Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
maks teper
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

My copy of the game had an invitation to RaceLine (browser-game) included. Today the beta tests started. I don't speak French, so can anybody tell me is the game free? I know there are some tracks, that you can play, but that's almost everything that I was able to translate...

Oh, and sorrry for my English .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Thomas
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to know this, as well. I have not signed up yet, but I recently purchased the game and noticed the French on the site.

Sorry for my English, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maks teper
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, English version will be available in 2009.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin fraser
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Confirmed, the website is only in French for now, they are working on the translation...mind you it will take a few weeks or months before you have it in your language!

Or maybe it's time to take some french course? it's a good thing i'm bilingual but not everyone is here! mostly french in the separatist LALA land of Quebec.

Martin

Had a good race today?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maks teper
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about French course, but I must finish German course first .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony T
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See, if they just would have printed the racerline flyer in french, i wouldn't have even bothered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I knew when in 2009.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to play this today. Even after translating the pages, I couldn't really figure out what to do. I'm also doubting how "free" this site really is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomzero wrote:
I tried to play this today. Even after translating the pages, I couldn't really figure out what to do. I'm also doubting how "free" this site really is.

Well, translating is a pain, but I'm pretty sure there's a free section, but to only a couple tracks. From what I see, you have to buy 10 track packs to play any more than the free ones.

I too wish for the english site to be online as I barely managed to get registered, let alone play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Still not in english. It looks like it will be limited free play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems you can do time trial all you want on all ten tracks, but you can do a "scoring" time trial only once for each track unless you pay. I don't know what the point of that is, really.

The multiplayer part is free, but I've only once seen a multiplayer game happening. In fact, I've never seen more than five or six people connected to the site at once (as reported on the front page). Also, it seems there's lots of connectivity issues with the game portion, leaving lots of people unable to connect consistently (according to the babel-fish-ized forums as well as my own experience).

RacerLine looks nice, but they've got stiff competition, it seems, as long as Formula De Online continues to work so well. I just played (and won!) a 3-lap race against some guys in Spain on FDO that worked great and was 100% completely free.

Still, the RacerLine graphics look great. I wonder what those tracks would be like on a table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, I just got in on several three-player races on RacerLine and it was OK.

The multiplayer function allows for only one-lap races after which everyone is kicked back to the lobby. There is no option for multi-lap races and, of course, no pit stops.

It uses only the basic rules (like FDe Mini) which is just a pile of life points, so no managing tires vs. brakes, etc. (yawn)

I suppose I could say it was "fun", but was still severely lacking compared to FDO. The tracks looks great, though...

...even on my table... ;·)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beasley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well 2009 is 25% gone and still no english site. Where is my high school french book??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They recently performed a slight update to the game. Now, you can choose a car in single-player mode and you can choose to spectate an in-progress multiplayer race (I don't know why I would do that).

One really annoying change they made is that now the upcoming corner flashes. The entire corner pulses light like some kind of radioactive waste site. Frankly, it looks stupid. Why would they do that? Do they think the player needs help knowing what corner is directly in front of them on the track?

I really like the design and art direction of the tracks; they play well, they are varied, and they look great. But, unfortunately, my crystal ball shows vague images of a fiery crash in the future of RacerLine. I hope I'm wrong because I'd like more of their tracks, but I don't see how they can continue to fund such a foot-dragging, semi-fun, boring-basic-rules-only-on-one-lap, not-as-good-as-FormulaDé-online thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Freelove
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I do hope they get things figured out. I still haven't got a confirmation e-mail to let me finish signing in to do anything with the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Stig
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's been over 6 months, I doubt they'll ever get around to it. :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have added three new tracks over the past several weeks or so, and they've tweaked parts of the game interface, but they don't seem to have done any improvements of real value.

You still can't do multi-lap races against others (or even solo), you can't use any advanced rules, and you can't race AI players. And, of course, there's no English-language mode.

I've still never seen more than 5 or 6 users online at once out of their 3000+ registrants. I suspect that they just never come back out of sheer disappointment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wu
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
And it's 2010. No english site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been completely dead for a number of weeks now. It could have been really cool...soblue

Those tracks are really cool, and they had just posted a few new ones, but I guess the whole thing is just gone now.

They really ought to try to print those tracks and sell them somehow, even if only as less-expensive rolled-up tracks or something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin fraser
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Racerline is officially dead, the founds offered by Asmodee stopped last fall.

From what I have from my anonymous contact, the website was suppose to be able to charge racers for using it, but as soon they let the word out, the players started to flee. Seeing this, Asmodee immediately stopped the founding to the website. The game was very popular when free!

And Mr. Ano Nymous has always been useful to me when in doubts.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This really sucks to see that racerline.com had gone down. I hadn't played it since late 2009... but I really wanted to go back to it tonight in anticipation of my actual copy of Formula D arriving in the mail soon. It's really too bad... was a great game online, amazing selection of tracks they had going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Norris

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does suck. If they had done it something like DoW I would have definatly played. That is be able to play it offline againest computers or online againest people for a modest price like 10 bucks. Also maybe some way to play for free. I am sure it would be popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcflyfraser wrote:
Racerline is officially dead, the founds offered by Asmodee stopped last fall.

From what I have from my anonymous contact, the website was suppose to be able to charge racers for using it, but as soon they let the word out, the players started to flee. Seeing this, Asmodee immediately stopped the founding to the website. The game was very popular when free!

And Mr. Ano Nymous has always been useful to me when in doubts.

Martin

what?! bummer! I was hoping to try out an English-language Formula D site. Any chance someone else can pick up the pieces and give it a shot? ask for donations? one time sign-up fee? advertisement on the site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Church
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd be willing to make a multiplayer, multi-lap iPhone/Web player/Standalone app for it, if I could have the rights. I talked to Stephane Brunelle from the board game side of the brand, but noone else has contacted me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Anderson
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@MikeChurch I would be interested in making a multi-player iOS / web based version as well. From what I have read in the forums here I am rather confident that we could make a similar game that did not infringe on the rights. I would suggest we make an HTML5 version that has backend we can synce up with iOS gamecenter. That way people can play each other on whatever device they choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.