Popular Tags: [View All]
Emanuele Ornella
France
Dijon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first thought to Byzanz it was during summer vacation.
I played a lot of Coloretto and I wanted to start to think to a easy card game instead of a complex fully board game.
So I started to play to the idea to have only cards, and I started to
think to my Oltre Mare game who had cards.
So I started to think it terms of cards with goods that is the reason why I had called it at first glance Oltre Mare card game. The similarity with Oltre Mare are all here. Byzanz is a different game where the main mechanism is the auction. The tricky idea here is to use the same cards for both winning the auctions and awarding victory points.
The game was playtested and then presented to a couple of German
publisher. One, who rejected the game, suggested me to have the game for
up to 6 players, so I developed it to suite even 6 players.
Then Amigo played it and decided to publish.
I like so much the artwork and the new name of the game was a surprise
even to me :-)
Of course do not expect as much complexity as in Hermagor or Il Principe.
It's more a good filler with an original auction mechanism.

Have fun!
Emanuele
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Emanuele. Your thoughts are very appreciated. I love hearing about the thought and process involved in making a game and how the design has changed over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Emanuele! Thanks for this good game! We played it again tonight and think it works very well with six players! Thanks for stretching it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Ornella
France
Dijon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you John and Steven,
I am happy you like it and have fun :-D

Cheers,
ema
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Guest
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Thanks Emanuele,

I really like the game and do my best to introduce it at our games cafe here in HK where I work - in fact I introduced it last night to a group of 6 and they seemed to like it. I think the big plus about the 6 player set up is that there's only 4 rounds and the only feedback I get is that if you are successful in your first bid, there's quite a bit of downtime while you wait for the others to sort out the order - but I "sell" that aspect by saying they can have a rest for this round and its not that bad. I've found it better with 4 and 5 people and then, of course, the downtime is less, so I guess its swings and roundabouts. But I still like the game and will keep on introducing it when i get the opportunity

John
HK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.