Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a good place to start this report is with the setup. So, I made a monstrously complicated track, using extensions 1, 2, and 4 with the base. We had 8 players. Of important note for this story: we play this game on my pool table. We've found this minimizes or eliminates the places where the track sits funny from the joints in the table where the leaves are. This is a return table (old bar table), so the pockets connect to tracks that return the balls to a central location. We put "red party cups" in the pockets to prevent the cars from getting in there. This will come up later.

Anyway, we all take off from the start, make it through the curve on a straight piece, and get around the series of curves leading to the first jump. At this point the field is in two parts: at the head is Jason (white) and Houston (green)who've just cleared the jump, with the rest of us behind the it. So, the first jump leads to a curve, then up the hill to the second level, jump across a gap, then down the hill to a few more curves and the finish line. So, they charge up the hill to the second jump, while the rest of us are approaching (or stuck at) the first jump, trying to catch up. Jason is blocking Houston from making an easy shot, so he tries to get around. Lines it up, makes the jump shot, and missed, flying towards the corner pocket. Well, that is what the cups are there for....except when it hits the cup hard enough to slip by it and roll down the ball track. Oops. No worries though, it will just drop into the inner body of the table, and that one is close to the access access door for the inner body (these types of tables are designed so that running a ball through will push chalk blocks that fall into the pocket through a hole in the bottom of the track so you can pull it later). So, Houston sits out while the rest of us play until he can get the disc out. Flashlight, can't see it. Pocket camera, take a picture down the side of the table to find out where it is....and it rolled to the other end of the table. So, we played, everyone enjoyed the challenge the new parts provided (though we decided I should definitely use some of the scrap 2x4s in the garage to make new blocks). And Houston sat most of the game. After losing the one car in the table, we stuffed some towels in the pockets so we didn't lose any more cars, and continued the race. Of course, with his only competition out, Jason won handily. And I learned a lesson: Jumps are evil when they are elevated. Also, use towels to block the pockets next time.

As a happy ending, Jason stuck around to help me get the car out of the far end of the pool table. This involved:
1. Using a coat hanger to try and hook it, whole taking pictures periodically with the pocket camera to find out how far off we were.
2. Using the shop vac to try and suck the car up and have access to it.
3. Duct taping a super-bright LED flashlight to a mini-tripod with a small webcam on top, hooking that up to my laptop, and using the image to guide the coat hanger to try and get the disc out.
4. Using the above camera rig to guide the shop vac hose.

All of this took about an hour and a half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
United Kingdom
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
personwholives wrote:

As a happy ending, Jason stuck around to help me get the car out of the far end of the pool table. This involved:
1. Using a coat hanger to try and hook it, whole taking pictures periodically with the pocket camera to find out how far off we were.
2. Using the shop vac to try and suck the car up and have access to it.
3. Duct taping a super-bright LED flashlight to a mini-tripod with a small webcam on top, hooking that up to my laptop, and using the image to guide the coat hanger to try and get the disc out.
4. Using the above camera rig to guide the shop vac hose.

All of this took about an hour and a half.

Sounds like more fun than playing the game... and I love Pitch Car

Man, I would have given up after 1. and 2. Tenacity and invention get you a thumb.

Edit: Whoops! thumbed my own post by mistake. All better now, though. Anyone able to tell me how to unthumb a post as I feel like a self-promoting jerk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Microver99 wrote:
Edit: Whoops! thumbed my own post by mistake. All better now, though. Anyone able to tell me how to unthumb a post as I feel like a self-promoting jerk?

Clicking the now greyed-out thumb button again should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
United Kingdom
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Doug. Simple when you know how.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Microver99 wrote:

Sounds like more fun than playing the game... and I love Pitch Car

Man, I would have given up after 1. and 2. Tenacity and invention get you a thumb.

Yeah, we actually did have a lot of fun trying to get it back. Almost more fun then the game. But yeah, quite a night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
personwholives wrote:
Wow. Just Wow. LED flashlight + Duct tape + Web Cam + Coat Hanger. Just Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
personwholives wrote:
Wow. Just Wow. LED flashlight + Duct tape + Web Cam + Coat Hanger. Just Wow.

That's almost MacGyver level ingenuity isn't it? Colour me impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.