$10.00
Tom Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to hear answers to the two existing rules questions for VOC at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/141627 and http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/306974, and figured I might as well add a third rules question to the mix. Maybe someone will come along and give their thoughts on all three.

Page 3 of the corrected advanced rules from the Splotter website say:

"To prevent others from taking over your contracts, it is allowed to put an earlier year-marker on a contract you have claimed yourself."

Does this take a turn or not? That is to say, let's say Player A previously claimed a contract earlier in the game with an end year of 1592. Then let's say Player B spends an action on his turn to take over that contract by proposing an end year of 1590. Can Player A right then and there block Player B by putting 1589 on the contract? Alternatively, does this rule simply mean that Player A can spend an action on his own turn to change the year that he previously proposed on a contract when he claimed it? I think I'll play by the latter interpretation unless someone suggests otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mathews
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
Page 3 of the corrected advanced rules from the Splotter website say:

"To prevent others from taking over your contracts, it is allowed to put an earlier year-marker on a contract you have claimed yourself."

Does this take a turn or not? That is to say, let's say Player A previously claimed a contract earlier in the game with an end year of 1592. Then let's say Player B spends an action on his turn to take over that contract by proposing an end year of 1590. Can Player A right then and there block Player B by putting 1589 on the contract? Alternatively, does this rule simply mean that Player A can spend an action on his own turn to change the year that he previously proposed on a contract when he claimed it? I think I'll play by the latter interpretation unless someone suggests otherwise.

I am sure that your latter interpretation is correct, i.e., a player must spend an action on his own turn to change the year that he previously proposed on a contract when he originally claimed it. There is no specific sentence in this rules section saying that the original claimer gets to do this via a "free action", either during his own turn or another player's turn during Phase 3. Essentially, the player is "taking out a new contract" by altering the terms of the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.