Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this mini review of Donkey Kong Jenga on Kotaku's website.
http://kotaku.com/5069278/hands-on-with-jenga-donkey-kong-co...

Its got a nice range of pictures too.
Below is the text from the link.

By Brian Crecente of www.kotaku.com/

Jenga Donkey Kong Collector’s Edition is essentially the wood stacking game painted black with a new set of rules. The version comes with a pile of rectangular blocks painted black with red girders painted on two sides of each block. There are also three holes drilled into each rectangle. The game also comes with four plastic Mario pieces, a plastic piece featuring Donkey Kong and Pauline and a little cardboard spinner.

You can play the game with normal Jenga rules, pulling out a piece of wood to replace at the top of the stack until someone knocks it over, or with the new DK rules. The Donkey Kong rules add enough of a twist to the classic game to make it bit more fun and of course, what with the neato pixel graphics, quite a bit more nostalgic.

The new rules have you place a peg-backed Mario piece into a hole of one of the bottom Jenga pieces. Once everyone has placed their Marios you take turns flicking the spinner. The spinner tells you how many girders to move as you make your way up and around the Jenga tower. It also tells you how many girders you have to slide out of the stack and place back on top. Removing and replacing the pieces is just like classic Jenga, except you have to remove and replace the Donkey Kong piece as well, making sure he and Pauline are always at the highest point of the tower. The spinner tells you to move zero to three spaces and to remove zero to three pieces.

To win you have to either move your Mario to the top of the tower, or be the highest Mario on the tower when someone else knocks the tower down. Fairly simple, but quite a bit of fun.

We played the game two or three times last night and really enjoyed it. The only problem we had with the game is that the plastic pieces were a bit wonky. The pegs on the backs of the Mario sometimes didn’t slide into the Jenga holes, which makes the game near impossible to play until you’ve worn the game in. Also the spinner didn’t really spin, but again that got better with use.

I’m a big fan of classic video games and I happen to love Jenga, so this would be a must by for me. With the holidays nearing I’d say it probably should make some wish lists if you’re a fan of either the video or table top game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the review. We're about due for another Jenga set in our house and I thought about grabbing this one to be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dur Tahar
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in this same boat, since I haven't owned Jenga myself for a long time and have only been playing it with a friend who owns it. I saw something about this coming out a while back and forgot about it until I saw it in a store today, but I bought it immediately. It's fantastic, it can easily be played as an interesting looking version of regular Jenga, but the added rules are fantastic. They add a lot to the game. The only issue I have is that the holes aren't all big enough (making it pretty much impossible to put Mario into some the holes) and the Donkey Kong piece popped out of its base immediately, but this was easily fixed so it's not a real issue. If you were to file down the edges of the Mario pieces, then I'd say that would fix the remaining problem with the game. But, overall, I'm incredibly happy with this. The Donkey Kong theme even got my brother to play it, and he almost always passes on offers to play any sort of board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Evans
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
Gaming, Strategizing, Trading; This is what's best in life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with this review (mostly). The game is well-painted and really is fun for fans of the Donkey Kong arcade game. However, I don't find it quite as fun as straight Jenga with a good set of plain wooden Jenga blocks.

The painted blocks that come with this version are more slippery than the original and the tower, when initially set up does not sit as solidly.
This means that games don't generally seem to last as long before the tower falls over.

Lastly, the production quality on the drilled holes that Mario fits into are not drilled well and/or are painted over. Some of the holes are off-center. Allot of this can be fixed with a drill or dremmel tool.

The game adds and different kind of fun and complexity to the strait version. I prefer the strait version for gaming, but I love the Donkey Kong Motive. If you can live with the production flaws, and slippery blocks, buy it. If you aren't a particular fan of Donkey Kong, get the original.

Thanks for the review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Hutchinson
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I just tried this one out last night and I had the same problem with the holes. Mario fits in very few of them. So I took a small phillips screwdriver and jammed it into each hole of each "girder" now it works fine.

You shouldn't have to "fix" a new game to get it to work. But that aside, it's a fun variation on Jenga.

And it looks awesome. Even the box looks cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.