$10.00
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My son recently joined BGG and asked me:

Lord and master of all you survey, what are some ways I can earn GeekGold so that I can buy stuff like an avatar and geekbadges?

I replied:

Tek-ma-tay my first-born. It is my duty to impart my wisdom. Harken.

I looked at what you entered for Interests. Great. Now that gives you colour. It makes you an interesting person; a real person. Also, other users might connect up with you when they have similar interests.

1. You can buy GeekGold (GG). For every dollar you contribute to BGG you get a courtesy GG. Also, contributing once per year ($15 or more) gets you the Patron badge for that year. This is the most respected badge of honour at BGG.

Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

2. You can auction off real cash at the BGG auctions. In BGG auctions you can only buy stuff with GG. For example, people will auction off $10 or $20 dollars (via PayPal, for example) and get GG for it. This is a fast way of getting a good chunk of GG. Expect about 50-75 GG for $10.

3. Anytime you post any kind of content (thread, post, geeklist, geeklist comment, etc.) really interesting or funny, people will tip you GG. Some people tip 0.01 GG, 0.25 GG, or 1-5 GG. GG tips is a way the community uses to reward someone for really good content. Also, people use GG tips as a sort of super thumbs-up. There might be, for example, a post that you really agree with. You thumb it and also give it a 0.25 GG tip, for example. It shows others that you are willing to part with "cash" because you agree with the poster's comments so much. I often get tips like that and I also give out a lot of tips. Laz (the lad's name is Laszlo, alias Laz, alias LazMan, alias get out of my room!), Nota bene although not absolutely mandatory, it is courteous to send a quick thank you geekmail when you receive a GG tip.

Take a look at any kind of content (geeklist, review, a post, etc.) with a lot of thumbs. You will usually see some GG tips that were given. For my article How to make a tuckbox I got a whole bunch of thumbs and I also got a total of 5.03 GG from people made up of tips of all amounts. Look at my profile, GeekStuff, and click on GG collected to get an idea of the different ways one can earn GG.

Here are some GG earning tips:

4. Images. You get 1 GG for every image you upload and that is accepted. Some people, nimble with a digital camera, make a lot of GG this way. But, be sure to follow the image uploading guidelines so that you don't waste your time with rejected images.

5. Upload reviews and session reports. You can get 0-5 GG for each one. A nugget of elder wisdom, my son, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Well written reviews and session reports with useful illustrative images tend to do very well both in the thumbs and GG departments.

6. BGG connects game pages with eBay auctions for that game. I think you get 0.10 GG for each eBay auction you hook up to a game. This is a somewhat laborious way to earn GG but a way nonetheless.

7. Geekmodding. BGG is based on user content. That content is judged by users. Go to GeekMod to judge images, reviews, articles, etc. For example, if you accept an image you get 0.01 GG if the image is finally accepted. If you reject an image and the image is finally rejected you get 0.10 GG. This system ensures honest judgements. This is a long and tedious way to get GG but again a way nonetheless. You have to mod about 100 images to get 1 GG.

8. Another form of user content related to games wherein you can earn GG are file submissions. Go to any game's page. There you will find the Files section. Uploading a new file earns you 1 GG. What is a file? It is any kind of user-made content that is not an image. Very often these are game aids such as tuckbox templates, rules summaries, custom characters, rules translations, etc. Be very sure to follow the file submission guidelines, especially with respect to the format of the file. This is enforced so as to make your submission accessible by all BGG users all over the world.

9. When you start a new forum thread, look at the bottom. There is a checkbox for saying that you think your post is pretty good. If you use that, your new thread becomes an article and goes to geekmod instead of being immediately posted. Other people, geekmodding, will judge the value of your post. It can be entirely refused and then you worked for nothing. If not, you can get 1-5 GG for it right off the bat.

BGG has it's own virtual economy. It is very well designed and very well run. GG is valuable and not easy to come by. Many companies and websites have tried to set up virtual economies and without success.

A word of caution: Don't think it's a game of luck. Well, I'll just upload a bunch of forum threads and click 'article'. Eventually one is going to hit for some GG. What will happen is that you will get a reputation for posting bullshit and wasting people's time.

Again, look at my GG collected and given histories for examples. Also, you can look at other people's histories.

Recently, one guy got slapped with a 1000 GG gift from the admins. He worked for months correcting wiki entries and they decided to reward him for his many many hours of work. That is to say, the general rule at BGG is that one way or another eventually good content earns you GG.

Your loving father,

He who must sign your learner's permit application
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
unruled wrote:
Back in my day, we uploaded content because we wanted to help the hobby. All we got was a "Thanks for helping out" and we liked it.

They've been giving gg for contributions for years on BGG and you've been registered on BGG for only a year. In that time you've done 1 review and contributed no photos, game additions, geeklists or files uploads. As much as I appreciate the sentiment of your post I can't help but find this patting yourself on the back for your selfless uploading of content a touch amusing.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Quality Print on Demand Games & Prototypes
badge
mbmbmb
Just a small correction. I believe the amount per Ebay Auction connected with the game is .01 GG (not .10). And you get the amount when the auction is finished.

(Now, you can illustrate the principle #3, and tip this post to show how informative it is. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny Osborn
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
What an awesome post - stuffed full of great tips! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember reading a post about people making an average around .03 GG per image (when agreements and accept/reject differences are taken into account). So, 1 GG should only require about 33 images (1 / .03 ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
unruled wrote:
Back in my day, we uploaded content because we wanted to help the hobby. All we got was a "Thanks for helping out" and we liked it.

They've been giving gg for contributions for years on BGG and you've been registered on BGG for only a year. In that time you've done 1 review and contributed no photos, game additions, geeklists or files uploads. As much as I appreciate the sentiment of your post I can't help but find this patting yourself on the back for your selfless uploading of content a touch amusing.

I think he was trying to be funny since his post, unless accidental, is in the exact spirit of Dana Carvey's "Grumpy Old Man" SNL skit. "Back in my day, we *insert something boring or absurd or whatever* and we liked it!" Some of the few SNL skits I actually found funny.

EDIT: BGG didn't like the greater/lesser than signs I used, whoops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're really desperate you can go down to the GeekDocks and sell yourself to the GeekSailors. Sure it's dangerous, but I'm saving up for my "I'm Not Proud of What I Did..." GeekBadge.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
unruled wrote:
Yes, I am sure you can measure a man's gaming history by the length of his BGG account.

I was not referring to your gaming history but instead your contribution history to bgg. I don't care how long you have played games because that is completely an aside to what you posted about. I've played a ton of games myself over the years but that is immaterial to the subject of contribution of content to BGG.

Your post was very much a pat on your own back on the contributions you have made. As I said I appreciate greatly the sentiment of your original post as do I all contribution to bgg of content. But when you post about how selfless you are and your contributions from a profile that is pretty much a blank slate with no contributions and that the profile is used mainly to make money from BGG through the selling of games (by your own admission), it's difficult to read your post without having a chuckle.

So I think you would have better served your own message by explaining some of what you said about Gaming Dumpster and such to preface your first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McKitrick
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the excellent tips on GG! If I had any yet, I would have to tip you for the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thank you for a very useful post. I've been here for a couple of years and still didn't know about several of the things you mentioned.

I've been hoping to do up some reviews eventually. Haven't found the time yet, but I definitely want to. Hopefully I won't stink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post full of helpful tips!

You forgot to mention that new users who don't mind a little danger can earn quick GeekGold by finding old members on the Wargaming forum and posting rude comments making fun of whatever the "old timer" just posted. Try something like, "I bet you think Memoir '44 is too complex, you're so dumb."

If you can make the grumpy old grognard angry and trick him in to using the phrase "Advance After Combat" when he replies to your insults, you get his pot of Geek Gold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
Yes, thank you for a very useful post. I've been here for a couple of years and still didn't know about several of the things you mentioned.

I've been hoping to do up some reviews eventually. Haven't found the time yet, but I definitely want to. Hopefully I won't stink.

Nah, don't worry about that. Just read some other reviews, pick a structure you like and go at it. I'll approve 'em if I get 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lil li
msg tools
mbmb
"Thank you" says new user girl. I've been lurkin' and learnin'.

And apparently need grammar lessons blush I left out a word; that's my edit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thorndor wrote:
I seem to remember reading a post about people making an average around .03 GG per image (when agreements and accept/reject differences are taken into account). So, 1 GG should only require about 33 images (1 / .03 ).

You could only collect that much if at least 1/3 of all images get declined, and you are right about all the time. This isn't going to happen. I assume they got geekgold from modding other things, too, and not all sources are listed (for example modding representative images, and some time ago modding mfg suggested ages)

I seem to recall that according to an admin, about 10% of the images get declined. Then you gain from modding 100 images
1.0 GG if you decline anything
0.9 GG if you approve anything
1.9 GG if you get anything right
1.5 GG if you have a match of 79% (which is quite high, but doable)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Dornbrook
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my day, you just posted in a forum and begged for geekgold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you send me a GG I'll let you in on a very tricky and underhanded way to earn GG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance this post can get stickied somewhere? It's incredibly helpful and I know it would have answered a ton of questions I had as a new user.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
6. BGG connects game pages with eBay auctions for that game. I think you get 0.10 GG for each eBay auction you hook up to a game. This is a somewhat laborious way to earn GG but a way nonetheless.

Not if you're captcutnpaste:

Ebay Listings GeekGold: 8557.63

wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
game_boy wrote:
Not if you're captcutnpaste:
Ebay Listings GeekGold: 8557.63

Here you can read how he managed this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also decline a few images at just the right time when an image bug is on the loose and make hundreds of bag in a few hours. Unfortunately if you are like me, you will then be in bag debt and slave your way out of it to restore your dignity. I currently sit at about -66.00 bag but less than 2 months ago I was at -260.00 or something like that due to my impulse buying of microbadges.

Should have taken the approach "We don't need no stinkin' badges!", but the bag lottery-like sensation was irresistable!

See this thread for more details of the bug http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/318617

At least I got a cool complimentary microbadge for my shameful blush particpation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Hundley
United States
Danville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Running scripts for the listing of ebay auctions is BS. My opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misfits859 wrote:
Running scripts for the listing of ebay auctions is BS. My opinion.
Agreed, where should the line get drawn? Should we all pat the mighty script writers on the back if they "bot" the image approval system? Just write a script that approves everything and come back in a few weeks to hundreds of geek gold! Woo-hoo!

Writing scripts to link hundreds of checkers games for sale on ebay really does NOT enrich the BGG community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spaz Devaux
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
thx you anwsered all my questions!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ripley
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great answers,
nice narrative structure.
Thus:
I turn from the veteran, my thoughts racing with the possibilities now placed before me. Frankton, the miscreant house slave I have been stuck with since leaving the estate of my own father, has brought my horse forward.
"Frankton. We will be questing this year after all."
"I can think of nothing better sire." mumble mumble...
"For I too will have the shiny microbadges Frankton! Mark my words well."
"They are marked in my heart, my lord. The cart is ready; all of your games and supplies are therein secure." and then some mumbling noise about dumb dice spilling everywhere.

As I rode forth, Frankton's cart creaking away behind me, I was sure that the veteran stood proud. Knowing that he had set yet another adventurer on a path to glory. Nay, Geek Glory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Blowers
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you check your GG Balance? I cant find it in my profile??

HELP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.