$10.00
Y Kim
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CAVEAT: This is based on a thought experiment and I haven't played a 5 or 6 player game yet. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

I am wondering about the rule for the last bidder who will draw 1 card from the deck (to place it into the Byzantine Market), especially in the 5 or 6 player game. Wouldn't this result in the lack of cards in the draw deck at the final round?

Let's see the flow of a 6 player game:

1. 112 cards in total (96 goods cards + 16 dealer cards)

2. Remove 4. So 112 - 4 = 108

3. Deal 4 to each of 6 players. So 108 - (4 X 6) = 84 remaining in the draw deck

4. During the 1st round. 84 - (6+5+4+3+2+1) = 63 remaining in the draw deck

5. At the final moment of the 1st round, the last remaining bidder will draw 1 card from the deck and place it into the market. So, 63 - 1 = 62 remaining in the draw deck at the beginning of the second round.

6. Following the same pattern, you will have 18 cards (instead of 21) in the draw deck at the beginning of the final (4th) round, which is not enough for a single round in a 6 player game.

So, my point is... Shouldn't we remove 4 cards from the beginning of the game in a 6 player game? I could be totally wrong, but can anybody clarify this?

P.S. If I'm correct in pointing this out, what would be a corrective move for a 5 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krit1789 wrote:
4. During the 1st round. 84 - (6+5+4+3+2+1) = 63 remaining in the draw deck

5. At the final moment of the 1st round, the last remaining bidder will draw 1 card from the deck and place it into the market. So, 63 - 1 = 62 remaining in the draw deck at the beginning of the second round.

You just double counted the last player. The 1 in step 4 is the card for the last remaining bidder that goes into the market.

Round 2 begins with 63 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Ornella
France
Dijon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, correct.

Please follow this:

1. 112 cards in total (96 goods cards + 16 dealer cards)

2. Remove 4. So 112 - 4 = 108

3. Deal 4 to each of 6 players. So 108 - (4 X 6) = 84 remaining in the draw deck

4. During each round you draw from the deck (6+5+4+3+2+1) = 21 cards

5. The rule you mention is only saying that the last card you draw (the "1" in the above sum) is not auctioned (because there is only one player available for auction), and is immediately put in the Byzanz market. In any case the total number of cards that are drawn from the deck each round is 21.

6. Now with 84 cards in the deck (see point 3.) you have 84/21 = 4 rounds. With no cards left at the end of the 4th round.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Bye and Happy New Year!
Emanuele
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y Kim
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Problem in the 5 or 6 player game
Thank you so much, Steven and Emanuele!
Now it's clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.