Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Griffiths
Wales
Llandudno
Conwy
flag msg tools
Have seen a copy for sale in good condition
Anyone know of a rules scan download that I may check out if I would like the game. Its rather an old design and I a know nothing of the mechanics.
regards
griff55
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, don't think the rules for this game are available anywhere, at least I haven't seen them. In fact I just stopped by here as I'm in search of some rules that were published later in The General. I'm sure you've read the review David Cox put up here a few months back which gives a good overview of the game. I can try and give you a run down of the mechanics of this game however.

The game is a standard IGOUGO affair, with a Roman Movement and Combat Phase, followed by a German Movement and Combat Phase for each turn. Stacking is from 4 to 9 units per hex depending on side and terrain. There are no zones of control in the game, and combat occurs by entering an enemy hex. Combat resolution is done in combat rounds and first involves each player choosing a battle tactic from a set of identical cards; each card representing a type of battlefield maneuver such as Frontal Assault, Enfilade Left, or Withdraw. After each player plays their tactic card, the two cards are compared on a chart to find a final modifier for the combat. It is possible that no combat will occur at all depending on the matchup. Assuming that combat does happen, then odds are comapared and a die is rolled, modified by any modifier from the tactics table as well as leaders and terrain. It is possible, and in fact quite normal for combat to last for more than one round of battle, and it is also possible for the defender to switch over to the attack and back again.

The units in the game are represented by larger formations such as Legions and Barbarian Mobs, and each of these can be broken down into smaller units for losses or for other strategic considerations. Most units break down into two smaller units, with Legions breaking down into half-Legions and cohorts; anywhere from 8 to 10 cohorts total depending on scenario. Finally, provisions are made for conducting overrun attacks during the movement phase. So much for the basic rules.

As you play through the 5 included scenarios however, more rules are added to the system, with the majority of the new rules being included in scenarios 3 - 5. The intent is for the players to work their way through the scenarios in order, learning the new rules as they go. The first two scenarios add a very minimal amount of new rules. The third scenario however adds alot of rules for naval units and forts, as well as hidden movement and ambushes using some off-board charts for the German player, plus a nicely variable order of battle for the Germans. This scenario, which was btw THE scenario from when the game was originally published by GDW...the other scenarios were added when it was published by Avalon Hill, is amazingly good and a real guessing game for the Roman player. Every time I've played it as either player it was a great deal of fun. However it naturally is not suited for solitaire play.

The last 2 scenarios are also interesting, and add the rest of the rules set to cover tribal mobilizations, naval combat, and sieges. I've had fun with both, and the fifth scenario is quite playable solitaire along with the first two scenarios should that be your playing preference. To me, the rules could be rated from easy to medium complexity, but that sort of rating is usually rather subjective. Maybe a better way to put it would be to say that the basic rules run about 4 pages, with another 8 pages devoted to the scenarios and the additional rules, although the bulk of the additonal rules occur from scenario 3 on.

I hope that helps you a bit with your decision to pick up this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Griffiths
Wales
Llandudno
Conwy
flag msg tools
Thank you Chris
I am convinced!
Sorry cant help with scenarios, I have Gens 10 thru 13 doh!
Regards
Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hallo,
Caesar's Legions was one of my forst AH Wargames and at that time (that is: the 80ies!) it was one of my favourites. The (pseudo-)taxctical card play gave additional tension.
I also owned a copy of the additional scenarios, printed in hte General (sholud have them still).
They cover the "Initial Invasions" by Druses and Tiberius and are worthwhile. I addition there is a little "Frisian Revolt" scenario.

Greetings from Germany - not the Map, the Country (:o> - Reinhard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.