$10.00
Chris Crowder
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This expansion (how could you meaningfully play it alone, really?) added two giant monsters to the main Crossbows and Catapults line. I was pretty excited to pick these up (kid at the time), but their weaknesses quickly became apparent. The Cyclops overpowered the Minotaur completely: whereas the Cyclops actually has a hope of knocking something down with its spring-loaded arms, the Minotaur's backward lean and release results in little more than tumbling its ammuniton off its head to land pitifully at its feet. This would have been a far more useful expansion if they had either offered two identical monsters, or at least designed them to fire the carom the same way. As it was, my friends and I had to immediately dismiss using them as opposing weapons.

If that wasn't bad enough, these giants also proved to be of low durability. The thin plastic of the Cyclops meant he wasn't long for this world - one long drop onto a concrete basement floor and he'd had it, completely irrepairable. The surviving Minotaur was pulled back too far one day later on, and the upper part of his body caught on the lip of the lower, requiring delicate manual intervention. After that he was susceptible to this problem on a regular basis, so he was reduced to becoming simply a target worth points if struck, standing at the mercy of opposing catapult and crossbow fire.

Any adult would have declared these toys as junk on sight. As a kid they at least projected an aura of fantasy, and powered some imaginative sessions despite their drawbacks for as long as they lasted. In spite of it all, I have fond memories of these guys.

My Rating: 6/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two pairs of these, both in good repair.
While maybe not child durable, a responsible child could keep them in good repair with little difficulty.

Definitely less fragile than the battering ram.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the dragon was alot better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Crowder
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the only expansion I ever laid eyes on in stores, thus the only one I ever acquired. At the time I could only dream and sigh over pictures of the dragon, ram, outposts, etc.

We weren't satisfied with putting the castles within two or three feet of each other; we'd have one in the basement, one upstairs, and the whole house became our battle ground. It's a wonder anything from the game survived. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Spoons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
got to agree with the review mainly.

All I would add is that we used to help the minotaur with a little jerk of the wrist when he fired. The odd thing is that this then made him slightly more accurate than the cyclops, though still not as powerfull.
Mine are both in good repair though I did have the minotaur-waist problem as per the review but managed to fix it rather well.

They do look fantastic on the c&c battlefield though.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azwris azwriou
Greece
flag msg tools
First post here. I have both as well broken but almost repaired. Minotaur is still able to throw the carom but it doesn't lock so I have to use it without the button . Cyclops is just for the looks. If anyone wants to sell a working one I'll be looking forwards to it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Aidonis
msg tools
Cecrow wrote:
This expansion (how could you meaningfully play it alone, really?) added two giant monsters to the main Crossbows and Catapults line. I was pretty excited to pick these up (kid at the time), but their weaknesses quickly became apparent. The Cyclops overpowered the Minotaur completely: whereas the Cyclops actually has a hope of knocking something down with its spring-loaded arms, the Minotaur's backward lean and release results in little more than tumbling its ammuniton off its head to land pitifully at its feet. This would have been a far more useful expansion if they had either offered two identical monsters, or at least designed them to fire the carom the same way. As it was, my friends and I had to immediately dismiss using them as opposing weapons.

If that wasn't bad enough, these giants also proved to be of low durability. The thin plastic of the Cyclops meant he wasn't long for this world - one long drop onto a concrete basement floor and he'd had it, completely irrepairable. The surviving Minotaur was pulled back too far one day later on, and the upper part of his body caught on the lip of the lower, requiring delicate manual intervention. After that he was susceptible to this problem on a regular basis, so he was reduced to becoming simply a target worth points if struck, standing at the mercy of opposing catapult and crossbow fire.

Any adult would have declared these toys as junk on sight. As a kid they at least projected an aura of fantasy, and powered some imaginative sessions despite their drawbacks for as long as they lasted. In spite of it all, I have fond memories of these guys.

My Rating: 6/10

So the Minotaur is weaker by default?I got them both from ebay.Cyclop is shooting fine but the Minotaur is shooting the carom 20 to 30cm max...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.