Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just got the expansion and we have played it a few times, and I am starting to feel that the Yakuzas have the game stacked against them. Here are a few things I noticed that make it really hard for the Yakuza players to stay alive/win:

d10-1 The Yakuzas are the only people who can hit their own teammates and themselves without the effects of special powers. This probably doesn't happen much, but it is true that the Yakuzas can cause damage to their teammates with both weapons and can also cause damage to themselves if they are the last person standing so you can never take the pot by yourself.

d10-2 Hiding causes damages. Every two hides a Yakuza performs, they take a damage. This seems crazy since if it is the last couple of rounds and you have taken two damages, and have hid once you are just a sitting duck and if any player plays a bang on you are you are guaranteed to die. In addition, when playing with objects, this can be a really major disadvantage since the likelihood of dying goes up for everyone and hiding plays a more vital role in the game.

d10-3 All cards get revealed. The gangsters have a slight bonus in that even if their target hides when they play a Bang/BBB card, no one knows they played it and they can trick other players later. The Yakuzas on the other hand have all their cards revealed (unless they hide or get BBBed) since they always hit a target. This means that if people pay attention, they might know that you are obviously bluffing since you already played your three cards. This can happen for gangsters too, but it seems to happen a lot more to the Yakuzas.

d10-4 The Yakuzas make themselves a target. This is a little more subjective, but I think that since the Yakuzas target the same two people during the whole game, they really make themselves out to be targets whereas the gangsters might aim at a person a max of two or three, each Yakuza has to aim at someone at least 4 times.

d10-5 Most of the Yakuza powers suck. The geisha power is amazing and can really mess people up. The other three really kind of suck. The ninja power is decent in that you get to target new people, but the people you move to see that you chose them before they get to aim. I think the gangsters get much more variety and balance in their cards. Even the kamakaze seems like a weaker version of the grenade.

d10-6 BBB trump everything the Yakuzas have. This right here is killer. Basically if you are the Yakuza, you always have the losing side of a stand off with a gangster because if they drop that BBB card on you, you can't touch them. This can be especially bad if they get two BBBs with their special power.

All of that being said, I really enjoy the expansion and I am glad they have made it to include more people, plus the teams add a new flavor into the mix. I also like playing as the Yakuzas for a change of pace, but I never expect to win as them because they have quite a bit of a disadvantage. CnG is a very light hearted game and a small unbalance really doesn't change that much, but no one likes to start off with the game stacked against them. I think they really should have tried to balance the Yakuzas out more, and I hope they try to go that direction in future expansions. I would also be glad to hear and strategies people have come up with to counter these disadvantages.b
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Wretched Hive of Scum & Villainy? That's My House Mr!"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with all you have said. We played for the first time last night and I couldn't help but feel that the Yakuza had the least chance of winning. They don't really even get the simple strategy of choosing a target (if anyone ducks they've lost their strategy)! I also thought that using the throwing stars seemed far too difficult when the equivelent cards for the other players are the awesome and guaranteed-to-hit-a-standing-player Bang Bang Bang cards. They could have at least been given a couple of extra hit cards- would have made them feel much more threatening. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered the expansion and I have never played it but you did a great job of breaking down the problems it seems to have. It is more of a party game than a serious game, although I would prefer balance even in party games. You should post it as a review. Although I still would have bought it just to expand to 9 players. I recently picked up a second gun in the regular game (from the power) and that too makes you too big of a target to do much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess Newman
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you could be any more right. I got this game for Christmas from my girlfriend, because we love CnG so much, and we were really excited to play as the Yakuza. To our surprise, we found ourselves getting our asses kicked horribly. There is not even a single thing that the yakuza do as well as ANY gangster. They have NO guns, and only ONE ranged attack, and their tanto attacks can have them attacking their own teammate if you're unlucky.
We were also really excited for the shotgun addition, until we found out that it was a superpower card and was a 1 in 20 chance to get. As you can see, I feel like my girlfriend had her $44.95 stolen from her for an unbalanced, crappy expansion to an ok game. shake
I want to play this game again to figure out ways to balance it, because it seems to have too much promise not to.

As of now, the only thing I can think of is to give each Yakuza player two superpower cards instead of one, so that they have some semblance of balance in regards to the regular gangsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
Our gaming group feels pretty much the same about the yakuzas. You might want to take a look at my post about a few house rules to fix this: Make the Yakuzas stronger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.