Subject: I pimped my game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow I missed this game when it originally came out(actually I think I was in high school by then). Being an Ameritrasher at heart, I was very interested especially with all the good nostalgic reviews so I had been keeping my eye out for a "deal" on this game.
Yeah Right- as everyone reading this probably knows, a "deal" on this game is usually anything under $100...
So after many thrift store trips and auction watching I had pretty much given up hope.
Then I saw the thread about the guy that hand sculpted the entire board and all the pieces, and I was inspired... except that I had never even seen the actual board in person and didn't know where to even begin.

Then finally, a lead. An auction that was only the box and the board and the cards....and I won it for $10 plus $9 shipping. YES!

I was excited. I figured the marbles and dice would be no problem. I could find some minis for the little guys, and some kind of gem. Maybe fab up the bridges and "tokens" somehow. But that big Tiki Head....no idea.
So it showed up and I finally got a first hand look at my grail and while in great shape, was pretty underwhelmed by the board graphics. I know it was the eighties but still I guess I had built it up in my mind after all this time. However after raiding the kids marble jar and rolling some "fireballs" I had to admit it was pretty fun.

The first stop was "Hobby Lobby" and I got a little bag of craft wood for the bridges. I found a cool little gem, and I got some wood "tokens". Then Jackpot, a bag of "Old West" minis that were the right scale! As far as the Tiki Head, I was thinking of some kind of styrofoam that could carve and coat with something and paint...but that part seemed pretty overwhelming especially since its a key component to the game.
I got to work and the kids were very intrigued with everything. As I was working, my wife even commented about it. I explained my problem with the "Head", and she suggested Sculpy. I thought yeah right. Have you seen my "pottery"? Theres a reason. Anyway, she, being the very crafty type, offered to give it a try. As you can see below the result was AMAZING!

I was inspired! I sacrificed part of a second set of Heroscape Jungle terrrain in a few places to "spruce up" the board. I picked out some good "guys" from the old west to be the "explorers", replacing the hunting rifles and fishing poles for picks and shovels. Then my girls stated that at least two of the "guys" needed to be females. Ohh Kay... So I tried to sand the beards off two of them and glued on some pig tails and a pony tail respectively, literally from two pigs and a pony that were in the set.

Here's where I started to get a little crazy. That little boat that you're supposed to get to with the jewel was just pathetic. So I made a boat that you can really get in with your jewel and ride away into the sunset with.

I didn't like the "ruins" where you pick up the tokens. It didn't look like ruins to me. So I got some left over Hirst Arts castings and made proper ruins...

I made a liitle camp on the start space....I don't know why.

The little beach wreck graphics on the other side of the board didn't look good with all this other stuff now so I took a couple leftover zombies...

Then that other corner looked boring so I made a little scene just to spruce things up some...

Having done enough damage, I stopped there so we could actually play it! It was a hit, and a lot of fun to put together. The only problem now is it doesn't fit in the box anymore.

The moral of the story here is, Don't give up hope finding your grail. Even if it's not in the condition you were hoping for...

• [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
Death and the dice level all distinctions.
badge
And so it goes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Insane!

Also, creative and interesting. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great, but where is the high-quality overhead view?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's great, but where is the high-quality overhead view?

Thanks for the kind words, and here's the overhead I forgot in the original story...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Fanwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is simply amazing...great job. I loved this game as a kid, and I cry myself to sleep when I remember that my parents ended up throwing it out when I moved out for college. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for it as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the forest pieces. Great job on a great childhood classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing makes me happier than a Fireball Island story. thanks for posting!

Being in the minority, I still have my original 1987 game with all the pieces and box and everything still intact, and I still play it. and you are all welcome to come over anytime to play

there's some pretty cool dice you may want to get with a skull for a one .. at troll&toad I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Dexter
United States
Lynn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leungd wrote:
That is simply amazing...great job. I loved this game as a kid, and I cry myself to sleep when I remember that my parents ended up throwing it out when I moved out for college. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for it as well...

I went to dig mine out of a basemnet closet at my parent's house only to find it was near the floor where they've had water come in. I think the box and board are moldy beyond saving but I'm going to see if I can save any of the parts since I know someone would probably like them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.