Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been a long time since I have done this but it gives me great pleasure to introduce the new Geek of the Week, Brian Mola (ColtsFan76).
I first met Brian on BGG trying to find out more about Age of Empires III. Brian frequently posted on the forums for that game and proved himself to be a well informed, articulate geek with thorough understanding of rules and a good sense of diplomacy. When I was scouting out possible successors, Brian leapt to mind and on checking out his profile (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/ColtsFan76) I found that Brian is quite a contributor of images and microbadges for a start, plus he has enough thumbs to hitchhike around the world.

Enough of me prattling on. If we are going to hear about Brian, let’s hear it from the resident expert:

ColtsFan76 wrote:
First off, I would like to thank Critical Mass for this honor. It is even more special coming from the guy who started this tradition and selected the first GotW as well! Thanks again Andrew!

I feel a bit unworthy when I look across the list of Geeks of the Week that have made so many worthwhile contributions. Around here, I have been a jack of all trades but master of none: I dabble in making files, microbadges, images, reviews, etc. Usually, it is enough to earn a microbadge but not enough to be remembered for that “one thing.” Over the course of about 2.5 years, I have accomplished all of my goals that were within my power and now I have accomplished the one I had no control over: Geek of the Week!

Let’s keep my life story brief so we can get on to the games! I was born in NW Indiana in 1976, the oldest of 3 kids. With the exception of college, travel with work, and a year in Spain as a high school exchange student, I have lived in NW Indiana all my life. In fact, I live in the house next door to where my mom grew up. I am currently a Project Manager working for a construction company in Chicago. The great thing about my current assignment is I am back in the field and home by 3:00 pm every day (somehow the main office sucks the life out of you and your day as well). I will be married in September to my beautiful fiancée – but more on that later!

My gaming life is slightly more interesting, even if it only means name-dropping an eclectic collection of games. Being the oldest, it fell upon me to convince to play and attempt to explain the games to my brother and sister – and “explain” usually meant to manipulate the rules so I always won! Monopoly was a favorite along with a load of other mass-market kids games. My grandma helped me cut my teeth on Scrabble, while my grandpa broke out the quarters and taught me Poker. (That eventually helped establish a tradition of weekly Poker nights with my high school buddies.) After enough begging and pleading, my dad finally taught me Chess when I was about in the 4th grade. After I beat him three times in a row, I could never get him to play again…

Starting in 6th grade and on into high school, Axis & Allies became all the rage in our circle of friends. And while Memoir '44 easily replaced it many years later as my “plastic toy soldier game” of choice, the A&A series still holds a special place in my heart. Surprisingly enough, I never played Risk until I found it buried on a bookshelf in my host home in Barcelona in ‘92. But after playing A&A, I never did appreciate this “simple” game. My best memories of gaming in my teen years were when my mom and I started a tradition of gaming every Christmas Eve. She would buy a new party game for the family and allow us to open it before dinner. As dinner digested and before we got into the gift-giving, our extended family could sit down and enjoy a couple of games together. Some of our best memories include the laughter and bonding we had during these sessions. This is also when I developed the urgency to make everyone at the table play the game: there are no bystanders when my games are out! My grandma would always want to sit out claiming no idea how to play; but I always managed to get her involved and have her in tears of laughter before the night was over. Though our grandparents have passed and cousins have moved around, this tradition still lives on.

College saw the start of the Magic: The Gathering craze. I ditched that after my wallet and grades suffered, but I think I nearly broke even upon getting out. I returned to party games and picked up the Indiana “state game” of Euchre. I became a frequent denizen of the dorm lobby holding court with my games. I even spent some of the dorm’s budget (I was president ninja ) on new games that could be checked out for the night from the front desk.

After college and a few long, lonely years on the road, my gaming shut down and I had mostly forgotten about it. Occasionally, I would get together with my old college roommate Pauly (ipgyst) and would learn about his “weird” games in another language. The only impression it made on me at the time was purchasing Lost Cities. After flirting with a CCG again (this time it matched my toy-collecting enthusiasm: G.I. Joe TCG), I started dusting off the A&A and finally bought Axis & Allies: Revised. At a surprise party for another college friend, Chris (JettaKnight), I found myself playing a beer & pretzels game called BANG!. I fell in love with gaming once again and brought this game back home. It rekindled my gaming instincts and made me want to search out an FAQ and find similar games. That eventually led to my discovery, and permanent residence, here on the Geek.

My years here on BGG have passed quickly. I started dating my best friend, Christie. We quickly discovered that our pasts shared family gaming and she soon joined the Geek as well (Zoe79). Because of some life changes, we lost our gaming circle and so we began spending a lot of time playing games with just the two of us. Gaming has become so much a part of our lives that I used one of her favorite games, Pirate's Cove, to propose to her this past May and we are incorporating gaming into our wedding reception as well this September.

We purposely started seeking out friends, both new and familiar, for the specific purpose of starting a new gaming circle; we established a new tradition of gaming on (most) Sunday nights after church. With just this tiny bit of fuel, my collection caught on fire: about 2 dozen games turned into 2 dozen plastic tubs of games. I spend quite a bit of time here researching more games, reading more rules, and answering more questions. Our current favorites are most of my Top 10’s: Memoir '44, Arkham Horror, Power Grid, Carcassonne, Union Pacific, Wits & Wagers, and Yspahan.

And that about sums up my journey to be your GotW! I look forward to your questions!

==========

Two truths and a lie:

1) My brother is six years younger than me so he was usually closer to my sister who is the middle child. However, Axis & Allies was one of our bonding moments. I would always jump at the chance to set up the whole game if he offered to play. But he soon got into the habit - whether it was losing interest, getting beat, or simply getting too sleepy - of ditching the game before we could determine an official winner. About 15 years ago, after much pleading, I agreed to play against him again but swore to him that if he quit, I would never play him again. He agreed, but again quite before the game was over. That was the last time we ever played a board game, let alone A&A, against each other.

2) One of the many hats (and I do mean many!) I wear at my church is that of a Sunday School teacher (currently with the college and career age group). I so thoroughly enjoy teaching that I can’t contain my enthusiasm week after week. As soon as Sunday morning is done, I am reading about the next lesson and doing additional research. I approach my teaching plan like I would a new game: read and re-read the material, check other sources for ideas and additional thoughts, and throw together charts and other multi-media when necessary. I try to spend about a half hour every day contemplating and fine-tuning the presentation. Once Sunday morning is over, I am back in my routine!

3) About the only thing that comes close to my love of the Colts in the NFL is my hate for the New England Patriots. It’s not just a general rivalry hate, I can’t stand Tom Brady and Bill “Belicheat.” After my team won it all, I found the next year to be somewhat of a disappointment when not only did we get sidelined in the playoffs, but the Pats were poised to have the perfect season. An unlikely hero emerged in Peyton’s little brother Eli. I was very happy to root for a Manning vs. Brady Super Bowl. When the Giants pulled out the victory I was even happier that they crushed the Patriots than I was to see the Colts win it the year before. I was jumping around my living room and doing the happy dance – something that was remarkably absent the year before.

So Brian, what I want to know is how did you meet your fiancée, how exactly did you use Pirate’s Cove to propose to her and how are games going to be a part of the reception? (Obviously if any of this is classified information then don’t tell us. It would be most regrettable and a lot of effort to have to kill us)
Do you still play Euchre? It is quite similar in some ways to 500 which is the National Card game of Australia I think. Have you played 500?
You have become quite a games collector. How will you know when you have enough games? What about the decisive clue that you have too many games? …or is there no such thing.
I notice that like me, you became a Christian when you were 25. Would you like to share with us about your experiences at that time?
You seem to be a very contented gamer in that your average rating is quite high almost everything is rated 6 and up with a median around 8. Does that mean that you are happy to play jut about anything or that you are particular about finding out enough about games to only play the ones that you are likely to enjoy?
Mad Gab. Is it really that bad? Did your bad experience with this game relate to the group you gamed with, the genre of game or does it suck in very individual and specific ways?
You don’t think that much of the War of the Ring yet you have designed a bunch of microbadges for it. Why is that?
Mastermind is an old, old game which you rate particularly highly. Does it have sentimental value or do you just dig it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: GEEK OF THE WEEK: Brian Mola (ColtsFan76)
Hooray! Congratulations Brian. May your week as King Geek bring you much happiness and warm fuzzies.

Now, the serious questioning begins: Do you like Peanut Butter? If so, do you prefer crunchy or smooth? I like them both, so there is no wrong answer here!

Secondly, if you could buy any car in the world, from any era, what would you get? I like Austin Healy Sprites' with bug eyes.

Congratulations again!
Big hugs,

Shebby
xxx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Brian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Brian! Nice to see a fellow M'44 enthusiast get the GotW honor! Just curious - what puts M'44 at the top of the pack for you, when it comes to Richard Borg's Commands and Colors games? I'm especially interested in your take on C&C Ancients, since many here consider it the ultimate expression of the C&C system to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
Good choice Andrew!

Way to go Brian!

I have FIVE questions.

1) Carcassonne _________ ?

2) Age of Empires III __________, The Age of Discovery ?

3) Ticket to Ride, __________, Switzerland, __________, but Ticket to Ride: The Card Game ?

4) __________ Blue Moon __________ City ?

5) Bohnanza __________ !

...the last one not so much a question as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Brian, I concur that it's great to see an old Memoir'44 enthusiast getting the honour and a well-deserved one it is too, especially being chosen by the person who started it all.

I'm not going to bug you with any questions. Just wish you all the best on your ordeal reign as the week goes on.

I must also thank Brian for his contributions on Memoir'44 to not only this site but the DoW forum.

Kindest regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Usual edits for spelling and last minute thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Congratulations, sir!

I have to ask, exactly when did you become an Indianapolis Colts fan? Was it right when they moved into your town?

I was kind of on the other end of this one. All I remember was the Colts tractor tailer sneaking off in the middle of the night...

However, I was happy for Payton, and Eli, and even Archie when the two brothers won Super Bowls...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like I made a popular choice. Good. Just so you know, Brian had a family wedding to attend last night so he will be on today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooo Hooo!!! Congratulations Brian!!! An awesome choice for Geek of the Week!

My usual two game related questions...

1) If you had to pick one "new to you" game of this year, what would it be and why?

2) If you could only keep 5 games from your collection, but you knew that you'd always have exactly the right number of people to play them whenever you wanted to. What games would you keep?

Plus a few Arkham Horror specific questions... your opinions on the following please:

1) Favourite GOO?
2) Least Favourite GOO?
3) Toughest GOO/Herald combo?
4) Favourite Character?
5) Least Favourite?
6) Most cinematic moment in a game of Arkham Horror?

Have a fantastic week... it's well deserved..... and perhaps while you're distracted here, a few of us will be able to get in the first/best answer to an Arkham Horror rules query
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Bethany
Connecticut
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2015: March 13, 14, 15 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brian!

I don't have a boardgame related question for you ... but let's talk NFL! As a long time, devoted New England Patriots fan (from 1976 coincidentally) I actually have nothing but respect and admiration for the Colts, their fans and the intense rivalry that our favorite teams have shared. Seems like our teams play each other twice every year (once in the season, once in the playoffs).

So let me ask a couple of football related questions:

1) Do you have a favorite Colts win over the Pats?

2) Other than the SuperBowl, any other favorite Colts win?

3) What's your prediction for the coming Colts season?

4) To keep it on-topic for the website, do you ever play any sports simulation games?

And to close, I thought you might enjoy a photo of some great NFL action to get you into a football mood ...

Take care! And best of luck to the Colts in the coming regular season (except on November 2nd ...)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:
It looks like I made a popular choice. Good. Just so you know, Brian had a family wedding to attend last night so he will be on today.

Wow! Thanks for the warm reception everyone! Sorry I was fashionably late to my party. My one and only sister was married yesterday and I am exhausted! I have a few minutes before church to get to some of the questions but will have to resume this afterwards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Brandt
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Grimworls said, it is rare to find an Arkham Horror thread without his in depth reply 5 minutes after posting. I am relatively new to BGG, but seen enough to know you have well deserved the title.

I dont want to add any more questions to the growing burden everyone are waiting answers to, just waiting for some more heartwarming stories about gaming with your fiancee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am on a Journey...
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
...to explore and discover games of all shapes and sizes regardless of colour, condition or creed
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey congrats Brian. I'll echo the sentiment that you are are clear and concise poster here on the Geek and your thoughts are always appreciated by me and many many others.

Great to see a Memoir fan up in lights too.

My questions shouldn't be too hard -

d10-1 Which incarnation of Memoir '44 is your favourite from those currently available and why?

d10-2 Which scenario is your fav of all time (official or fan created) and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Brian! Your many posts on the M44 forums have been most helpful and are greatly appreciated meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brian! This is well deserved because you've genuinely inspired the geek in so many of us.

Thanks for the multitude of PBEM lessons and sessions of M'44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McQ
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have many dealings with this guy. But as Ashlar just said, everytime there is an Arkham Horror question posed by someone on here and I am about to respond, there is the Coltsfan with the quick reply. Good work man and congrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice! It is almost a two for one with Colts and Zoe! Nice. I think my favorite thing I remember about Colts is the Days of Wonder Pre-Order geek list. That makes me snicker to this day. Congrats on GOTW and the upcoming nuptials
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:
So Brian, what I want to know is how did you meet your fiancée, how exactly did you use Pirate’s Cove to propose to her and how are games going to be a part of the reception? (Obviously if any of this is classified information then don’t tell us. It would be most regrettable and a lot of effort to have to kill us)

Christie and I have known each other for about 6 or 7 years. We met at our church where we were both in a play. As she likes to say, I was Jesus and she was a drugged out teen! There was a special bond back then but since we were both in committed relationships, we were content to become good friends. A few years ago, we both went through some life changes and found ourselves single and isolated from most of our friends. We hung out more and more and the close friendship turned into mutual respect and eventually a deep love. It just made sense and felt right that we should be together and our new friends at church agreed, pushing us together and encouraging us to be happy! I must say, it is most refreshing and much easier on the relationship to fall in love with your best friend than it is to make a friend out of a lover.

I stalled a long time in getting around to proposing to her. It had nothing to do with any doubt it was just that she charged me with one request: be creative! Gah, I was devastated! I wasn't creative on command and ran through many cheesy and obvious scenarios that I quickly dismissed. Finally, she reminded me that I spend so much time tinkering with my games that she was disappointed I couldn't do the same for her.

So it hit me! Make it a game! She had been attending classes so I barely saw her and it was the perfect time to strike! I made up a special card in Pirate's Cove to send her on a scavenger hunt. At each spot, I made up some fake parchment paper with the next clue. I had her running all over the house and led her back to this old ceramic pirate chest I made in Junior High. But all that was there was a clue to turn around and walk the plank. I was standing behind her with another treasure chest and the ring inside. It went pretty smoothly except the initial card draw in Pirate's Cove. It had a small knick in it and so I could see when it was on the top of the deck. I knew then not to go to an island that would have me draw a card. But she kept damaging my ship and I was forced to draw the card. When she wasn't looking, I'd put it back on the top of the pile or do a slight of hand and draw the 2nd card leaving "the one" on top. The whole first game, I drew the thing about a dozen times. She pummeled me, so I challenged her to a rematch. This time, it worked naturally! Man was I sweating bullets.

For our reception, we are planning on a massive game of Wits & Wagers at each table. I have been trying to modify it slightly so we can accomdate the large group without having to buy a copy of the game for each table. The plan is to let each winner at each table take home a free game. Dominic C. of North Star has graciously sent me 8 copies of Say Anything and 4 copies of W&W to give out as prizes. I also have a dozen copies of Carcassonne, Bohnanza and other gateway games as 2nd place prizes. We hope this little activity will occupy their time as they wait for us to get there, reflect our personalities, and get a whole slew of new gamers! (And I am going to offer to go to any of their homes and teach them the new games they win!)

Quote:
Do you still play Euchre? It is quite similar in some ways to 500 which is the National Card game of Australia I think. Have you played 500?

Geographically and mentally, NW Indiana is more closely linked to Chicago, Illinois and would like nothing better than to split off and join the city - and the rest of Indiana would gladly oblige them if it wasn't for all the revenue they generate! It's hard to find good Euchre players up this way but I have been slowly introducing it and getting a few games in here and there. It's a great game because it is simple to setup and quick to play.

I have not tried 500 but I will most definitely look into it! I am always up for a new game! That will be my next game to research.

Quote:
You have become quite a games collector. How will you know when you have enough games? What about the decisive clue that you have too many games? …or is there no such thing.

Ha! I don't think I will ever have enough. I get close to contentment every once in a while and then some Game-A-Thon comes along and I want more. For the most part, though, I feel I have filled most holes in my collection based on theme, mechanics, and number of players.

As far as clues when enough is enough: 1) would be Christie scolding me for more - especially when we aren't caught up with playing what we have. 2) is the physical limitation of storage. She'll move in with me after the wedding but our first goal will be to look for a house that can hold this collection and then some! 3) I am finally getting close to the point of considering which games to get rid of. There are a handful that are better implemented in other games or just weren't as exciting as I thought they would be.

Quote:
I notice that like me, you became a Christian when you were 25. Would you like to share with us about your experiences at that time?

Thank you for asking! It sounds like we may also have had similar struggles up to that point. Coming from an engineering background I felt religion was silly and stuggled with it for a long time. I was probably better described as Agnostic (while still a non-believer, the term has the connotation around here of being one that believes "something" must be out there). But God always put Christians in my path and it was a question I was forced to deal with many times.

Most of my college friends were Christians and so I at least warmed to the ideas they had about faith. My hurdle was still the scientific aspect of it. I left college and wanted to get going with my life. I reunited with a high school acquaintence and we thought we were right for each other. She was Christian and I was not. We married anyway and started attending my grandparent's church (which I had been a visitor to for many many years). But the struggles of marriage and the demands of my job tore us apart and we quickly divorced.

I was devastated. I had an easy life with success coming easily but this one thing alluded me. I felt I was at rock bottom. I continued to attend the church in my sorrow and was surprised to find the love and support the church gave me (especially since it seems divorced people can be relegated to 2nd class citizens in some churches). I was amazed how they flocked around me, the agnostic, and stood up for me againt the actions of my ex-wife who was "one of them." Through this kindness, I was able to see the Love of God and begin to understand what it meant to me personally.

In my frustration of wrestling with these issues and trying to comprehend, I challenged God that if He wanted me, to come and get me (something I don't necessarily recommend: ordering the God of the universe!). But He did just that. In a matter of one weekend, three things grasped my attention in the church bulletin: a church workday, the start up of a new Men's Ministry, and this thing called Builders for Christ. The workday interested me because I could help do small maintainence. That led to me meeting Don Eich, who was going to lead the Men's Ministry and to Rich Powell, who was going to lead the Builders for Christ. Both became quick friends and role models.

With Don, I was able to see what a man of God truly is and how a man is to act in this world. With Rich, I was able to return the talents that God gave me in construction to build new churches and fix the houses of disadvantaged church members. The orchestration of all this lead me to finally give my life to the Lord in January of 2001. I had that life-chaning experience when I knew I was being singled out and asked to accept Jesus in my heart. My first Builders for Chirst trip to Connecticut took place in that June and was enough to convince me of the importance of Baptism as a public symbolic commitment to the new life I was granted. I was then baptized in July of 2001 just before my 25th birthday.

What I realized in my journey is that science is not meant to explain away God. Quite the contrary, they can co-exist (though God still trumps!). Science can attempt to explain God. Indeed, God gave us the knowledge (or more like we swiped it) and curiosity to explain all around us. Was there a Big Bang? Most likely, but it went something like God said, "let it be" and Bang! it was! I believe the Bible to be literal and true and while that may conflict with scientific "proof" now, I have the faith that it will all be reconciled someday; all that is "missing" will be explained away.

But being a Christian goes beyond just that. It goes beyond being even a religion. It is a personal relationship. To "outsiders" it may be all confusing and contradictory. To "insiders" it makes perfect sense. You know when God has come into your life and forgiven you for your past and your future mistakes.

Though I am far from perfect, I know I am changed. And I try to live my life to glorify Him.

Quote:
You seem to be a very contented gamer in that your average rating is quite high almost everything is rated 6 and up with a median around 8. Does that mean that you are happy to play jut about anything or that you are particular about finding out enough about games to only play the ones that you are likely to enjoy?

A little of both. Like my hero Tom Vasel, "I'll play almost any game (at least once!)."

But mostly, it is because I do spend a lot of time researching the games and so hopefully I get the games that I want. I also try to use the Geek recommended ratings so I stay consistent between my votes. I think if you rate games on how often you would play them, the numbers may tend to skew upwards as well. My half point ratings are meant to adjust this slightly: if I like a game more than the BGG rating would suggest, I give it a point higher. And if I am willing to play it more than I like it, it gets dinged a point.

Quote:
Mad Gab. Is it really that bad? Did your bad experience with this game relate to the group you gamed with, the genre of game or does it suck in very individual and specific ways?

Yes, it is that bad. Again, with the BGG ratings, I think this game is "clearly broken." If you talk like a robot when reading the clue you might as well just give the answer away. Once we figured this out, the game was a dud. And with that it has the dubious honor of being my only "1"!

Quote:
You don’t think that much of the War of the Ring yet you have designed a bunch of microbadges for it. Why is that?

The reason I became so prolific with MicroBadges is that I was one of the early adopters. This was back before Lajos took it over and I think any Admin would post them for you. I liked the idea of making 16x16 goodness and so went through my collection to see what hadn't been given the MB treatment. I had just finished up the Memoir badges and I think they turned out well, especially since one could identify the nations clearly. WotR seemed like a natural choice. At the time I designed them, I had not yet played WotR (due to table space limitations) but had read through the rules and fully expected to love the game. It wasn't until after they were posted that I fianlly played the game and had one of the biggest let downs of my gaming life.

I should have known: these were some of the toughest badges to make. They went through several iterations and I actually proposed 2 final sets. The first was the actual diamond shaped markers but they were too difficult to distinguish. Trimming off the diamond and focusing on the circular icon made it a little more recognizable. I have never been satisfied with how they turned out. After picking up some tricks of the trade, I went back about 6 months ago and redid them all, making them brighter and increasing the contrast. Lajos graciously swapped them out for me. And while they look better, I am still not completely happy with them. Much like the game I guess!

Quote:
Mastermind is an old, old game which you rate particularly highly. Does it have sentimental value or do you just dig it?

I am actually surprised Mastermind ranks so low. Is it broken? Is it boring? I don't know, but I haven't gone back to see why that is. I like the game but it is sentimental to me because I first played it as a kid. My dad's workplace had their annual Christmas party for all the employees. One year, they gave away games to all the kids; there was a massive amount of them. They would call us up in age ranges and allow us to pick one. I had never seen it before and it was the most intriguing. It became sort of a gateway game for a lot of friends and girlfriends throughout the years and was probably one of my favorite 2-player games until I got back into gaming more seriously. But I have always enjoyed it. I think my original copy was sold in a garage sale but I have a replacement.

Well, this went longer than I expected! I have to jump in the shower and run to church. But I'll be back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brian. I have always enjoyed your input here on BGG.

Now, we have talked about it... when are we going to meet face-to-face and play? (I bet it won't be in September - congratulations on that as well - wow! the honor of being both a groom and a Geek of the Week all in one summer!!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Wow! Thanks for the warm reception everyone!

Congrats!
You answered some of my Battlelore questions before, and I saw you frequenting BGG and the DoW boards, so thanks for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Morley
United States
Rainier
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many congratulations upon winning, I've enjoyed discussing games with you since I first saw your Pirate's Cove engagement posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Csigs wrote:
Congratulations Brian!

I don't have a boardgame related question for you ... but let's talk NFL! As a long time, devoted New England Patriots fan (from 1976 coincidentally) I actually have nothing but respect and admiration for the Colts, their fans and the intense rivalry that our favorite teams have shared. Seems like our teams play each other twice every year (once in the season, once in the playoffs).

So let me ask a couple of football related questions:

1) Do you have a favorite Colts win over the Pats?

2) Other than the SuperBowl, any other favorite Colts win?

3) What's your prediction for the coming Colts season?

4) To keep it on-topic for the website, do you ever play any sports simulation games?

And to close, I thought you might enjoy a photo of some great NFL action to get you into a football mood ...

Take care! And best of luck to the Colts in the coming regular season (except on November 2nd ...)!

Brian,

As a lifelong Steelers fan, I have also admired the Colts organization from back when they were still in Baltimore. Your coach, Tony Dungy, is the epitome of class. Of course, that's not surprising, considering he started his NFL career as a Pittsburgh Steeler, and played for us in Super Bowl 13.

A few more questions:

1. Are you concerned that Mannings' knee injury is going to slow him down this year?

2. What is your predicted score of the Steelers-Colts game this November 9th?

3. Back to boardgames, which, if any, is your favorite football boardgame, and why?

Finally, I too will leave you with a football pic to further get you in the mood for football season. I'm sure you remember this play? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wow, congrats Brian! GotW is nothing compared to finding that special person to spend the rest of your life with. I wish the both of you eternal happiness.

I'm that other Brian that was taking part in the Game-a-thon and on the Pozy forum. Thought you might like to know for reference purpose.

Anyways, my pick for the lie is number 3. I don't care how much of a fan of the Colts you are or how much the average Colts fan should hate the Pats. Passion for one's home team is one thing, HATE is another and just not becoming of a Christian. Of course, being born in Springfield, Massachusetts and being a Patriots fan myself clouds the issue, but I'll be the first one to admit to ANYONE that at the LEAST they should have been forced to forfeit that Jets game in addition to getting a bit more punishment than the relative slap on the wrist they got.

My questions for you:

1. Just how much joy does it bring to your life to know that you found a woman that shares your passion for Christ and gaming?

2. If given the choice to keep only one of your senses, which would it be and why?

3. Do you feel that since becoming a Christian, you've had to make any changes regarding choices of games to play based off of theme?

4. Hmmm...sick of answering questions yet?

5. You rate Carcassonne pretty high. I have the Rio Grande Games Big Box Limited Edition that came with the base game, Inns and Cathedrals, Traders and Builders, Princess and the Dragon, the Tower and the River. Do you personally own any of the expansions? Do you play with them and which ones do YOU recommend?

6. Last but not least, I've enjoyed our couple of chats. I could always use another geekbuddy. Got room for one more on your end?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll ask more questions later - when the "he's all new & shiny GotW" rush slows down - but for now a well-deserved "congratulations" is in order for receiving this honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.D.W
United States
San Angelo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice for GOTW. Congrats Brian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.