Subject: how does it play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi

I assume you have to have a train of all the same colour ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well..no, not really. It plays a little like games such as Cosmic Wimpout. You roll all 6 dice, trying to get an engine and tender. If you get them, you can start putting cars behind it. You keep rolling until you've either rolled 3 times, or roll only unplayable cars (on your third roll, if you don't have an engine and a tender, you pass turn order.)

You can get as much as 16 points for having 4 4s, or 24 points for having 3 4's and a caboose. You get 25 points for a "variety pack" train.

There's also "double engines", where if you put together a train with 2 locos, you get to keep rerolling and rerolling the cars until you either decide to stop or roll a caboose or roll all engines/tenders.

It's a neat little push your luck dice game, and it's even vaguely related to trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What preview button?
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C'mon Yahtzee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could remove a die and play train yahtzee if you wanted. But I like the actual game much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes lets not have Yahtze of we can have something even slightly different

BTW ever notice how all the dice games seem to use 6-sided dice, when there are 4s, 8s, 10s, 12, and 20s out there which you think could create some more in-deth dice game options

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:

BTW ever notice how all the dice games seem to use 6-sided dice, when there are 4s, 8s, 10s, 12, and 20s out there which you think could create some more in-deth dice game options

That's true, but d6's are the most familiar to people, and I think they're the cheapest to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
Talisinbear wrote:

That's true, but d6's are the most familiar to people, and I think they're the cheapest to make.

Not only that, but of all the die configurations, D6 allows the most picture to "rollability" ratio. Sure a D4 *may* have more area on a given face (and that's a big "MAY"), but it doesn't allow for the versatility in rolling that a D6 does. D8, 10, 12, and 20 are all out in a game like this because it actually has pictures of the cargo cars for your train.

I love this game, in fact I have to have my dad stop back by the Railroad museum on his way back up this summer so that I can get a couple more sets for my classroom! It's well worth it's filler time. Caylus it ain't, but it beats the everliving snot out of the totally drab Yahtzee. Simply by sheer theme!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big train buff or anything but I think it's a simply superb little game, filled with "make a deal" type choice points. ("You can stop right here and score 16 points, or you can roll again..."). The addition of the Freight Train rules (see the other thread) gives it big time potential for taking higher odds, maybe getting nothing at all, but also staging a huge come back. No lead is totally safe... Plenty of excitement, short rules that actually cover the permutation questions that have come up (and there are some!) and loud success or failure by rolling dice and making choices. Might be the perfect game.

But yes, Mathew, like you I got one, ordered another as a gift, and am now looking at getting a box full. Lots of places sell it on line-- you don't have to find a RR museum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.