Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This review is based on one game solo and one game with my wife; time will tell whether anything written here changes substantively.

Cube Farm is a tile-laying game with a neat little premise behind it: in designing a new office, you want the employees who work for you as close as possible to the good stuff (i.e., things that can be used for work avoidance), while putting your opponents as close as possible to the bad stuff (i.e., folks who will make certain they're being productive). The primary constraint is that each placed employee must have a clear walking path to the elevator.

Most of the cubicles drawn on the tiles have three walls defined, but occasionally there are cubes with only two walls. These can be linked to other cubes with two or three walls to form a larger office, worth more points. In addition, things like the supply cabinet, photocopier, water cooler, and candy machine all score bonus points for a cube that's close enough, while the receptionist and vice president incur a penalty for being located nearby.

Our chief frustration last night was a couple of ambiguities in the rules regarding what constitutes a legal tile placement. It is never made clear whether a tile can be placed to form a cube with no entrances, and the rule about the receptionist or VP not needing a clear path to the elevator doesn't address the scenario of whether they can be completely closed in. In addition, it's not clear whether a penalty is incurred by being able to get to just outside a penalty cube in the specified number of steps, or whether you must be able to enter the penalty cube before the negative is incurred.

I think that the game has some overall promise, but I'm not sure when I'll next be able to play. No numerical rating, for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitas Povilaitis
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:Quick Comments
I think you're trying to make this game more than it is. Cube Farm is a simple abstract game with an office cubicle theme on it.

I think it's perfectly legitimate to box stuff into a cubicle with no way out.

Just like scoring good stuff, you have to be able to enter the square with the stuff to score it. After all, only player expand to fill larger cubicles, but stuff doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.