Subject: Worth getting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the few out there who have VAS: OoB, is this worth picking up? I have the original VAS book, and two years ago started a solo campaign, then lost all my notes and rosters after five or so battles.

Since then, Order of Battle has come out. As I plan to re-start a campaign soon, would it be worth getting this expansion as well?

I've been using a set of optional aircraft rules that had been posted on The Miniatures Page [which give endurance stats for range and turns in the air for most craft] and am happy with those. Any input from current owners/players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Does ANY of their 'subject matter' appeal to YOU for that? This were an "Addendum" of which included NEW "Rules" and the like, along with having "handy-dandy" OOB '411' at your INSTANT 'exposal'! Are there any another akin for other "eras"? YES! you does require "it", so GET!
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was pretty disappointing.

On the positive side, it does sort out the air rules somewhat, and gives you data for many new ships.

On the other hand, I found it difficult and frustrating sorting through the original rules, amended rules, and rules errata. I always seemed to be flipping through pages, changing back and forth between books, and checking the various editions of the in-house online magazine.

OOB is also poorly edited, and the additional ship counters are black and white, bound into the book on paper (not card), and still use that annoying font.

If they consolidated the whole mess into a single re-written volume, it would be a good purchase. As is, OOB just seems to be a cash grab.

I so like the VAS campaign system, and plan to keep using it, but I'll resolve the battles using another set of rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I had never heard any comments about this being a "must have expansion" (especially given the quite poor reception VAS was given here when it came out).

For my limited interest in naval games, VAS does what I wanted it to do. Looks like I'll be passing on OoB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Becker Jr
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Once you sort everything out and use someones or make your own cheat sheet the rules work very well and the expanded ships,coastal and plane rules make it sworth the purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.