BoardGameBondy wrote:
This article has a lot of great tips in it, but I would hardly call a patron badge the most respected badge of honour. Giving away 15$ deserves little merit. Additionally, not spending 15$ on a less than worthy cause in no way means you don't deserve respect. An infinitely greater use of that 15 $ would be a real charity for animals or underprivelaged children, for example. If there is any one badge that really does command respect, it is the 'Game Designer' badge. These game designers are THE ONLY REASON ANY OF US ARE HERE.

Or alternatively, BGG USERS are the ONLY REASON ANY OF THEM ARE HERE. So which one came first, the chicken or the egg?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameBondy wrote:
This article has a lot of great tips in it, but I would hardly call a patron badge the most respected badge of honour. Giving away 15$ deserves little merit. Additionally, not spending 15$ on a less than worthy cause in no way means you don't deserve respect. An infinitely greater use of that 15 $ would be a real charity for animals or underprivelaged children, for example. If there is any one badge that really does command respect, it is the 'Game Designer' badge. These game designers are THE ONLY REASON ANY OF US ARE HERE.

I don't know about 'most respected badges', but I do know all those $15s do more for the viability of the site than uploading dozens of pics.

I find it bad taste to state "An infinitely greater use of that 15 $ would be a real charity for animals or underprivelaged children, for example" on a site where you yourself are a visitor.
It's like Aldi runs a restaurant and you are at a table blurting at the other guests: "hey people, don't spend your money here, you can cook at home and give your money to the church on the other side of the street." If you were in my restaurant, your face would now hit the pavement. Of course, Aldi is a much nicer person than I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Bondy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
BoardGameBondy wrote:

I don't know about 'most respected badges', but I do know all those $15s do more for the viability of the site than uploading dozens of pics.

I find it bad taste to state "An infinitely greater use of that 15 $ would be a real charity for animals or underprivelaged children, for example" on a site where you yourself are a visitor.
It's like Aldi runs a restaurant and you are at a table blurting at the other guests: "hey people, don't spend your money here, you can cook at home and give your money to the church on the other side of the street." If you were in my restaurant, your face would now hit the pavement. Of course, Aldi is a much nicer person than I am.

This site would survive without monetary contribution. A restaurant would not. This site would not survive without content contribution. Simple as that. Maybe you're right, maybe it was in bad taste to state it the way I did but that definitely doesn't make it any less true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameBondy wrote:
This site would survive without monetary contribution.
Sh*t. Aldi never told me. The rip-off.
BoardGameBondy wrote:
Maybe you're right, maybe it was in bad taste to state it the way I did but that definitely doesn't make it any less true.
There are things true about you I probably wouldn't mind spouting here if I knew them, but would never utter in your living room.

Mistreated animals, underpriviled children, suicidal bibleteachers, recovering crackhookers, former presidents of vanished countries, there's always a group in need and one more miserable then the other. Thanks for poiting that out. Now if I may suggest, you start a thread and find a way to collect money for them, but it would be nice if you wouldn't try to do it on the expense of BGG income, esp. since we're visitors, not owners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Bondy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
BoardGameBondy wrote:
This site would survive without monetary contribution.
Sh*t. Aldi never told me. The rip-off.
BoardGameBondy wrote:
Maybe you're right, maybe it was in bad taste to state it the way I did but that definitely doesn't make it any less true.
There are things true about you I probably wouldn't mind spouting here if I knew them, but would never utter in your living room.

Mistreated animals, underpriviled children, suicidal bibleteachers, recovering crackhookers, former presidents of vanished countries, there's always a group in need and one more miserable then the other. Thanks for poiting that out. Now if I may suggest, you start a thread and find a way to collect money for them, but it would be nice if you wouldn't try to do it on the expense of BGG income, esp. since we're visitors, not owners.

You could have spent that 75$ on a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie Ohi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
YAY, a chance to play games during the DAY!! (I am cursed with morning person genes)
badge
I tweet about board gaming at @BGGgirl, about writing/illustrating at @inkyelbows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to earn GG: enter my Cartoon Caption Contest! First prize gets 5 GG and I also had out discretionary GG. To be kept up-to-date about when new contests are posted (usually weekly), subscribe to the Cartoon Caption Contest Subscription Thread.

Debbie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Johnson
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
MeGrimlockKing wrote:
Also, if you send me a GG I'll let you in on a very tricky and underhanded way to earn GG!

Is it to post a comment like this?

chipwizard wrote:
So do I have to upload 30 images to get an avatar? Or pay 30 dollars for it? I understand that the site wants to encourage members to upload photos and donate, but isn't this too much for a 40x40 pixeled image?

YES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Johnson
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
philreh wrote:
BoardGameBondy wrote:

Or alternatively, BGG USERS are the ONLY REASON ANY OF THEM ARE HERE. So which one came first, the chicken or the egg?

That doesn't make any sense at all. Games were around long before the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragik Nate
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just registered two days ago but I have been using this site for about a month. I always felt like I should contribute to this site in some way but I didn't know how. I was thinking about doing reviews and session reports. However, I kept putting it off for a full month. Then I learned about geek gold and cool badges and T&E on-line play. Is it odd that geek gold and some micro badges motivated me to take some interesting pictures and attempt to make session and review posts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
tragik wrote:
Is it odd that geek gold and some micro badges motivated me to take some interesting pictures and attempt to make session and review posts?

Not at all. That's why they're there. People respond to positive rewards and even more to competition with others. It's not odd, just human. "You oughta do it because..." isn't nearly as good a motivator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mag dalicious
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I"m confused I read through it.. but I feel like I must have missed something... I submitted (and they were approved .. they are up) some pictures... but I didn't get any geek Gold from it. I actually did it before realizing I could get geek gold from uploading content... so did I do something wrong? Was I meant to do something when I uploaded?
Help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Magdalicious wrote:
Ok I"m confused I read through it.. but I feel like I must have missed something... I submitted (and they were approved .. they are up) some pictures... but I didn't get any geek Gold from it. I actually did it before realizing I could get geek gold from uploading content... so did I do something wrong? Was I meant to do something when I uploaded?
Help

You posted those images to your own gallery, which is fine in and of itself, but that doesn't earn any GG. Posting to your gallery doesn't go through GeekMod, FYI.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Rihar
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand something: yesterday when geekmoding, I gave this picture
an aprove, since it seemed cool and okay. It was refused and I thought I missed something, since it was my first time geekmoding. A few minutes ago the picture came up again and I gave it a decline, since it was declined yesterday. And today it got aproved :hmm:

Firstly I don't understand why would someone upload a picture that was just refused and I sure don't understand which time I failed to geekmod?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Double B wrote:
an aprove, since it seemed cool and okay. It was refused and I thought I missed something, since it was my first time geekmoding. A few minutes ago the picture came up again and I gave it a decline, since it was declined yesterday. And today it got aproved :hmm:

Firstly I don't understand why would someone upload a picture that was just refused and I sure don't understand which time I failed to geekmod?

People will resubmit pictures. Supposedly it's easier to get approval on weekends.

Could it be that the image was originally in the wrong category or submitted for the wrong game?

BTW, better to insert the image by its number as a Geek Image so people can click on it to see it larger:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Double B wrote:

People will resubmit pictures. Supposedly it's easier to get approval on weekends.

Could it be that the image was originally in the wrong category or submitted for the wrong game?

BTW, better to insert the image by its number as a Geek Image so people can click on it to see it larger:

It got declined at least twice yesterday. But it was rotated by 90°, which made it hard to read the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Rihar
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha.

Thanks to both of you. I remember it being rotated, but I don't remember if I checked the category and all that, I probably did. I guess it was the rotation
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Double B wrote:

It's not so much the day of the week as it is that a different set of modders will see the images. Depending on the collective standards of that second group, they may approve the same image that was previously declined.

For the OP: having said the above, for this image in question, it still should have been declined. First and most obviously, it's badly cropped: the background, which takes up roughly two-thirds of the images, adds nothing to the shot—it's just a waste of storage space and bandwidth. Second, the image isn't in focus; this blurriness is less obvious when viewed as a thumbnail or at a smaller resolution, but we're supposed to be modding the image itself. (You can see the image at full size by clicking the GeekMod thumbnail.)

Anyway, from one B to another, welcome to GeekMod, Double B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Rihar
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. And I agree it should've been cropped better. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm just laughing at one image being accepted twice in a matter of minutes ... It's kind of funny this geekmoding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mag dalicious
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B Factor wrote:
Magdalicious wrote:
Help

You posted those images to your own gallery, which is fine in and of itself, but that doesn't earn any GG. Posting to your gallery doesn't go through GeekMod, FYI.

Hope this helps!

Hmm yes and no... they show up in the game's pictures when I go not through my gallery but through the game itself.... how do I submit them through geek mod then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magdalicious wrote:
Hmm yes and no... they show up in the game's pictures when I go not through my gallery but through the game itself.... how do I submit them through geek mod then?

These 2 pictures went through GeekMod and you were rewarded for them:

You can see the rewards here, under GeekStuff, in your profile, by clicking on the GeekGold collected number.

Two other pictures were uploaded to your private gallery. They can only be accessed there, and you did not get GeekGold for them:

If you have not kept a copy of these pictures, you can click on them in your gallery (or above), click on original, and use your browser to copy the originals back to your computer. You can then submit them to GeekMod through the correct game pages (Ticket to Ride and Tobago, I think), as you did for the first 2 images. Remember to select "Creative" for the Ticket to Ride image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mag dalicious
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah cool thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gregoriou
United States
West Bend
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, after completing my inventory of games, here at BGG, I found that I have versions of Clue, Stratego and Sequence which are currently not listed on this site.

These would sure be worth taking pics and contributing, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IrishFire Herself
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Elbow smash wrote:
Hello, after completing my inventory of games, here at BGG, I found that I have versions of Clue, Stratego and Sequence which are currently not listed on this site.

These would sure be worth taking pics and contributing, correct?

Not if it's Clue Suspects!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Rihar
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going crazy here.

It says clearly in the rules for uploading: Please do NOT submit individual images for every mini or every card in a minis heavy or card heavy game. This is especially true for collectible minis games and CCGs.
And then someone uploads 140 images of cards of one CCG and gets first 10*k images approved while I copy-paste reasons to decline. And then people realise this is a bit too much and the last few images get rejected, like all should.

And then in a few hours this same person uploads let's say 3 images that were declined before and they get approved which really pi**** me off. And then he of course uploads the next 10 images and they get approved also. And I ask myself why do I even bother.

My suggestion would be that users who upload the same image again, while it's been rejected the first time should lose the privilege of uploading images for a week or so. And those who even try to upload a billion of individual cards also.

Rules are here to obey not to try to get pass them.

And what gets me pi**** even more is that this same person got enough thumbs he is now a silver image uploader. In a few weeks.

Fju, feel a bit better now. But is there something I can do about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing is to complain to Admin. But it took forever just to get "Please do NOT submit individual images for every mini or every card in a minis heavy or card heavy game. This is especially true for collectible minis games and CCGs" into the standards. As you see, it's often ignored.

Maybe a little GG will make you feel better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.