't count towards the total, only if they are within cities (I suppose for the higher total of points available?)

There's one thing still not clear : the 2 points for the wooden road > one point for yellow and one point for green?

I did indeed help Greetings from Belgium with a firm thumb up + some Geekgold
cheers and thanks again,
/dimi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Dietrich
Germany
Troisdorf
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi echdareez,
thanks a lot for thumb and gold.

echdareez wrote:
Hi there Bernd,

Superb! I didn't notice that the scoring for the cities was different > it's only now that I noticed it's marked in a different coloured box ;-)
So to resume : covered pieces don't count towards the total, only if they are within cities (I suppose for the higher total of points available?)

Yes. And it is one more variant for awarding points.

echdareez wrote:
There's one thing still not clear : the 2 points for the wooden road > one point for yellow and one point for green?

In this case, yes. To explain this example: The wooden road awards 2 points. These points were given to the player with a majority of scientists on said road. If there are more than 1 player with the most scientists, the points have to be splitted. In this case we have two players. So, 1 point for each. But if the situation occurs, that a third player have a scientist on the road, points have to be splitted among three players, which gives a result of .66 points per player. Because fractions were rounded down, none of the three player will get any point for the wooden road.

echdareez wrote:
I did indeed help Greetings from Belgium with a firm thumb up + some Geekgold
cheers and thanks again,
/dimi

Have fun with the game.
Hope that helps and all the best from germany.
Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there Bernd,

It did indeed help
thanks a lot for your kind reply!
/dimi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.