mbmbmbmbmb
Web Site: http://onboardgames.net/
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com

Chit Chat
Erik http://www.balanceinallthings.org/
Scott's blatant plug - Tulipmania 1637.
http://www.gamesinlibraries.org/
Contest announcement - the Music for the show.

Round Table
Train games Scott, Erik, & Donald discuss the wide variety of train games

Correspondent Segments
Games in Education - Giles interviews Tom Vasel about games in schools.
A Guide to the Geek - Ben covers the GEEKLIST feature on Board Game Geek.

Reviews

* Stone Age reviewed by Scott
* Covert Action reviewed by Erik
* Pandemic reviewed by Ben
* Trans Europa reviewed by Donald, Connie, Danny, & Joey

Notes

* Send questions, comments, or snide remarks, to onboardgames.net@gmail.com in the form of emails or mp3 files
* On Board Games is covered under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's that link again to the geeklist I referred to in the episode: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31198 (Soon to be updated.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Tonkin
United States
Smyrna
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great show. Giles' portion of the podcast was much easier to listen to with another voice. However, the content isn't very interesting to me. I guess because I'm neither a teacher nor a student, board games in the classroom doesn't really interest me. It seems like such a niche topic that it doesn't need to be addressed every single week. Maybe if the whole show revolved around that subject it would be different. Just my 1db1db.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the show, I was hoping to hear something about Wabash Cannonball, a train game wich seems to be a sleeper hit.

I am interested on the Covert Action game, but I dont get it, if its up to 18 players, up to 3 teams, must be 6 cards for each team, Agent, Mole, Cleaner, Sniper and Bodyguard ar just five.. and if always there is a spare card for each team, so you can't know if there is a sniper on your team, which are the rest of the roles, are the rest all agents?

Im asking because I suppose that agent is a bit pasive role, so the one that gets it, its going to be a lit bored I think..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Acctualy who could you miss Wabash Cannonball?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
Acctualy who could you miss Wabash Cannonball?
That was one of the games that came up after we stopped recording. We would have liked to talk about it, but there wasn't time to record another bit at that point and Scott brought up the excellent point that someone on our forums would probably come up with all the games we missed.

So ....

What other games did we miss, and what is cool or unique about them that warrants mentioning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
What other games did we miss, and what is cool or unique about them that warrants mentioning?

I think you missed coverage of the Winsome line in general. For the die-hard train gamer, there is a lot of stuff there. I am curious to here what other people think about Winsome's stand toward lean components and art. I personally am waiting for Wabash to get picked up by someone who will turn it into a beautiful game. I think it is telling that there are a number of people who have gone to great lengths to produce their own components for the game, for when the publisher won't make the effort.

Also, Silverton is a great train game that is one of the best at giving you the feel of actually running a railroard and it has a great supply/demand mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
I liked the show, I was hoping to hear something about Wabash Cannonball, a train game wich seems to be a sleeper hit.

The problem with Wabash is that you can't get it. While it's a good game, and it was on my list, I decided to not bring it up. I would be happy if it got a wider distribution, but with such a limited print run, I was afraid of upsetting people with a "oh, look, here's this great game that you can't get" presentation.

There are lots and lots and lots of games we could have mentioned, but time is a consideration when you are doing these, so we focused on the major games in the lineage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard von Gunten
Switzerland
Täuffelen
Bern
flag msg tools
3B RULEZ
badge
3B RULEZ
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Donnald, Erik and Scott

- I wrote you guys an email that I would love a "Train-Games" episode!
- I even wrote into the guild forum that I would really love a "Train-Games" episode!

And now, when my wish came true, I had to wait 14 days until I was able to listen to this episode on my brand new IPod, because from my point of view, the only way to listen to podcasts is while traveling by train on my way to work ;-)

Anyways, thanks a lot for this one and all the other episodes of OBG!

I send you greetings from the lovely small sized country in the heart of europe where you (or at least I) can live & work without even owning a driving license because we run the world's most densely concentrated rail system ;-)

Bernhard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Here's that link again to the geeklist I referred to in the episode: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31198 (Soon to be updated.)
Hey, could you post in each episode's list when it is updated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.