Popular Tags: [View All]
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This game seems to be a great game. I don't own any of the previous chapters of this game but the instructions for this game are not complete. I hope that someone out there can clarify some things for me.

Army movement. The directions only tell you about initial army movement. But, do all army pieces added on a turn move as a group? Do the enemy pieces continue to move after their initial placement? There is a card that prevents army movement past a particular space on the board. If the army pieces only move once, it's impossible for them to move anywhere near that space to begin with.

What's with the Sauron card? I didn't even know the card was supposed to be in game play until another card said to remove that card from the game. The instructions never mention the card. How is that card played? When is it played?

The website of the company that makes the game trilogy doesn't even mention the games.

I wish that the game rules were more complete. Otherwise, it is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Robert
United States
na
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Re:What's with the rules?
Jighm (#71476),
Same as above!! AND, what's with the battlefields? How are you supposed to move about in them....there are no arrows for you or the evil army...HELP...not understanding this part at all.
Anybody want to buy a barely used GAME!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Barr
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
Jighm (#71476),
yeah, no kidding. but since you obviously got further than i did, maybe you can answer this question... how do you get gollum/smeagol past ring spot 151. since the red cards have to stay in play till all characters get past and gollum/smeagol must move back two spaces everytime he lands on it...how do you get him past?

Dustin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blickley
United States
Brockton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Word up people. Played this game for the first time last night and we were confused as hell. The first time through the Eye got stuck in one direction and we couldn't move anyone except frodo, sam and gollum. The enemy armies we didn't know what the hell to do with. Theoden only can move about 4 squares until he gets killed. Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Robert
United States
na
Minnesota
flag msg tools
blicko (#74613), Honestly we never moved Gollum..couldn't figure that out either...Guess this is another "bad" game...perhaps in 20 years, some moron on Ebay will want to buy it for the 'collection'...*sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironhorn the great
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
What a fricken bad way to end a lineup of great games. I have found many mistakes.

For example: The red and green arrows (which show you which way to move the evil army tolkens) are mixed up (should be the other way around), Faramir is a POINTLESS character, Pippin dosen't go to the black gate, the compass puts Minis Tirith to the East of Baradur (should be west), and you cannot use the Egals card because when the ring is destroyed you move ALL characters to ring space 197, yet you cannot use the Egals card until the ring is destroyed. Oh yea, and if you are combining all three games, you can just walk Gandalf and Aragon around and kill everyone without needing to roll.

Roseart, I have 5 words for you. WTF WERE YOU PEOPLE ON!?!?!

P.S. It seems that Roseart has, on it's website, deleted all evidence that they have ever had anything to do with this or any LotR game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blickley
United States
Brockton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one with troubles. If anyone comes up with some alternate rules or something that might make this game actually playable, please share. I'm actually going to try and tackle it too, if I ever get time. Maybe I'll just buy War of the Ring instead and play the hell out of that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gando Greyscar
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I can answer some questions.... some I can only echo heh.

The Sauron card is just for looks kinda. It just explains what happens when your ring reaches an 'S' on the gauge, nothing more.

As for the gollum thing the rules state have the card remain until all characters who CAN get past do so. So you remove that card once sam and frodo pass it. It just keeps gollum from gettting ahead.

As for the evil army... people say the arrows are backwards I haven't tried it with them reverse. I think the stack moves as one, the rules seem to imply that much. As for how/if they move again I am stumped. The only thing I can think of is maybe stacks can jump over other stacks so they can fill up the battlefields... I dunno. And characters can maybe move in any direction they want on a battlefield, but not back over a green arrow, and maybe not on the same square twice in one turn.

I'm sure if we all try we can figure something out, then send Roseart a giant bill for our time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter crook
Australia
flag msg tools
The very first time we played this game, Faramir reached ring space 183 (which directs the evil army) before any of the other characters had reached ring space 152 (which first brings the evil army into play). Thereafter problems with the rules continued to arise at almost every stage of play. The game's creators should never have released the game for sale without resolving the numerous problems now identified and they should now give us all our money back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Witucki
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
When I played this game, my sisters and I ended up moving in such a way that the main battlefields of the game were totally devoid of enemies.This game did need some work, not to mention a challenge factor.Reiner Knizia did this a lot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, my game seems to have a discrepancy about the number of creatures in the evil army. The rules mentioned two different numbers, and neither of them matched the amount I actually had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is bad and really only worth going through all three one time then never play again. The bonus game on the back of Return of the King does work and is fairly decent. I could see people giving the bonus game a 4 or 6 as it is a good time waster if you have an hour to kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.