Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fraser Anderson
Germany
Ammerbuch-Entringen
Baden-Wurttemburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son just had his 3rd birthday and one of his gifts introduced him to the glorious world of Reiner Knizia. I am only ashamed that this gift came not from me, the gamer of the house, but from my wife.

What is in the box

The game contains components for up to four players. A plastic bag containing 28 plastic monkeys (7 of each colour) and four player boards, with some themed art on each one:

Blue = Tropical Island with a treasure chest
Red = Circus with a ring master
Yellow = Desert with some turtles
Green = Jungle with a snake

The art on the boards are cartoony and appealing to the little folks, my son wanted the green board right away since it had a snake on it.

The monkeys also look great, compact with no jutting pieces to be snapped off or bent. They are a bit on the small side, so very much swallow-able, but sticking to the age guideline of 3+ should be quite OK as far as that goes.

The plastic bag is a little disappointing, a cloth one would have certainly been nicer.

Gameplay:

This is a game aimed at the smaller set.

1) Each Player is assigned a board
2) Each player blindly pulls a monkey from the bag, and if the colour matches their board, they place it on an empty spot, otherwise they give it to the player owning that colour.
**Variant** rather than giving the monkey to the player of that colour, we return the not-needed monkey to the bag, making the game last a tiny bit longer.
3) The first player to fill their board is the winner.

Thought on the game?

This game is super simple, and is a clear winner in my books. My son who just turned three understood how to play immediately and really enjoyed himself. He has insisted on lots of replays in the first few days, but I imagine this will wear out over time.

Helping little folks learn names of colours and on some fine motor skills is always a plus by me. The art on the cards is also something that you can use as a little quiz for some teaching (Show me the snake!) Living in a bilingual household, this also serves to help with learning coulours, numbers, and some vocabulary in both languages.

My conclusion is that this game is a fine one for the intended audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
desmodus
France
Bantzenheim
flag msg tools
Die Ärzte, Bad Religioon, Bauhaus, Dom Perignon, In Extremo, Joy Division, Lacrimosa, New Model Army, Nirvana, Officine Panerai, Placebo, Rammstein, The Sisters of Mercy, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure, The Mission, Die Toten Hosen, Umbra et Imago
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice.
It was also the first gift I made to my son.
He played it very often. Now his brother also starts playing with it.
As an Knizia addict I couldn't made a better choice.
And I recommend it to everyone with small children.

desmo (who's first Knizia was Lost Cities)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edin Cahtarevic
Croatia
Zagreb
HR
flag msg tools
"Solaris" - Stanislav Lem 1961, Andrei Tarkovsky 1972, Steven Soderbergh 2002
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this great game with my three-year-old son. We have this game for 6 months and still playing it 2-3 times per week. I let him play it only once per day, so that is why (I think) he wants to play it again and again. The game is good for learning numbers and counting. My son (3) counts how many empty spaces he have to fill to finish game.
Your variant is very good, he like to play it. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.