Robo-Donald Scott and Erik talk about pimping your games
Giles adds his two cents worth

Reviews
Wasabi! reviewed by Erik
Backseat Drawing reviewed by Donald, Scott, and crew
Start Player reviewed by Erik
Shadows over Camelot: Merlin's Company reviewed by Donald, Scott, and crew

Outro
* Send questions, comments, or snide remarks, to onboardgames.net@gmail.com in the form of emails or mp3 files
* On Board Games is covered under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

Listen at: http://media.libsyn.com/media/onboardgames/OBG33_090122.mp3

Web Site: http://onboardgames.net/
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
Episode Link: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=425376
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for getting that one out Erik.

I'll be ready to run the next one within the next two weeks, and may even pirate the feed between now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, I'm just sorry it took so long.

Walsfeo wrote:
Thanks for getting that one out Erik.

I'll be ready to run the next one within the next two weeks, and may even pirate the feed between now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Giles! Where are your Heroquest pics?

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I walked in the door not two hours ago from my trip to Canberra for the CANCON/Australian Games Expo. It was a huge weekend!

I have to say a massive G'Day! To all those OBG listeners who came and said G'day to me - I really appreciated your kind comments and hellos. I hope you had as good a time at the convention as I did - and keep an ear open for an upcoming episode where I talk more about my CANCON/AGE experiences.

In other news - Episode 33 must have been posted just after Mrs. P and myself left for Canberra last week. So, I had been waiting to take and post the photos until the episode aired. Sorry that these weren't posted sooner, but here they are in all their glory

The evil minions... Not the best, most finished paint job in the world, but enough to add a sense of atmosphere and fun! These haven't been varnished yet, I plan on using a glass coat to bring out the colours more, and because I think that the gloss and paint job will suit the style of the game.

The sticks and stones... probably would fetch a reasonable estimate on the Antiques Roadshow, well, if they were real...

The men of Heroquest, the miniatures from the game have been replaced with some from Games Workshop, Ral Partha, and an older company that produced Lord of the Rings Minis called Mithril.

The wymen of Heroquest, why should the blokes have all the fun? Kylie, my wife, loves the odd game of Heroquest, so I bought these from Reaper miniatures to give her an alter-ego on the board...

I also use some of these minis as replacements in games like Return of the Heroes and Prophecy...

These have been fun to paint! When I finally finish them off I will add another picture or two to the guild...

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Kalla
Canada
flag msg tools
i've never played Heroscape, but i must say those minis look pretty cool. nice painting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rich! The Heroes are from a mix of miniature brands, from Games workshop to Mithril miniatures. The furniture and evil minions are all from the base game though.

If you ever get the chance Heroquest is a great 'family' level complexity dungeoncrawl! Good game.

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bumpypete wrote:
i've never played Heroscape, but i must say those minis look pretty cool. nice painting!

When Giles said
caradoc wrote:

The men of Heroscape, ...

The wymen of Heroscape ...

He was misleading you. This was HeroQuest, not Heroscape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahahaha - I kept typing those indiscriminately. I thought i went back and changed them...

Time for another edit

Thanks Don!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cheadle
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just now got on and took a look WOW those are cool.
I painted some minis from warhammer and I think my 6 year old could do a better job.

For sure that is one way to pimp out a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard von Gunten
Switzerland
Täuffelen
Bern
flag msg tools
3B RULEZ
badge
3B RULEZ
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the fact, that I haven't touched a paint brush since school I liked the episode :-) Thanks again guys!

Some weeks ago I played in a BattleLore tournament. Not painting the miniatures also made things pretty easy ... "Yes, the grey ones are all mine!" :-) Ok winning a tournament with unpainted miniatures is a bit evil, but felt good hehe.

Is there a service where one can send those and get painted? Prisons perhaps? devil

Edit: Pimp up the wiki!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcbs wrote:
I just now got on and took a look WOW those are cool.
I painted some minis from warhammer and I think my 6 year old could do a better job.

For sure that is one way to pimp out a game.

Thanks Michael! I haven't finished yet, I have been distracted by the Aussie Games Expo and the beginning of school - but I will be umping back in and getting them done soon! I'll post another pic or two once they are fully painted.

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bvongunten wrote:
Besides the fact, that I haven't touched a paint brush since school I liked the episode :-) Thanks again guys!

Some weeks ago I played in a BattleLore tournament. Not painting the miniatures also made things pretty easy ... "Yes, the grey ones are all mine!" :-) Ok winning a tournament with unpainted miniatures is a bit evil, but felt good hehe.

Is there a service where one can send those and get painted? Prisons perhaps? devil

Edit: Pimp up the wiki!

As long as you did an evil laugh at the end of it!

Mwahahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brenton t vallade
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running a little behind in my podcasts and this may be a late reply but during the episode you asked when do you know when to pimp you game. for me the main indication that i need to pimp at least the packing and or unpacking of a game is when i pass up playing a game only because the set up and or tear down is just a pain in the a$%. if im not playing a game just because of this something needs to be done.

thanks Brentont
Downriver Boardgame Association
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/downriverboardgameassoci...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
brentont wrote:
... for me the main indication that i need to pimp at least the packing and or unpacking of a game is when i pass up playing a game only because the set up and or tear down is just a pain in the a$%. if im not playing a game just because of this something needs to be done.
Great answer! I agree completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik - great reviews of Wasabi! and Start Player. I heartily concur with your opinions on both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
Erik - great reviews of Wasabi! and Start Player. I heartily concur with your opinions on both!

First, are you related to Ben Lott? Second, did Erik pay you to say that?

Oh, checking your profile you are Blott's bro. Welcome aboard to BGG, and On Board Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
Erik - great reviews of Wasabi! and
Start Player. I heartily concur with your opinions on both!

Woot!

Take that Scott and Don! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Kalla
Canada
flag msg tools
i'm not sure if this is considered pimping a game, but i think it is..

CARD SLEEVESSSSS

has anybody started sleeving the cards in their board games?? i've asked a couple shops here in edmonton, canada and they're trying to start shipping in the special 'board game size' sleeves. i'm not sure if this is a new thing for everybody but for me it is. i'm excited to get my hands on some of these and slap my starcraft, citadels, and fairytale etc. cards in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bumpypete wrote:
i'm not sure if this is considered pimping a game, but i think it is..

CARD SLEEVESSSSS
Card sleeves are certainly a value add. If I'm going to play a game enough that the cards are in peril, then it's certainly worth thinking of protecting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United States
Land O Lakes
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to this card sleeve idea. Does this mean that you would keep your cards in the the sleeves while playing, so for instance Pandemic you would sleeve the cards and try to play/shuffle with the sleeves on? If so, that seems rather unruly. I can only imagine how difficult this would be with really big decks of cards. I thought about this and have come to terms with the fact that THEY'RE GAMES! They are meant to be played with and wear out. If you are doing this for investment sake, well then buy the box and stick it in a glass display case, never to be used for 50 years. While I am particular about the condition of my games and try to make sure that people don't destroy/abuse them, the sleeves thing just seems to take that obsession to a whole new level. I'm not saying you can't convince me to use sleeves, just that I'm not there yet.

Interested in your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonesey wrote:
I'm new to this card sleeve idea. Does this mean that you would keep your cards in the the sleeves while playing, so for instance Pandemic you would sleeve the cards and try to play/shuffle with the sleeves on?

Absolutely! If I have a game like citadels where the play is very rough on the (character) cards, yet the information has to be kept secret I'm very likely to sleeve the cards. (In this case I have.) However for other games where the cards aren't likely to go out of print, or they won't suffer from excessive handling during game play, there really is not point.

Jonesey wrote:
If so, that seems rather unruly. I can only imagine how difficult this would be with really big decks of cards. I thought about this and have come to terms with the fact that THEY'RE GAMES! They are meant to be played with and wear out.
A very valid point, that it can be unruly, but I tend to put sleeves on games with small decks so it doesn't hurt randomization, or where replacing the cards will be more of a hassle than buying and sleeving them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United States
Land O Lakes
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK Don. I think I'm convinced. I just received Pillars of the Earth, and this looks like the perfect example of where some sleeves are needed. Do you have any suggestions on where I can find sleeves for these cards? They are so small!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United States
Land O Lakes
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While on the subject Pillars of the Earth, and since this thread is about Pimping Your Game; have you seen these images?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.