Recommend
260 
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Humor on the Agricola card artwork (includes comparison pictures) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cards [+] comparison [+] fav [+] ag [+] [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several of the Agricola cards show caricatures of famous people, or give clever references to other games. Some examples:

1. The Beanfield features artwork reminiscent of Uwe Rosenberg's game Bohnanza.



2. The Quarry and Stone Carrier feature Obelix.



3. The Dock Worker features Klaus Teuber (Settlers of Catan designer), and the card text reflects the trading mechanics for harbours in Settlers.



4. The Net Fisherman ("Netzer" in German) features Gunter Netzer, a former soccer player and German TV commentator.



5. The Basin Maker ("Beckenbauer" in German) features Franz Beckenbauer, former soccer coach of Bayern München and of the 1990 World Cup winning national German team.



Are there other cards that fit into this category?

Edit: If you enjoyed the inside jokes in Agricola, you might enjoy reading about some of the inside jokes for gamers in other games, as documented in this GeekList:

Games with Inside Jokes for Gamers: A Definitive Pictorial List

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/35957
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I had noticed that the Field Warden had a striking resemblance to Kay from Disney's Sword in the Stone.


I didn't feel like getting my camera out and taking a picture of the card, so I got the image from BeyondMonopoly's paste-ups.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory there's around a dozen with images based on real people or fictitious characters. I seem to recall that Lookout Games ran a competition based on the images prior to the game's release at Essen 2007.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note the game rooms:


In the wood (and clay) house they play Bohnanza. In the stone house they play Agricola.
103 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
The Mets, after an eventful, but productive, trade deadline, find themselves on top of the NL East. Amazing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that Wolfgang Kramer is pictured on one of the cards. I'd have to go through my cards to remember which one it is.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
From memory there's around a dozen with images based on real people or fictitious characters. I seem to recall that Lookout Games ran a competition based on the images prior to the game's release at Essen 2007.

competition and solution (both german)
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
competition and solution (both german)

For those of you who dont speak German: these cards are:

Social Climber = Gaston, from the Beauty and the Beast
Manufacturer = Claude Frollo, from the Hunchback from the Notre Dame
Fisherman = Deagol, from The Lord of the Rings
Field Warden = Kay, from The Sword in the Stone
Forester = Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
Church Warden = Severus Snape, from the Harry Potter movies
Businessman = Al Pacino as Shylock in The Merchant of Venice
Storyteller = the Storyteller, from Jim Henson's The Storyteller
Chief's Daughter = Arya, from Eragon
Tutor = Obi Wan Kenobi
Hut Builder = the Builder from Carcassonne
Lord of the Manor ("Lehnsherr") = Ian McKellen as Magneto (Eric Lensherr), from the X-Men movies
Lover = Johnny Depp als Don Juan in Don Juan DeMarco
Stone Carrier = Obelix, from Asterix
Cabinetmaker = Woodworker from The Pillars of the Earth
73 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangerous game the artists are playing.

The Mouse takes copyright infringement very seriously.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
In the wood (and clay) house they play Bohnanza. In the stone house they play Agricola.


Presumably because Agricola is a lot more expensive?
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
The Mouse takes copyright infringement very seriously.

And that's indescribably depressing.
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Dangerous game the artists are playing.

The Mouse takes copyright infringement very seriously.

Using a a couple pictures from Disney movies among the hundreds of cards constitutes an homage, not a copyright violation. If a Disney picture were featured more prominently, that would be different.

For more info on Disney and copyright see also http://www.geckoandfly.com/2007/04/28/disney-plagarise-the-l... http://www.hemmy.net/2007/04/28/disney-lion-king-ripped-off-... http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/forums/show_msgs.php?to...
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:
In the wood (and clay) house they play Bohnanza. In the stone house they play Agricola.

Presumably because Agricola is a lot more expensive?

Uwe used to live in a wood house. Then he made so much money on Agricola that he moved into a stone house.
44 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I had one of the songs from Beauty in the Beast (the main song by Gascon) in my head all day and I couldn't work out why. Then I realised it had been triggered by the picture on Social Climber.

I am in no way giving legal advice, but the substantial part point in (UK) copyright law is not asking the question "is the potential copyright violation a substantial part of the work the violation occurs in (say Agricola, although that is likely not quite right)?" The question is "is the potential copyright violation a substantial part of the work the copyright subsists in (e.g, a given Disney film)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
The Mets, after an eventful, but productive, trade deadline, find themselves on top of the NL East. Amazing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Uwe used to live in a wood house. Then he made so much money on Agricola that he moved into a stone house.

And now the Big Bad Wolf can't blow it down. cool
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
EndersGame wrote:
5. The Basin Maker ("Beckenbauer" in German) features Franz Beckenbauer, former soccer coach of Bayern München and of the 1990 World Cup winning national German team.



My group had a discussion about whether they had eyeglasses in the 17th century.

The opinion was that they did have them, but they were extreme luxury items that an "Agricola" would never possess.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Agricola shows a wide variety of social classes. Within the same family you could have both a Serf and a Lord of the Manor- and the latter could possibly afford eyeglasses.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
The opinion was that they did have them, but they were extreme luxury items that an "Agricola" would never possess.

Glasses they had, and I can even see a man of modest means owning them. However the lenses were quite small and the frames looked nothing like that.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
My group had a discussion about whether they had eyeglasses in the 17th century.

The opinion was that they did have them, but they were extreme luxury items that an "Agricola" would never possess.

I believe they did, but they were more like the small glasses of the Storehouse Clerk (K 287) than like the large ones of the Basin Maker or the Clay Digger (I 230).

Speaking of the Clay Digger: according to the contest page mentioned above, the Clay Digger ("Gruber") represents Fritz Gruber. There are several people with that name, but most likely it is the press officer and developer at Kosmos (picture here).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
Speaking of the Clay Digger: according to the contest page mentioned above, the Clay Digger ("Gruber") represents Fritz Gruber. There are several people with that name, but most likely it is the press officer and developer at Kosmos (picture here).

Good addition - there definitely seems to be a likeness.

20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb

Great thread, very entertaining. Do any other ol' duffers remember the days of Avalon Hill's "Blitzkrieg," in which various terrain features were named after AH personnel?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Also note the game rooms:


In the wood (and clay) house they play Bohnanza. In the stone house they play Agricola.

Is it just me, or are the game boards upside down relative to the individual player boards (in the Stone House Agricola game)?

Edit: Actually, it appears that the board that contains Round squares 8-14 is on the wrong side. The rest looks correct.
33 
 Thumb up
5.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:
Also note the game rooms:


In the wood (and clay) house they play Bohnanza. In the stone house they play Agricola.

Is it just me, or are the game boards upside down relative to the individual player boards (in the Stone House Agricola game)?

Edit: Actually, it appears that the board that contains Round squares 8-14 is on the wrong side. The rest looks correct.


You rock my world.

This has to be the nerdiest thing I have ever read
44 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
You rock my world.

This has to be the nerdiest thing I have ever read

Indeed.

(runs away in shame)
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
melissa wrote:
You rock my world.

This has to be the nerdiest thing I have ever read

Indeed.

(runs away in shame)

Since when is nerdiness shameful? meeple
12 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
Desiderata wrote:
melissa wrote:
You rock my world.

This has to be the nerdiest thing I have ever read

Indeed.

(runs away in shame)

Since when is nerdiness shameful? meeple
Not around here, we prize nerdiness.
9 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.