Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the pictures i have seen so far the support blocks aren't made of wood. What material is this? Foam?

I expected the support blocks to be made of some solid material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have sworn I heard on a podcast that the blocks were made of foam.

The picture sure looks like Styrofoam. It seems like this expansion should be fairly easy to make if you have access to a table saw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
I could have sworn I heard on a podcast that the blocks were made of foam.

This means two things:

1. The supports will be very lightweight - how are they supposed to keep the elevated track in place without tumbling down with the slightest push?

2. They can get damaged easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From one of the designers over at BGN...

> So what materials are the supports made of?

We use polystyrene (a very hard one, not easily friable) .

> is there a weight estimate on the expansion?

~ 1,2 kg.

I'm sure they must have been tested for stablity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine that the joints themselves are pretty important, but there's nothing stopping you from using block of wood (or ANY materials for that matter) to keep the tracks elevated. Especially if you want something less obtrusive, something that won't block the track as much, as in the pic above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing the picture of the supporting blocks and tracks i am really disappointed:

The supporting blocks are made of foam which is very light and prone to damage.

The angled tracks do not snap in place, they just rest on the wooden blocks.

I light push of the elevated track will result in the whole thing going down! I think that i'll pass on this expansion as i expected something much more stable considering that 6-8 people will move constantly around the track flicking their cars...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. That's styrofoam that you could get...anywhere. They could have at least coated it with something. Look on the bright side though. If it gets damaged, it'd be easy to replace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that looks like job for the chopsaw. I bet I could even manufacture the rest of the pieces in there with a quick jig on the tablesaw and a spare copy of the base game for the track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:
If it gets damaged, it'd be easy to replace.

Not so easy because if you make a custom supporting block with even 1-2mm difference in height the track will not lay completely flat.

For 35€ it should contain wooden supports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...those support blocks look cheap...luckily I have a friend with power tools and woodworking skills to make blocks for me. Advantage is that he can make more than the amount of styro blocks in this expansion, to allow for a longer 2nd tier. Plus it does come with the transition pieces. Still...pretty expensive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Kilmer
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really not as bad as all that. I set up a reasonably large track on my table and my 8 daughter and I were able to play several games with no more track bumping mishaps than normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.