Subject: Fore Par Table Golf by World Wide Games Inc. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1982, Fore Par Table Golf by World Wide Games Inc. was one of the Games 100. When I went to update 1982's page, I noticed that the game link pointed to Bumper Golf. So far, so good, since the picture in Games Magazine looks like the pictures in the image gallery (except it looks like they upgraded the color scheme).

However, Fore Par Table Golf is not listed under "Other names" for that game. Even that's not really a problem, since it should be easy enough to submit it as a correction.

When you look at the publisher, that's when it gets tangled. The publisher of Bumper Golf is listed as S&S Worldwide Inc (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/publisher/2609). When you go to the web site linked on the publisher's page, it looks like the so-called publisher is really just a retailer (originally mail order, now with a web site). This is the only game ostensibly published by this company.

There is a World Wide Games, Inc. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/publisher/6209), and that's where the Games 100 entry currently links, but that's a generic enough name that I have to wonder if that's necessarily the same company. That company is also listed with only one game to its credit, but not this one.

Finally, Bumper Golf is listed with a first-published date of 1998, which clearly isn't consistent with it being named to the Games 100 in 1982.

So, what to do, what to do? Tracking down this problem seems to be a bigger job than matching the Games 100 list to the magazine. I guess there's two questions:

* What do we do with this particular case?
* Is there a way we can flag these situations for later research, rather than derail our work on updating the wiki every time we stumble across one of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Roselli
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Long time coming, but I saw this on a search and I've attempted to fix the matter.

World Wide Games, Inc. was a real table game publisher in the 70's and 80's and was bought by S&S Worldwide circa 1989-1990 or so. I submitted Fore Par Table Golf today as it's own game, and I have pictures of a board that I will upload once approved.

Bumper Golf was later released as a game by S&S Worldwide. It has updated artwork and looks very different, but it's essentially the same type of game.

Once Fore Par is added, the 1982 List can be edited to link to the correct game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.