Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason McMurray
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
It has been a while getting to this, but I hope to share what we experienced with the advanced game.

The basic mechanics are the same, but now there is the added portion of indirect fire and morale.

Indirect fire was beautiful. It deviated realistically. Also, smoke rounds are cool.

The ammo limit rule is nice for the rarer ammunition. At first it seemed a little wonky, you roll, and if you fail, that shot doesn't work. You count as having fired, but there is no damage done. You are not necessarily out of it for the rest of the game, but you just wasted a shot. Some specialty ammo has a number of 4, so if you roll a 1-3 the shot works, on a 4-10 it doesn't. It makes the decision making more important (sometimes you just need that higher penetrating shot).

Rising and falling shots are nicely done, with a bonus or negative to the armor value. Let me tell you, T-34s on a hill can do a pretty nasty number to a Panther's top armor (ask the four burning hulks that we had after one round of shots).

Morale was nice. Each formation has a number of casualties that it can absorb before it has to take a check. The Soviets have a better number to roll, but start taking checks sooner. When you reach that break point, you make a check when you want to change location, take on fire, and several other situations.

There is more than all this, but I want to play a bit more before I get into more detail. This game has a lot to offer.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alphawolf74 wrote:
The ammo limit rule is nice for the rarer ammunition. At first it seemed a little wonky, you roll, and if you fail, that shot doesn't work. You count as having fired, but there is no damage done. You are not necessarily out of it for the rest of the game, but you just wasted a shot. Some specialty ammo has a number of 4, so if you roll a 1-3 the shot works, on a 4-10 it doesn't. It makes the decision making more important (sometimes you just need that higher penetrating shot).

If I understand your description, it seems silly to me. If you have the ammo in the tank, you ought to know it. If you're out of special ammo and facing a heavily armored opponent, experienced crews should be high-tailing it out of range.

What I'd suggest is something like you roll for ammo depletion after resolving the hit with that vehicle. If you roll the out-of-ammo numbers, you discover that you don't have any more shots available. Mark that vehicle as being out of special ammo, and continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
alphawolf74 wrote:

The actual text of the ammo limit rules indicate that the shot misfired. Optional rule 20.2 expands on the ammo limit rules enabling a player to utilize regular AP ammo if they fail to roll for the specialty ammo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McMurray
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry about the confusion. I said the shot didn't work instead of misfired. I didn't say you were out of ammo, so the feel is there. I like the way this works, as an ammo depletion record makes things a bit too controllable (a misfire is much more jarring, and real. After all, sometimes the crew loaded special ammo only for it to misfire.) Also, it only applies to special ammo, so the tanks are not necessarily going to turn tail, and with the ability to still do a regular AP shot, they can still go for a shot. A lot of times your AP will be good if you hit the right area and your special ammo is more of a guarantee if it works (AP of say 8 vs. turret of 9 and hull of 8 or special ammo AP of say 10 guarantees no matter where it contacts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.