Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Pease
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a recent vacation I took along the game Knights to play with my 7 and nearly 5 year old boys. They enjoyed the game greatly, and we played several games in a row.

A cool bonus is that the game includes 5 blank cards with the standard Knights logo backing and front printed area so that you can add your own variants to the game. This is a great feature that more games should emulate when they have room for extra cards.

My 7 year old snapped up the sharpies and set to work designing new cards that would both work with the game, and be "balanced" with the overall design. He came up with these by himself:

From left to right we have:

The 5 Horse - an extra 5 die for use in tournaments only
The Drawbridge - an extra 5 die when defending against player to player sieges (a counter to Schacht's catapult)
The Flipper - if your opponent buries a card by sending it to the bottom of the pile, this card will allow you to bring the bottom card back up
The Dreaded 6 - perhaps a bit of a gamebreaker, it allows the use of rolled 6s in all combats... He explained that this card is so difficult to get (requiring four 5's) that it should be ok. When this card came up in games, the kids got really excited...
The Red Castle - this one is from my 4 year old; he always played this card as his starting castle

Bravo to Mr. Schacht and to Rio Grande Games for including these cards and tapping into the creativity of my Jr. game designers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story Scott, thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, those are some genuinely nifty ideas! Congrats to your son for some great cards!

I think I might have to add the Drawbridge myself. I really like that one.

The Flipper is a really creative idea. Do you use it on your turn instead of sending a card to the bottom?

And, yes, it is probably overpowered, but I just love the name of The Dreaded 6! =) Kudos for him recognizing that it really needed the four 5s rating to be plausible.

Congrats again! You must be a most proud father, even if you can't keep the age of the younger one straight. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pease
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the flipper (entirely his idea) allows you to use it once per turn to bring the bottom card of one of the piles to the top, instead of taking the top card and putting it on the bottom. I loved this idea.

>Congrats again! You must be a most proud father, even if you can't keep the age of the younger one straight. =)

Heh - good catch. He was 4 when we played, but turns 5 this weekend - I guess that's what happens when you wait so long to post - your kids actually age in the meantime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.