United States
Bethany
Connecticut
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2015: March 13, 14, 15 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FieldMarshalGames wrote:
How do you check your GG Balance? I cant find it in my profile??

HELP!

Go to your profile, then click on the "GeekStuff" tab. It'll be in the right-hand column.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Blowers
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Csigs wrote:
FieldMarshalGames wrote:
How do you check your GG Balance? I cant find it in my profile??

HELP!

Go to your profile, then click on the "GeekStuff" tab. It'll be in the right-hand column.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Rupp
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old timer. I bet you also had to walk to school 5 miles uphill both ways in 3 feet of snow as well.:D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Cockerilll
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my day when we finished a game of Senat the player who threw the sticks last told the scribe to have a slave chisel a session report in granite!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Wizard
United States
flag msg tools
So do I have to upload 30 images to get an avatar? Or pay 30 dollars for it? I understand that the site wants to encourage members to upload photos and donate, but isn't this too much for a 40x40 pixeled image?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Quality Print on Demand Games & Prototypes
badge
mbmbmb
chipwizard wrote:
So do I have to upload 30 images to get an avatar? Or pay 30 dollars for it? I understand that the site wants to encourage members to upload photos and donate, but isn't this too much for a 40x40 pixeled image?

It's a 64 x 64 pixel image. To get the GG faster, just go to the GG auctions (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekauction.php3) and auction off $5. That'll bring more than enough. Of course this isn't as satisfying as uploading images, writing reviews, or donating to the site, but it'll work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alika Kawaiole
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I read this post. Are there any affirmative action programs for getting Geek Gold for poor Hawaiians such as myself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Oliveira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

i'm new here , so thanks a lot for this topic , i was wondering how to earn points , this topic answers my doubts :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Crowder
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not GG per se, but it's also worth mentioning the benevolent mods hand out free Microbadges every Dec 25th. That was a pleasant surprise!

Edit: I think you can also get GG by creating and submitting microbadges, if other people choose to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Abbamondi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thank you for posting this. I just registered here and it's a little confusing and hard to figure out how to, um, move forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian
Romania
Bucharest
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chipwizard wrote:

Don't tell me! I robbed, I stole, I cheated, I geekmodded to get the money for an avatar and I'm still 15 GG short! I have 3 pending games in the queue for a few days now - and this week-end they want to upgrade the site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to vituperate here, just want to see, whether I get it right:

If I want to support BGG monetary, I get 1 GG per Dollar.
However If I auction my dollars away, I'll get around 1 GG per 10 cent?

So, if I'd like to have the "complete package" (i.e. avatar, ubergeekbadge, 5 microbadges), I could spend ~200$ to BGG (and thus supporting BGG) or ~20$ to random users here (and thus not supporting BGG at all)?

Am I the only one considering this odd?
Or did I simply miss anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Quality Print on Demand Games & Prototypes
badge
mbmbmb
You get a supporter badge and adblock if you support BGG.

The GG Auctions for cash simply show the amount of money people are willing to exchange to get GG.

And by supporting BGG you get a small bonus - GG. You didn't always get GG for supporting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, being one of those who only has a badge as BBG Xmas gift, I think It's a long way to get to an avatar. I'll try with pictures, then, as my bad english can't really afford to a good review...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Harris
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unruled wrote:
Back in my day, we uploaded content because we wanted to help the hobby. All we got was a "Thanks for helping out" and we liked it.

Kids today.

But seriously, I agree 100%. That doesn't mean I won't take this article to heart, but I can relate to the sentiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
cicciburicci wrote:
well, being one of those who only has a badge as BBG Xmas gift, I think It's a long way to get to an avatar. I'll try with pictures, then, as my bad english can't really afford to a good review...

Then write a review in Italian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:

If I want to support BGG monetary, I get 1 GG per Dollar.
However If I auction my dollars away, I'll get around 1 GG per 10 cent?

So, if I'd like to have the "complete package" (i.e. avatar, ubergeekbadge, 5 microbadges), I could spend ~200$ to BGG (and thus supporting BGG) or ~20$ to random users here (and thus not supporting BGG at all)?

It's an economic system. No one is forced to sell gg. The price is set by auction, so there is no unfair manipulation.

Some users contribute pictures, articles, scripted links to ebay... etc, and are rewarded with geek-gold that they have no immediate use for. They exchange this for cash. BGG benefits from this process because those users are given an additional incentive to make their contributions.

The site improves people are rewarded for assisting they convert their reward. Hooray!

Simultaneously, other users (who have less time, opportunity, creativity ) get to demonstrate commitment and involvement.

It seems all good to me.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I would've read this post first. I have only been on BGG for a few months but using the site as a lurker for most of that time. I finally decided it was time to bite the bullet and support the site that's responsible for 95% of my knowledge and information about the hobby.

So, why donate just 15 when you can donate the $30 and get the avatar? Well, that just won't do... I need people to know that I am also a die-hard horned frog, purple through and through... so $38?

Probably couldve donated just the $15 and auctioned the rest I am now learning.

Then I think, "oh well". Thanks BGG! I hope it keeps the lights turned on for another year. I'll chalk it up as a noob mistake that supports my new favorite website as I attempt to go from lurker to active member of the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
South Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Tek-ma-tay my first-born. It is my duty to impart my wisdom. Harken.

Thumbed just for that line. Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roberts
United Kingdom
Colwyn Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this great post. As a new user it's certainly made things a lot clearer in regards to GeekGold and how to get hold of some.

Unfortunately, as a new user, I haven't got any to tip you with. So please remember the words of a man far wiser than I:-

"This time next year we'll be millionaires".

Hope that'll do instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post. It took me 3+ years to get my avatar! Granted it was only within the last year or so that I became a bit more active in trying to get one. My biggest issue was trying to find games that didn't already have an exhaustive amount of info provided. I usually looked to my most obscure games and looked at their galleries and reviews. If I felt I could add something, I did! Of course, begging and whining always help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bowers
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found your post to be very informative but your sense of hummor to be way to dry for me. Better luck next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoyN
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
I once met a native of this island and asked him, "Does 'Bal' mean yes?" He replied, "Bal."
mbmbmbmbmb
Psst, here's a tip: Team Geekdō is not only working for a good cause, but it's also been a nice source of :gggeekgoldbag:bagbag as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Bondy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This article has a lot of great tips in it, but I would hardly call a patron badge the most respected badge of honour. Giving away 15$ deserves little merit. Additionally, not spending 15$ on a less than worthy cause in no way means you don't deserve respect. An infinitely greater use of that 15 $ would be a real charity for animals or underprivelaged children, for example. If there is any one badge that really does command respect, it is the 'Game Designer' badge. These game designers are THE ONLY REASON ANY OF US ARE HERE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Pla

Puerto Rico
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
4. Images. You get 1 GG for every image you upload and that is accepted. Some people, nimble with a digital camera, make a lot of GG this way. But, be sure to follow the image uploading guidelines so that you don't waste your time with rejected images.

Thanks for the information, that was a good information that I do not know. I want to know how my photo that I upload take the GG and the acception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.