Subject: The Old Man Gets Beaten By Speedy Gonazles... ahem, Cheesy Gonzola rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our copy of Cheesy Gonzola arrived yesterday... so my 7 year old son & I couldn't wait to try it out. Since the glue was still drying on the tower, we decided to opt simply for using Cheesy Gonzola (the sombrero-wearing speedster mouse) and the Chunky Cheese Shover tile.

The Shover tile gives you a FREE extra tile shove... which is really nice as long as you're controlling it, but not so good when you let the other player get a hold of it & use it to trap all of your mice.

Yes, that's right, while I was using the Shover tile to amass 4 cheese tokens (with the expansions, it's suggested that you play to 5 cheese tiles), my son made a beeline for the center of the board & control of Cheesy. He then used Cheesy to take control of the Shover tile & promptly knocked off 3 of my mice...

...my only chance was to control Cheesy (thus giving me a 2nd mouse) - which I managed to do. But doing so left my other mouse vulnerable... and dead.

Some comments:
- the game seems MUCH more fluid with extra moves & Cheesy buzzing all over the place
- the game also seems MUCH more "nasty" - it's a whole lot easier to target other players when you can shove two tiles
- each of the individual sections of the rules suggest that you will have two tiles to choose from for shoving when playing with the Shover tile or Cheesy... they are not specific on what to do when you use them both. We opted to have three tiles available, which seems reasonable to me.
- the other "ruling" we made had to do with me staying in the game with one mouse... it seems like with the possibility of controlling Cheesy that a player w/one mouse could conceivably come back & score, so we adjusted the game end to include that... I have no idea whether that was the original intention or not.

After one play, I'm very positive about the expansion & less positive about the rules clarity. I'll write a review after a few more plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Session report Mark. I am quite taken by the base game, but haven't had the chance to play the expansion yet. My kids love it too, and are on my case about playing with Cheesy Gonzola so it should not be long until we try it.

In answer to your rules clarity comments, I must agree. The rules seem more like a hodge podge of ideas to incorporate and combine as you see fit. That's not that bad in my opinion, I'm quite comfortable with houseruling and trying all the different combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
In answer to your rules clarity comments, I must agree. The rules seem more like a hodge podge of ideas to incorporate and combine as you see fit. That's not that bad in my opinion, I'm quite comfortable with houseruling and trying all the different combinations.

Thanks, Yokiboy... I don't mind house-ruling, but it was a surprise to me in light of how concise the rules to the base game were.

Ah, well, that just means we'll have to play games with different combinations of rules & figure 'em out for ourselves - more gaming, eh?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds pretty good, Mark. Where'd you get your copy? At the very least, it's a must-buy just to serve as bits storage for the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
Sounds pretty good, Mark. Where'd you get your copy? At the very least, it's a must-buy just to serve as bits storage for the base game.

I ordered it from Spiele-Offensive... I couldn't find a definitive answer on whether Rio Grande was going to bring it over or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I hope to get this expansion to the table tonight!

Who can resist Cheesy??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.