Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a big version of Arbos once, and that one had apples (or cherries, or whatever) that you could stick to the tree. I think Arbos is a great dexterity game, one big factor is how good it looks. Having some red in the tree makes it look even better.

I realised making these "apples" by yourself can be pretty, if not very, easy. Thing is, though, I'm not very good at handiwork and I have almost no tools. But it turned out that it was even easier than I thought.

At a very typical hobby shop (Panduro Hobby here in Sweden), at the "make your own wooden dolls" corner, I found some 16mm wooden balls, complete with 4mm hole drilled through them! Twelve pieces for $2. Beside them were 4mm wooden barbecue sticks, like 50 for $2. Perfect!

Wood glue (can be bought everywhere) on the barbecue sticks, cut into 30mm pieces (I used a normal table meat knife), stick into the wooden balls, paint them with red laquer paint (any paint shop). Voilà. My very first real pimp of a game.

Made 24 of them. If all branches are put first, you'll have 56 holes, 25 of which will be filled with leaves. Having another 24 won't hurt.

Will upload a photo once I get around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, here's a photo of the finished product. I wasn't too delicate with the paint (just dipped it into some water-mixed red hobby paint) so some of it came on the twigs, but what the heck…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
Very pretty indeed. Good job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yes. Great idea. I may do this myself. I have a copy of Arbos and I feel the game needs a little extra oomph to make it shine. This is it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.