Recommend
25 
 Thumb up
 Hide
162 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: No More Gaming at Church rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: religion [+] christianity [+] church_group [+] church_gaming [+] [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I wanted to post this because I didn't have any suggestion as to what to do.

My situation was this.

I went to church yesterday with some friends. The church was having service for the high school group, which I'm not a part of. My friends were also in college, so they weren't in that group.

So I brought Race for the Galaxy over to play with my friends. So I bring it and we play on the table. As we play, a guy walks into the room and says he wants to join. So we let him join.

Then as the game is about to end, the door behind me opens. The pastor immediately sees me and the game and the other players. She then scolds me. She tells me, I'm a bad influence, to clean up the game and she says never to bring the game ever again.

Now I'm stunned by this and I don't say anything. I don't say anything because I feel if I say something, I would set something bad for the kids and secondly, I have to be careful about what I say.

So I've been holding it for now.

My friends then tell me that the guy that we allowed to play, the one that had walked in, was in the high school service and that perhaps the pastor thought that we influenced him to ditch it.

I feel a sense of injustice. I never forced the kid to play. I never even thought he was in that service. Also, I totally think that gaming is not something that detracts from the church. It's a justifiable hobby just as basketball, tennis, or whatever is. Banning it... I think is too far.

I feel like I should approach the pastor, but I don't know what to say exactly. I feel I should ask why I would be a bad example and why gaming is banned. Thoughts?
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy

Allen Park
Michigan
msg tools
Wouldn't want to disappoint Frumpish...
mbmbmb
I think I would definitely ask her why she thinks you and your game are a bad influence. It could be as simple as the guy joining when he should have been doing something else or maybe there's more to it. Either way, I think you need and deserve to know why.
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmb
Have you spoken with the Pastor before? In order to build some sort of repore?

As you said, it might not have been the game itself, but you 'getting' a kids to ditch their responsibilities. First find out what the problem really is and address that.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick H.
Canada
Pierrefonds
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your pastor probably thinks you'll get a demon from playing evil, satanic games like 'Race For The Galaxy'. devil

You should stick to wholesome games like 'Life', 'Sorry', or 'Candyland'.


Or you could stop wasting your time going to a place run by a a bunch of close-minded, superstitious zealots.


84 
 Thumb up
1.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Reed
United States
Mount Holly
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definately approach the Pastor about this matter!

Explain it to her in the exact same way you explained it to us. Find out why she was so upset over it. I'm sure it wasn't the "game" itself.

If you can work it out, I'm sure you could even talk the Pastor into scheduling specific times you could play games there at the church.

(If all else fails, come to my church. I host a family game night there once a month! It would only be a short flight out here!)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
quardlepleen wrote:
Your pastor probably thinks you'll get a demon from playing evil, satanic games like 'Race For The Galaxy'. devil

You should stick to wholesome games like 'Life', 'Sorry', or 'Candyland'.


Or you could stop wasting your time going to a place run by a a bunch of close-minded, superstitious zealots.



Whoa, jump to conclusions much?
61 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SeeKay
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

the place is a house of worship. gaming isnt quite that. while i dont necessarily agree with that i do think you should respect your pastor's feelings on this matter. i was scolded as a kid for playing cards (not gambling) after sunday school, and, while indignant at the time, in retrospect i understand the reasoning.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But there's a basketball court next to the structure as well. Why would one activity would be looked down then the other? One is about physical ability, the other, a mental exercise. If there is a reason, I'd like to see it, unless it comes down to, "because I said so."
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Vote with your feet; find a different church.
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a pastor. When we have our Youth Group twice a month, we have a service, then we have Bible Study. Then most often we game. You should join my church.
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like she thought you'd dragged the guy away from his church service to play a card game.

Not sure I understand the situation fully - was there a totally separate service going on and you weren't invited and so you started playing cards in an adjacent room or hall? Or did you just not want to go? Either way, playing a card game during a service probably isn't the way to go, despite the pastor's over reaction.

Years ago I was once on projector duty (putting the words of the worship song up on the overhead) and was so engrossed in my Dragonlance novel, I didn't notice the song was over. I looked up and the whole church was looking at me! I wished I was reading CS Lewis or Pilgrim's Progress instead. D&D was anathema at the time.

I decided to leave the fantasy novels for after the service.


14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SeeKay
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:
But there's a basketball court next to the structure as well. Why would one activity would be looked down then the other? One is about physical ability, the other, a mental exercise. If there is a reason, I'd like to see it, unless it comes down to, "because I said so."


yeah i pretty much disagree with that too. i think the modern us christian church has lost its way as a house of worship and fellowship to become some kind of exclusive private country club
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why post this until you have talked to the pastor - or anyone else, for that matter, that has a dispute with you - first?

You have no idea what upset her: it could be the youth "ditching," the fact that there was an unscheduled event in the building, or she really thinks games are bad. But you won't know until you ask her. And she won't know about the games until you tell her.

If you find out the reason and then want to talk about what to do, that would be more appropriate. Instead, you need to follow Matthew 18:15-17.
56 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its partially because public clubs are getting smaller and smaller. For example, I'm a dancer and here in Cambridge, the city has shut down the two biggest dance floors in town (One to build a kids center, the other I'm not sure why). Many dancers have turned to the church, just because they have one of the few remaining big spaces available.

In Cambridge, we don't have a basketball court shortage, but I can easily see somewhere that does, and the church taking over the vacancy. Sad, really.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SeeKay
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
Its partially because public clubs are getting smaller and smaller. For example, I'm a dancer and here in Cambridge, the city has shut down the two biggest dance floors in town (One to build a kids center, the other I'm not sure why). Many dancers have turned to the church, just because they have one of the few remaining big spaces available.

In Cambridge, we don't have a basketball court shortage, but I can easily see somewhere that does, and the church taking over the vacancy. Sad, really.


yeah i pretty much have the same gripe about the decline of public spaces and resources in the US too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure I understand the whole story here as you say"The church was having a service for high school kids which you were not part of and your friends also were not part of it either because they are in college".So it seems that you must be in college and your friends are to but it makes me wonder why did you show up at the church for a service that you did not plan to attend.Did you just show up with your friends cause you knew the church doors would be open and it seemed like a good idea to use another part of the church for some gaming?If that is the case it would seem in poor taste for me to show up at church when another function is going on that I am not part of and use other parts of the church as my own space.Maybe that is why the pastor said you were a bad example.It could also have something to do with the kid who was suppose to be at the service for the high schoolers joining your game which i understand you were unaware that he was suppose to be at the service.The pastor my have felt that you were trying to draw kids away from what they were suppose to be there for.I know if I walked into church on sunday morning and I looked into a usually vacant room and saw race for the galaxy being played and someone invited me to join in it would be pretty tempting.Of course my pastor would have scolded the guy who brought the game there as well I would imagine.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quardlepleen wrote:
Your pastor probably thinks you'll get a demon from playing evil, satanic games like 'Race For The Galaxy'. devil

You should stick to wholesome games like 'Life', 'Sorry', or 'Candyland'.


Or you could stop wasting your time going to a place run by a a bunch of close-minded, superstitious zealots.




Please, PLEASE leave your can of worms at home. They're not welcome here. YOU are welcome here, but not those worms.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Have you spoken with the Pastor before? In order to build some sort of repore?

As you said, it might not have been the game itself, but you 'getting' a kids to ditch their responsibilities. First find out what the problem really is and address that.


How is it that a kid of high school age is not allowed to choose for oneself if he/she wants to attend a service or not?

I think the pastor in question may have another problem and is projecting it on your game or perhaps just finding a convenient scape goat. Too bad, I suggest you take your gaming to another friendlier venue.

If you're comfortable with the thought, I'd suggest you take it up with her, and perhaps you can sort it all out in a friendly fashion with the pastor. Best of luck.

/kgm
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Thomi
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Why post this until you have talked to the pastor - or anyone else, for that matter, that has a dispute with you - first?

You have no idea what upset her: it could be the youth "ditching," the fact that there was an unscheduled event in the building, or she really thinks games are bad. But you won't know until you ask her. And she won't know about the games until you tell her.

If you find out the reason and then want to talk about what to do, that would be more appropriate. Instead, you need to follow Matthew 18:15-17.


A Brother Who Sins Against You
15"If your brother sins against you,[a] go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.'17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

I don't mean to stir things up, but to me it sounds like he wanted to tell it to the church, in this case represented by the pastor, but she didn't let him. The impression that I got was that she was storming to conclusions instead of showing any will to hear an explanation. So now he is taking along others virtually. I know how much of a social impact the church has abroad (as compared to here) and even more so I think it is important for a leader of such a community to go ahead with a good example (sorry I translated literally, but I think you get what I mean). Imho it is her who should seek the conversation, she should have listened in the first place. If what I read here is all there is to the story there's an apology due.
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
quardlepleen wrote:
Your pastor probably thinks you'll get a demon from playing evil, satanic games like 'Race For The Galaxy'. devil

You should stick to wholesome games like 'Life', 'Sorry', or 'Candyland'.


Or you could stop wasting your time going to a place run by a a bunch of close-minded, superstitious zealots.




I flagged it. In light of other conversations, let's see what happens.

I'm curious to say the least.

Edit: Do note that this isn't just an experiment. I was truly offended and believe that this comment had no place in this forum or any other.
14 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Comments on this:
1. Female pastor? Some fundamentalist people would demand she get banned, because women aren't supposed to be pastors.
2. Games have been thought to be questionable throughout history, by some questions. If you look at a thread on a Christian gamers association idea, you see where a former Christian said that Christians shouldn't play games at all.
3. It could be the theme of Race that was the problem. See space ships, aliens, etc... and people resume it is a problem.
4. It is card-based. Some churches have taboos about cards in any form.
5. It is possible the pastor thought it was Magic: The Gathering.
6. It is Race for the Galaxy. Considering some of the reviews of the game, as that it is said to lack interactivity, people who dislike the game would think the pastor did the world a favor (yes, that is a joke).

Actually, rereading it, it sounded like you were playing the game during the church service, and the game caused a person who was supposed to be part of the service. If this is the case, it could of been anything that happened. I would hold off playing any games at all during a church service. You could of gotten into trouble also, if you had done something else, like watch videos and so on.

Anyhow, the best thing to do is ask the pastor exactly what the problem is with the game. Maybe you can find out what exactly is acceptable, and the story.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Tonkin
United States
Smyrna
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quardlepleen wrote:
Your pastor probably thinks you'll get a demon from playing evil, satanic games like 'Race For The Galaxy'. devil

You should stick to wholesome games like 'Life', 'Sorry', or 'Candyland'.


Or you could stop wasting your time going to a place run by a a bunch of close-minded, superstitious zealots.


I'm going to go with this. Games are the Devil, Bobby Boucher. devil
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
1. Female pastor? Some fundamentalist people would demand she get banned, because women aren't supposed to be pastors.


I had the same thought. Your church is not exactly mainstream, so this is either a misunderstanding (which you can correct), or it's...well it's probably just a misunderstanding. Go talk to her.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the bored gamer wrote:
Imho it is her who should seek the conversation, she should have listened in the first place. If what I read here is all there is to the story there's an apology due.


I agree she should have listened in the first place, but as mentioned before, we don't know her side of the story, either. She is a pastor and pastors are often called to higher standard, but they are still human and make mistakes and get frustrated. So, as many have mentioned, it is best to speak with her, just as mentioned in the Bible reference by ColtsFan76. It probably should have been the first place to go or to an Elder to speak privately instead of posting in such a public place.

I'm not sure, but you may desire to actually delete the thread because it should first be a private matter between the pastor and you and your group and maybe a mentor or elder at the church. Just my opinion.

Churches have enough grudges as it is because we feel we are supposed to be seen as being righteous, whereas this feeling actually harms the church and does not allow for righting relationships between us, but hiding things and Keeping Up Appearances. This goes with the reference Matthew 5:23-24. [/q]
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cox
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
I bought this Overtext just to say I have an UberBadge and I'm not using it
badge
Dance like no one is trying to sleep in the next room
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he saw cards and assumed you guys were gambling
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.