Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Everyone,

So, my parents are on a wonderful trip to Africa right now and will have a brief layover in London at the Heathrow Airport on their return trip on August 10th. They are scheduled to arrive at 6:50 AM BST and to depart at 4:20 PM BST.

Here’s my request. I have asked my parents to, if possible, stop in at a game store while they are in London. I wondered if anyone could suggest a good gaming store that would be close to the Heathrow Airport that they could make it to? Are there any games that I can only get in Europe that I should consider having them pick up for me? They will not have much luggage space, but I suspect that they would pick up a couple of small games and maybe even 1 big box game. I was thinking about having them look for Michael Schacht’s new game Shanghaien, Animalia, and perhaps Die Fugger or Canal Grande. I am also looking for a copy of the old Martin Wallace trick taking game Und Tschuss.

Thanks so much for any help and/or information that you can give me,
Brad Keen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Fleischman
United States
Brookfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Risk Express

It's only 9 GPB (18 USD) there. Here, in the short spans it's been available, it's $30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just in London a couple months ago and must confess I was really let down by the game selection. In the three stores I visited, I could find none of the games I really wanted, which were German games which had not yet made it to the US. Nearly all the games were available in the states and were much cheaper back here as well. I don't think I came across a German version of any game at all. The two I picked up were Take it Easy and the previously mentioned Risk Express, which didn't even come from a game store, but from WH Smith, a bookstore.

Sorry I can't give you better news, but I found my time traveling to these games stores not to be worth the effort. That said, if they want to give it a try, Heathrow airport is ideal. They can catch the Tube straight into London, have a look around, and then head back on the Tube before their flight leaves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I just checked the calendar. August 10 is a Sunday. In all likelihood, the game stores will be closed on Sunday. That was another thing that suprised me - stores were not open until 9pm every day like they are here in the US.

Check this thread for a list of gamestores in London: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302
A number of them have websites, or at least contact info, so you can make sure they are open before your parents head into the city. You may even be able to contact some of them about specific games. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that Leisure Games in Finchley is closed on Sundays and I suspect the others I know of will be too (Playin' Games and Orcs Nest).

As has previously been mentioned the selection will probably not be what you're hoping for either. Unfortunately it's not as simple as going to Europe and expecting a nice selection of German titles that you can't get back home. Here in the UK we also have to wait for English editions of things as I really don't think there is the market to make it worthwhile for stores to import German versions.

Oh and yes the prices over here suck. The only thing I could possible suggest trying to pick up right now would be Agricola, although by mid-August they may well have found their way to the States anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't any game stores close to Heathrow, they're a tube journey or two away. Although, Risk Express is the sort of game you might actually be able to buy in the airport. The other games you name I have never seen in a UK game shop. You might have better luck if you got your parents to stop over somewhere in Germany instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, sadly they only have this small windows of opportunity to pick up some games. Ultimately, I suspect that the exchange rate is going to kill any sort of deals that I had hoped for anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Wil
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi,

I just phoned the "Playin Games" shop, which is located on 33 Museum Street, almost opposite the southern entrance to British Museum. Your parents could possibly combine a museum visit with a games pick-up :)

The shop is open 12-18 on Sundays and you can email them to check availability and prices for games you're interested in. I'll message you with the email they gave.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.