Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Comment: An excellent abstracted two player war game based on an interesting historical event. And it's fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
"I fear threatening JC with a thumb boycott would be as effective as threatening Br'er Rabbit with the briar patch." (E. Brosius)
mbmbmbmbmb
The victory conditions seems to be incorrect here, as I understand them. From the video:

The Spanish player, to win, has to accomplish three things.
1: Survive (all his forces have to be around after 10 turns)
2: He must stop the french player from controlling the 4 districts at the gates
3: Must destroy at least 4 (or 3 in some cases) French cubes

The video suggests the Spanish player must accomplish all of these to win, but as I understand it, the Spanish player need only satisfy a single requirement to win. If they destroy 4 French cubes, they win. If, at the end of 10 turns, the French player does not control all of the gates, it is also a Spanish victory. In both cases, the Spanish side could be completely eliminated from the board but still win the game (like if the French slaughtered the last Spanish unit on the final turn and was not in a position to control all the city gates as a result.

Is this incorrect? (I haven't played the game yet, but I ordered it a week ago and have read the rules)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
The victory conditions seems to be incorrect here, as I understand them. From the video:

The Spanish player, to win, has to accomplish three things.
1: Survive (all his forces have to be around after 10 turns)
2: He must stop the french player from controlling the 4 districts at the gates
3: Must destroy at least 4 (or 3 in some cases) French cubes

The video suggests the Spanish player must accomplish all of these to win, but as I understand it, the Spanish player need only satisfy a single requirement to win. If they destroy 4 French cubes, they win. If, at the end of 10 turns, the French player does not control all of the gates, it is also a Spanish victory. In both cases, the Spanish side could be completely eliminated from the board but still win the game (like if the French slaughtered the last Spanish unit on the final turn and was not in a position to control all the city gates as a result.

Is this incorrect? (I haven't played the game yet, but I ordered it a week ago and have read the rules)

Actually the victory condition for the Spanish is very simple: To prevent a French Victory.

The French player needs to fulfill ALL the three following conditions by the end of the tenth turn:
-Eliminate all Spanish Forces on the board
-Control all four access gates (areas 1,6, 16 and 20)
-Not lose 4 cubes or more (could come down to 3 through events)

So the Spanish can basically win by ANY SINGLE ONE (or more) of the following:
-Eliminating 4 or more French cubes (3 with the correct number of cards)
-Avoiding the French control of any of the gates
-Having one unit survive by the end of turn 10

The rest of the review is correct, and is, in fact really well done. Thank you Tom! Very nice comments that are really appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
"I fear threatening JC with a thumb boycott would be as effective as threatening Br'er Rabbit with the briar patch." (E. Brosius)
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought, but your wording is much more clear.

Yes, the review is very good (as was the other video review I've seen by Dice Tower). Good work. I just keep getting more excited about this game every time I see more information about it. I can't wait for my copy to arrive from Espana!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this!

I've been getting very interested in this game from all the reading I've done on it. Thanks for showing it in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review Tom. I'm now regretting not buying this game at Spiel in Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job, Tom! This is now a Natus auto-buy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
Great review Tom. I'm now regretting not buying this game at Spiel in Essen.

You ought to! It cost me a frickin arm and a leg to get it shipped to Canada from Espana. :\

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
You ought to! It cost me a frickin arm and a leg to get it shipped to Canada from Espana. :\

Luckily both Sweden and Spain are in the EU, and shipping is generally pretty affordable within the EU.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.