Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a big version of Arbos once, and that one had apples (or cherries, or whatever) that you could stick to the tree. I think Arbos is a great dexterity game, one big factor is how good it looks. Having some red in the tree makes it look even better.

I realised making these "apples" by yourself can be pretty, if not very, easy. Thing is, though, I'm not very good at handiwork and I have almost no tools. But it turned out that it was even easier than I thought.

At a very typical hobby shop (Panduro Hobby here in Sweden), at the "make your own wooden dolls" corner, I found some 16mm wooden balls, complete with 4mm hole drilled through them! Twelve pieces for $2. Beside them were 4mm wooden barbecue sticks, like 50 for $2. Perfect!

Wood glue (can be bought everywhere) on the barbecue sticks, cut into 30mm pieces (I used a normal table meat knife), stick into the wooden balls, paint them with red laquer paint (any paint shop). Voilà. My very first real pimp of a game.

Made 24 of them. If all branches are put first, you'll have 56 holes, 25 of which will be filled with leaves. Having another 24 won't hurt.

Will upload a photo once I get around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, here's a photo of the finished product. I wasn't too delicate with the paint (just dipped it into some water-mixed red hobby paint) so some of it came on the twigs, but what the heck…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
Very pretty indeed. Good job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yes. Great idea. I may do this myself. I have a copy of Arbos and I feel the game needs a little extra oomph to make it shine. This is it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." ~Ettiene De Grellet
badge
MythicParty is a collaboration of socially-conscious geeks who raise $ to help various charitable causes- thanks to our supporters at Gen Con 2010, we raised $2,052 for an effort to help Gulf Coast recovery. Anyone can get involved just ask me how!
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'Big Version'
Zimeon wrote:
I saw a big version of Arbos once, and that one had apples (or cherries, or whatever) that you could stick to the tree.
Oh wow. Do you remember where you saw it? Could it have been a special edition or perhaps a demo/prototype?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MythicParty wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
I saw a big version of Arbos once, and that one had apples (or cherries, or whatever) that you could stick to the tree.
Oh wow. Do you remember where you saw it? Could it have been a special edition or perhaps a demo/prototype?

Yes, it was at a convention in Sweden, at a guy who did some private imports of weird games. He had a strange special edition of it. Like, a meter tall or something. Am sure you can find some pictures on the web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.