$10.00
Matthew McCloud
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
“Then like a sinner before the gates of Heaven I'll come crawling on back to you.”

Welcome to a Grubsnatcher review. Each of my reviews will be named after a song, or after lyrics within a song. I will not use numerical ratings with my reviews but instead show elements that personify the game. I feel that numerical ratings will change between play groups as bad rules will be house ruled.

---

Warhammer Quest is one of the greatest games of all time. It is a cooperative dungeon crawl that does not require anyone to run the game, ala the Dungeon Master or the Overlord.

When Warhammer Quest was released I was in my youthful years of nothingness. At the time, I was more interested in video games than board games. I was enthralled by the concept of creativity, and I have an insatiable desire to create. That means at the time I did create my own video games on sheets of paper. They were more like rough lines for stage designs, but it did start me down the road to dungeon crawls.

A local chain of gaming stores called “Something to Do” was my first experience with the game. On the shelf, high above the Warhammer 40,000 dolls rested the grand box of coffin-sized goodness. I asked the clerk what it entailed. He told me that Games Workshop has recently been a roll with making good board games. The most recent was Warhammer Quest, a game that is nearly nine pounds of cardboard, polymer and paper. The next week I bought the game.

Strangely enough, I wouldn’t know this would be the last of the best Games Workshop board games.

Components

The box was the expression of pure molten plastic models. At the time, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. At the time, the only real board game that I even played that resembled this type game was HeroQuest. Considering, that HeroQuest and Warhammer Quest come from the same universe, one inspired and borrowed from the Warhammer universe.

The box was heavy and about the same size of the old Gamemaster sized boxes.

The Dolls

The game was the first game that I’ve got my hands on that reached epic proportions with goober. This game didn’t came with a wide variety of different models.

The models did come on sprues. Like many Games Workshop games, you have to careful to pierce the models from their molded security. A pair of special trimmers or a pair of clippers will work wonders. Do not attempt to simply pull the models from the base sprues. The game requires you to also place the models on special square bases with a slot. It’s very easy to break this little piece if you attempt to the twist-and-pull method of separation.

The models themselves are of highest quality, even to this day. The gray plastic used can be little on the flimsy side, but if a piece breaks off model plastic glue makes a permanent bond. The detail on plastic reaches a level that can only be further improved by using a different type of material that is more rigid, such a pewter or lead.

The Tiles

The game comes with a variety of tiles that come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Each of these spaces represents one space.

Each shape has its own purpose. The long straights take longer to go across, encounter rooms always have an event and the t-sections split up the dungeon.

The most important of these tiles is the Objective Room: the entire reason for entering the dungeon. This is where the big baddie at the end of the dungeon rests. If you do not enter the Objective Room and complete the quest within, the dungeon delve is consider a failure.

The Dungeon Deck

The deck is set at the beginning of the game. The deck comes in two sections and the Objective Room card will be placed in the last set of cards. This prevents players from completing the rest in the first or second room.

This is the key to the game, and what makes it enjoyable. Each dungeon is different, you never know what you going up against in the next room. The deck can be divided with t-section tiles, making the game a piece of guess work. You can finish the game quickly or you may have to backtrack fighting you way through monsters.

The Plastic Doors

The game also comes with a set of plastic doors. The doors come with clips under the base which allows two tiles to be connected easily. While totally pointless mechanically, it gives the game a nice feeling of actually crawling around in a dungeon.

Magic

The wizard receives a number of random spell each on hard cardboard. Each spell has a category, offensive, defensive or support. The wizard receives a spell of each type. Spells have an effect and a power cost. They are fueled by rolls at the beginning of the turn or by stored power points.

The Dice

Every die roll used in the game is based on a six-sided cube. The game also came with tiny red dice used to keep track of the enemy’s life.

Character Equipment
Each character also receives an item that is used just by that character. The dwarf receives a rope, which allows them to escape pit traps, the elf receives a cure-all potion, the wizard receives a scroll which deals massive damage and the barbarian, being the leader he is, carries a lantern. Information on the lantern will be discussed later, as it is a vital piece of equipment.

Event Deck

If an event is needed, the top of the event deck is drawn. These are a mix of traps and monsters. The mix is roughly 2 parts monster and 1 part traps. Some cards in the deck require a second event card to be pulled if it is on the weaker side. Many cards require you to roll the number of monsters in the encounter, so each one does vary.

Eventually, the Event Decks in the Advanced Games is replaced with tables.

Treasure Deck

The Treasure Deck is full of swords, scrolls and firebombs. The card tells you the effect of the card, a nice piece of artwork and sell price. Only one treasure is received per encounter, but every player must receive at least one before a character can receive a second piece of equipment.

Tokens

The game comes with a variety of tokens. The two most commonly used tokens are the power tokens and the web tokens. Power tokens are used by the wizard to empower his spells. The web token is used by certain actions, such as the Giant Spider’s bite, to restrain certain actions.

Portcullis

Certain events prevent the characters from leaving the dungeon, if the need arises. A Portcullis is placed on the closest door. The Portcullis is the most frustrating element of Warhammer Quest. In theory, the Portcullis is supposed to fit in the door tightly. This is not the case and often doesn’t stay in place. It’s a worthless piece of cardboard and best used for a coaster.

Terrain Counters

The game also comes with a variety of thick cardboard tiles that fit nearly over the board. Only three of these are used in the basic and advanced game; the pit trap, the falling rocks and the pit of despair. A majority of these are triggered by trap events, but one, the pit of despair, is triggered by a wizard’s spell.

The rest of the tiles are used in the Roleplaying version of the game, which is discussed in some detail later.

Rulebooks and Player Aids

Warhammer Quest is a complex game. The core concepts are easy, but there is enough going on during the game it is often easy to get overwhelmed. The game comes with three types of play, the Basic Game, the Advanced Game and the Roleplaying Game.

The Rulebook

The Rulebook teaches the basic rules of the game. It is designed to be played with a total of four players. The game does not

The Adventure Book

This book contains six adventures for all five Objective Rooms. Each adventure comes with a back story and an objective. The Objectives does change from room to room. For example, there is an Objective room where there is a large chasm full of lava. The party is hired to discard a piece of warpstone, a vile piece of chaos incarnate, into the lakes of lava. Another one might be to slay the monsters within the chasm.

The Campaign Book

This perfect-bound book is the meat of the game. The book is divided into three distinct chapters: Linking Games, Advancement and Role-playing. Even though divided, the Campaign Book can be hard at times to navigate, but after a few uses you will be able to easily find the charts needed.

If you do plan to use the charts from the book, I suggest photocopying or printing a copy. It will save your book the stress of forced to remain open and much easier to reference when you need to book to check elsewhere.

Character Cards

Each character has it’s own card with equipment, statistics and background listed. The character cards serve their purposes. Each character also comes with armor and a special equipment card. Armor, coupled with Toughness, removed damage absorbs damage. Weapons on the other hand are usually a universal affair, the only real differences being ranged weapons and the Dwarf’s rune axe. The cards are colorful, thematic and sturdy.

The game has a variety of statistics displayed on the card. Movement is the ability that a character can move in spaces. All characters, even the dwarf, move at the same rate. Weapon Skill is the ability to hit in hand-to-hand combat. It comes within the ranges of 1 to 10. A character that is against an enemy with a lower weapon skill has a better chance to hit. As well, character that is against an enemy with a higher weapon has a harder chance to hit. At the bottom of the card is a chart is small chart to help calculate the number needed to hit the target. Ballistic Skill is a static number that allows a character to shoot at range. Strength is how hard a character hits. Toughnessis how well a character can take damage. Initiative is the turn order of character. The player with the highest initiative goes first in a turn. This usually is not important, but is also used for some traps. Initiative is a non-necessary statistic and the weakest of the set. Attacks are the number of attacks the character receives. This is usually one, but in the Advanced Game it can reach higher numbers.

Pinning represents the melee and zones of control that monsters and players have. If a player or monster wishes to disengage from combat, they must roll higher than the Pinning number. If this pinning check is failed, the player loses his turn. Wounds are the number of hits a character can take before he meets the big orc in the sky. This is simulated by rolling a d6 at the beginning of each dungeon, but a re-roll is allowed if any dice come up 1. Every character also a static number that is added to the roll. Characters that are tougher, like the Dwarf or the Barbarian receive a greater number of wounds.

Advanced Character Profile

This is used if playing in the Advanced Campaign. There are ten different levels each character can reach and this is used to remind the players of his new statistics and abilities.

Character Tokens

The game comes with a cardboard disc. When a random event occurs, one of the tokens is pulled to see which event hits the players. It’s a novel mechanic, but makes the run smoother without bogging it down with rolling to see which player becomes a target.

Adventure Record Sheet

Warhammer Quest uses a pad of paper to keep track of wounds, current equipment and gold. Think of it as a printed scratched pad.

Objective

To reach an objective room set by randomly contained within the adventure booklet without having the party killed in many ways.

The Flow

The Basic Game

At the beginning of the game, the group as a whole picks a random Objective Room. Inside the Adventure Book contains six adventures for each Objective Room. Rolling one dice determines the objectives required.

The Wizard Player’s power does not come from nothingness. He must channel his power from the Winds of Magic, which is represented by a roll of a die at the beginning of the turn. This number represent two events: the number of Power Tokens the wizard receives as well as determining if the player is presented with a random encounter.

If a roll of a 1 is rolled, there are two consequences: the top of the event deck is flipped and the wizard only receives one power that turn.

Events are resolved immediately. If it is a monster, they are placed on the board. Monsters are laid determined by initiative. Quicker monsters will hit the table quickly. Ranged monsters are laid first as far away as possible, while still being in line of sight. Melee monsters are laid next to as many players as possible. Every player will receive an equal number of monsters per turn, if applicable. If the players can be divided evenly, the character tokens are used to see who receives the remaining hits.

Movement is a simple affair. You are allowed to move one space. New dungeon tiles are not explored when you come to them. You must reach the door at the end of the turn without any monsters on the board. You may move around the board freely, but if you attempt to move away from a monster you must take a pinning check. This is resolved by a roll of a six-sided die, if you succeed, you can move.

The Lantern is an important tool in movement. The player with the lantern is always considered the leader. The current tile occupied by the leader, as well as any adjacent tiles, is considered lit by the lantern. If any character goes out of this range is considered lost in the dark and is removed from the game. Stay with the leader, even if he is making dumb decisions. Deal with it, it’s part of the game.

When a character kills a monster, you get the gold value. These values are only accumulated by the player who received the kill, so this should be taken in consideration. Also, when a group of monsters is successful defeated, a treasure card is drawn.

Killing a single monster doesn’t stop there. If a player kills a monster, he can make an attack against an adjacent enemy. If that enemy dies, he may continue in a clockwise or counter clockwise fashion until he cannot strike because he would strike a friendly figure or the monsters are defeated. A player may not change directions once the Deathblow has been initiated.

Deathblows add a variety to the game. Every character can Deathblow, down to the lowly wizard. This adds diversity to the game that no other Dungeon Crawl can fill. It allows all players to kill hordes upon hordes of enemies. This is not to say that monsters are pushovers.

Ranged Combat does not have a maximum range, but is usually hampered by the fact the dungeons are usually so cramped and small. Line of sight is required to hit an enemy. Ranged Combat is usually on the weak side unless you can continue to hit and run against a group of enemies. Melee attacks are usually better because of Deathblows.

With all this massive carnage of death and bloody gore, one would think the game is a push over. Monsters in response to players can destroy a party that is not prepared to deal with monsters. If the players do not kill the monsters quickly they will be overwhelmed with wound points.

The Advanced Game

The game kicks up a notch when playing the advanced game. In the normal basic game, the characters are discarded. This allows you to connect dungeons in interesting ways.

When an adventure is completed in the Advanced Game, all the players must decide on the size of the town they wish to travel. The length of the travel is linked to the size of the town. A chart is referenced for every weeks travel time. These events never entail combat, but does abstract down to a simple level. For example, if you find a group of beastmen, you roll dice and reference a table that goes along with the travel. A character can die in these encounters, so he must be careful. There are some encounters that completely stop the party’s progress.

The travel chart is interesting for Warhammer Quest, but needs to be refined. You start to find you have to encounter every roll in the game very quickly.

Larger towns take longer but provide better services. The players can buy items at various shops around town, like the Armorer, Fletcher, Weaponsmith, Animal Trader, The General Store and the Gunsmith. There are prices for more expensive goods that do not provide the game with any mechanics, like a boat or a keep. If you wanted to house rule some rules in, you easily could. Each item has an availability, and items are easier to find in bigger settlements.

Staying in town does have its costs. Each character must spend upkeep while in town. Otherwise, he must wait outside of town doing nothing but living off the land. The players must also roll town encounters each day they stay within the town. Staying in town too long can be even more dangerous. If a player stays in a town longer than two weeks, he must roll on Catastrophic Event chart. These events are usually terrible, like your hero retiring, so attempt to plan your trip around these events.

Special shops also exist, but are require time and a roll to find.

• Alchemist. You can turn treasures in gold.
• Alehouse. This allows you to roll on the alehouse event card. Certain powers are gained by rolling on this chart that is not obtained elsewhere.
• Dwarf Guildmaster. Only the Dwarf or the Trollslayer may enter this establishment. You can enchant your axe with further ruins allowing your special rune axe to scale with your party.
• Gambling House. Take a chance to win more money.
• Temple. Pray at the temple and hope to win the favor of the gods.

The biggest change in the game is the ability to increase your character’s statistics ands power, henceforth in this article called Leveling. Statistics will reach a certain level. The training does require a weeks training time and cold hard cash. Gold is used to determine the level in which level.

A new statistic is added to the game: luck. Luck determines the number of re-rolls the character receives to use in a dungeon. Sadly, this does not work in practice. Luck is used mostly for encounters that directly kills the character, which I’m sure was not the intent.

All characters except the wizard gain skills. These are randomly generated on a roll of two dice. If two players attempted to play the same character, this is when the true divide starts.

Leveling is not a complete no-brainer. Monsters do get slightly tougher as you level. When you draw a card from the Event deck, you do not resolve the card on the deck. Instead, you roll on the chart that is appropriate for the level. Monsters are dependent on the level, but traps are not. One of the greatest weaknesses of game is the number of monsters the game supports. While it has a wide variety of monsters with a vast number of powers, the game only supports a fraction of the models. If you are a dungeon crawl fan, you wouldn’t have any trouble finding suitable replacements especially in this day and age of plastic.

When you receive a treasure, you also do not always receive what is on the card. You might instead receive a treasure Charts from the treasure chart. Objective Room treasure also becomes much better with the Advanced Rules. The best treasures in game are received in these rooms. Unlike normal treasure, even character receives an Objective Room treasure once the dungeon is complete.

This brings me to one of my complaints about the scaling system: it doesn’t work with the Adventure Booklet. Every dungeon has the same rewards not dependant on what level of the party. This makes the game feel less epic as the game progresses, but can a few simple house rules can fix it.

The Roleplaying Game

The Roleplaying Game is probably the weakest element of game. It allows the players to actually get into character but falls flat when compared to recent Dungeon Crawls.

An extra player is added to the game, the Gamemaster who controls the monsters and event. Unlike Descent, the Gamemaster isn’t attempting to totally destroy the players. Instead he is attempting to challenge them. This is more of an art than a science.

This game allows the players to do certain actions while instead the dungeon. These actions range from moving boulders, to climbing up cliffs, to helping others complete tasks. The task resolution feels tacked on and without much merit. The chart that is required to complete these tasks is in the book and not referenced any where else. The game also comes with three pre-generated dungeons. These dungeons are designed to be played one after another similar to the dungeon crawls of yore ala Dungeons and Dragons.

What does make the Roleplaying Game version of Warhammer Quest shine is the custom traps. The game does have visual appeal with enough spatial qualities to give the players reference. Attempting to figure out Gamemaster’s devious traps in real time, while fighting off monsters, is just too good to pass up. At one point in time, Warhammer Quest was the best simple Dungeon Crawl on the market. With the emergence of Descent: Road to Legends, this type of game play has turned obsolete. If you want to play with Gamemaster, I suggest Descent or even Dungeons & Dragons.

Specifics

Considering I will be doing reviews on the rest of the Character Packs for Warhammer Quest, it doesn’t feel right without going to depth about each character from the basic set.

Barbarian

The Barbarian is the simplest of the characters to play with very few options in dungeons and out. Strangely enough, he is often times the leader of the group even though most likely to harm the party.

The Barbarian is a hand-to-hand expert. His Weapon Skill is lower than normal, but he can enter a berserk range gaining two attacks per round. He must be careful when entering this rage, he can accidentally hurt his own allies in a blinding fury. His strength is also the highest allowing him to rip monsters apart Deathblow after Deathblow. The Barbarian can use just about any melee weapon in the game, making him one of the best melee characters. His armor is often times lacking, bested by the dwarf.

The Barbarian also likes to drink, gaining a bonus while in the Alehouse. This is because he doesn’t have a special location, like the rest of the party members. Instead, he is usually wasting his time in the alehouse learning new skills or going for broke in the Gambling House.

Dwarf

The Dwarf is my personal favorite hero. He uses an axe that allows him to roll one extra damage die with each hit. He may pick the higher of the two. If he rolls doubles, he may add them both. If he ever rolls double 1s, he falls on his beard and loses a turn.

The Dwarf allows people to escape pit traps with the rope. Otherwise the characters will never be able to escape.

The Dwarf has very high armor, the highest weapon skill but very low initiative. His movement score on the other hand is not so bad, considering his tiny little legs..

Dwarf only equipment: Lock Tolls, Firebombs, Bags of Flash Powder, and Loaves of Stonebread.

The Lock Pick allows the players to escape from the Portcullis, if you need to return. It is useful for some quests, but a majority of quests have a second exit. Firebombs are an area of effect ranged weapon used by the dwarf to kill enemies from a distance. It’s great for eliminating wizards who are casing your trouble. Bags of Flash Powder force opponents to take penalities when they attack that trun. Loaves of Stonebread is a healing

The Runesmith can magic, ignore armor, regeneration, re-roll low damage dice, double number of attacks and deal more damage.

Elf

The elf is a survivor. The elf does receive a potion, which completely heals one character. In the early stages of game, before

What makes the elf great is that he is immune to pinning. He cannot be stopped by monsters while he attempts to either find a more advantageous position or making a get-away while the rest of his party is dying to three Minotaurs. He also receives a healing potion that be used to heal any one character to full wounds.

The Elf Quarter, the elf exclusive shop, allows many great items. The Sure Flight Arrows allows bonuses to ranged combat. Elf Boots gives the elf extra movment. The Elf Bow is essential for an elf, it allows him to make as many attacks with ranged as he has attacks. Elf Helm gives the elf extra armor as well as full protection in some cases. The Elf Rope is a better version of the dwarven rope. Healing Herbs acts smaller healing potions. Elf Waybread is a provision, but does not spoil easily. Elven Armor allows even greater protection tossing aside weaker blows. Elven Cloak allows an elf to ignore the first wound from each hit but has a chance to rip. The Elf Shield allows the elf to ignore the first roll against him in the first turn. Some equipment can break in the Dungeon, so an Elf can hire an elven Craftsman to fix his equipment..

As you may have noticed, the elf is a machine in combat. His greatest weakness is his damage output. At times, his armor breaks the dwarf’s high values. The elf is also the only character to receive movement bonuses for leveling.

Wizard

The Wizard is the most versatile warrior, but is also the most prone to death because of lack of armor. His strength is about average, but he has a problem in hitting enemies at times.

The Wizard comes with a one-use scroll that deals a bucker of dice of damage to a single monster. The scroll is not replaced through out the game, so proper management is required.

The Wizard does not receive skills instead he receives extra spells each time he levels. Unlike the rest of the warriors, the Wizard does have some power over his selection. This makes him one of the most useful because of his reliability. He also receives a number of permanent power points to use for each dungeon. These spells range in power and versatility, from a spell that deals 1 damage to a spell that opens a vortex that consumes all monsters in a 2 x 2 area. The spells are too numerous to mention here.

The Wizard may also visit the Wizard’s Guild. When entering, the wizard must roll a special event chart that will only affect him. Often times, these are beneficial while others cost him time and/or money. Once the events are resolved he may buy potions, buy a wizard staff, or charge a staff he already owns. When the wizard buy potions he, sadly, will never know what you are going to get. The Wizard can also receive a staff from the Wizard’s guild. While weaker than a normal sword, it does provide you extra power to use every game. It also provides extra armor. The staff can be recharged at the Wizard’s guild between adventures. The Wizard can change his spells at the wizards guild if he does not like his currently selection.

Monsters Supplied

Orcs

Orcs are provided with either a sword or a bow. Orcs are second toughest monsters in Warhammer Quest, only being out outscored by the Minotaurs. They have high Toughness, high wounds, armor and deal a fair deal of damage.

Giant Rats

You can’t have a recent Dungeon Crawl without killing rats. The kamikaze rats of Warhammer Quest can be easily dealt with but are a prime importance to kill. A Giant Rat have a special ability called Deathleap which allows them deal more damage in a blow, but in doing so they have a chance to die instantly from a player’s blade. Otherwise, most rats are killed in a single blow.

Giant Spiders

Giant Spiders are the strongest of the vermin swarming creatures. They don’t do much damage but ignore armor. They can also web the player which restrains the target from making certain actions.

Giant Bats

Giants Bats get an immediate attack when they hit the board representing them swooping down from the above. The can also fly, realigning themselves in the back rows allowing them to attack the wizard.

Snotlings

The best name to come out of Warhammer! Snotlings gang up on a single character and strike against them in one single attack. Snotlings can be dangerous if you let them gang upon you, but wise and liberal use of Deathblows, they should go down without much trouble.

Goblins

Goblins come in two flavors: with spears and with bows. Those with spears can attack enemies further away. Those with bows rarely hit and deal very little damage. They are only a threat in masses.

Skaven

The Skaven is an all around warrior which excels in no area but does not falter. They can bring down a running elf because of their rather high speeds. Skaven warriors do not have any special rules.

Minotaur

The Minotaur is the king of the (low ranking) monsters. He has many wounds, hits two times in a round, rolls more damage and has a higher strength. A single Minotaur can cause problems in an ill-equipped party and three can turn any party into mush.

Advanced Game Monster Factions

I am not going to delve into each monster, or even each monster type, but instead what to expect at higher levels.
Later in the game, many monsters have a randomly generated magic item that gives them a special ability with a roll of a single die.

Chaos

The faction Chaos is the worshippers of the four Chaos gods. Some of the strongest monsters are representing in the Chaos faction. The powers that come from Chaos are nearly as diverse as the entirety of the other factions. The most basic of troop in the Chaos force is the Beastmen, which are pretty standard middle weight goons. Chaos Warriors on the other hand are the elite warriors of Chaos, with higher armor and statistics. The powerhouses of the Chaos legion is the demons, each representing each of the Chaos god. Every deity has their own foot soldiers from the lowly lesser demons to the power Greater Demons.

Chaos Dwarves

Chaos Dwarves are dwarves that use magic. The heresy! The have high armor values, and some even have. The most common is the aptly titled Chaos Dwarf, with high armor and sometimes even magic. Chaos Dwarves are have a special blunderbuss which can wreck havoc on an unprepared party because of it’s area of effect attacks. This faction is no longer supported by Games Workshop so finding models may prove to be difficult.

Dark Elves

Dark Elves are quick and evasive. They are frail but can deal massive quanities of damage in a single round. Interestingly enough, Dark Elf makes has a tendency to transform the elf, sometimes in a weaker form. Witch Elves at lower levels can be devastating to a group of warriors who are not prepared to deal with a whirlwind of powerful attacks.

Giants

Technically, there is only one Giant monster entry. They are slow put powerful with random set of attacks. Be wary of the stomping, chewing, spitting, bag-stuffing Giant.

Monsters

The monsters are a varied lot and one that is hard to consider. They range from Dragons, to Hydras, to quite the possibly the best monsters ever conceived: the trolls.

Orcs and Goblins

Orcs are tough and hard to kill. Goblins are weak and come in spawns. Orc and Goblin magic can be very deadly, be warned, an Orc Shaman can instantly kill a player with a single spell.

Skaven

Skaven are rat people who live in the sewers and caverns underneath the world. They worship a vile god of pestilence, the Great Horned One. Skaven are self destructive, quick but frail and flighty. The Skaven wizards can be nasty.

Undead

Undead are tough enemies with many wounds and a smorgasbord of special abilities. Some of their attacks do pierce armor, so high armored characters must be wary.

Ponderings

Welcome to Warhammer Quest. Have you meet my friends?

The Fifth Warrior: The Troll Slayer

A fifth hero is as added to game if you wish. The game does not provide a model, but you can easily use a spare you have laying around. The Troll Slayer, a dwarf who has disgraced his family. In his mind the only way to wipe the stain from his family is to die the most glorious death possible.

A troll slayer may only carry a fixed amount of cash on him during the game. This is determined at the beginning of the game when the Troll Slayer is rolled. He can has two gold totals: one to pay development costs and one to determine his wealth. To make matters worse, the Troll Slayer may never leave combat, otherwise he would be denied his glorious death. Sounds wonderful? It gets better, they cannot wear armor.

Trollslayers do have numerous benefits. First off they have a Rune Axe, which allows him to hit very hard in combat. If he very rolls a natural six to hit, his strength sky rockets allowing him to deal much more damage. This bonus reaches very high numbers at higher levels. A Trollslayer also has the highest wounds of any warrior. Trollslayers also start out with a single point in Luck.

Trollslayer may visit the Dwarf Guildmasters, but is much harder to find than a normal dwarf suffering tremendous penalties. Instead, they have their own little nook to display their winnings and trophy heads: the Trollslayer Shrine. While in the shrine, the Trollslayer may give donations to the Slayer cause. Troll Slayers are notorious drinkers and must visit the ale house once per game.

Trollslayers are challenging yet fun to play and excellent replacement for the Dwarf or Barbarian. If you find that you enjoy the Trollslayer, an expansion pack has been released that deals with expanded with Troll Slayer rules.

The Spiel

Warhammer Quest is one of my favorite games. The game has simple mechanics that build upon itself. The game is not without its flaw. A majority of these flaws are not inherent with the game mechanics, but instead with the chrome that goes along with it. And thankfully, Chrome is easily fixed.

The game does scale down to lesser warriors, if you wish. You simply divide the number of monsters in the encounter by the number of missing players. If you are have two warriors instead of four, and you are up against twelve Snotlings, the number is reduced down to six Snotlings.

Pros
• Simple Rules.
• A random generated Dungeon Crawl
• Doesn’t require an Overlord/Dungeon Master.
• A game that can be played from session to session.
• A wide variety of monsters.
• Each warrior plays differently.

Cons
• There are balance issues once you reach higher levels.
• The wizard is better at higher levels to the point of the game not becoming a challenge.
• Very little player aids for the Advanced Rules
• The doors and the portcullis are wastes of plastic and cardboard.
• The game doesn’t provide the models for a majority of the monsters.
• Instant death can kill a warrior in a blink of an eye.
• A long game.

The game is worth hunting down cheaply, but it isn’t worth the current prices on the game.

Sometimes I get bored with placing cubes in towers, laying meeples on tiles or trying to accumulate the best victory point and economy of actions. And like a sinner at the gates of Heaven, I always come crawling back to this game. It has near endless potential that is hampered by rules that need to be better thought out. House ruled this becomes one of the best, if not the best, game in my library.

“Oh baby you’re the only thing in this whole world; that’s pure and good and right.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bat out of hell rocks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
Grubsnatcher wrote:

Cons
• A long game.

How long?

P.S. Thanks for putting all that time and effort into creating such a comprehensive review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domien De Groot
Belgium
flag msg tools
Very nice review! I've played Warhammer Quest on and off with my friends for about 15 years, it's brilliant! But this is where I disagree with your review: it's the roleplaying variant of the game that we've been playing and loving so much. It adds sooo much more to it that we're simply not interested in just playing it the "normal" way anymore!
For one, the heroes can do a lot more, like using furniture as cover, swinging from ropes, climbing obstacles etc. The Gamemaster can introduce riddles and puzzles that offer variety, making the game different from your standard run-fight-explore, run-fight-explore routine. It's a more creative, more open-ended and in my opinion more fun version of Warhammer Quest. I have the impression I'm in the minority, though Just my two cents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.